United States
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 58m 43s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I had a long run (17 miles) scheduled for the weekend and I decided on Friday that it would be more fun to do most of it in a race. So on Saturday after my long ride, I registered for the race. I got up at 6am Sunday, showered, grabbed a bagel and some water and headed to Littleton (race start).
Event warmup:

I got to the race site early and ran out the first 2 miles and back. I arrived at the starting line about 15 minutes before the start, went to the back of the pack and waited to go.
Run
  • 1h 58m 43s
  • 13.9 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

This was strictly a training run for me - not a race, so I didn't push at all. I did my four (4) mile warm-up at about 9:30's, then started the "race" at the same pace. I stayed with that until mile 4, then began to pick it up but I kept a close eye on my HR to stay in Zone 2 and adjusted as needed. I felt like I could have gone faster, but it was nice to just cruise and enjoy a race setting without worrying too much about what was going on. After we were re-routed, I didn't know the course was long, and I spent several minutes trying to figure out how I had badly mis-calculated my time splits. Then a biker came by and told me what had happened. I thought that I was losing my mental clarity at the time and I was trying to figure out how a 13 (17) mile run could do that to me. I was sorry about the suicide, but I was happy to know that I wasn't completely unable to think clearly.
What would you do differently?:

Looking back, I should have eaten more for breakfast. I'm not sure what I was thinking just having a bagel. So, I ended up drinking more GU02 than I wanted too. Still, it was fine, I just needed to plan a little better.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around the finish area, saw some friends from work (who are smoking fast runners) and from the gym. Got in line for a free massage. Looked over the free lunch and decided to pass. Burgers and Brats didn't look too appealing at the time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Umm, it was a training run for me. I'm pretty sure that kept me from going too hard. :)

Seriously, it was nice to be able to run at 8:30's and keep my HR well in check. I was very happy about that

Event comments:

I was impressed with the post-race activities. A decent lunch (as long as you aren't vegetarian), free massage (don't see that real often after a half marathon), some live music.

Last updated: 2006-04-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:58:43 | 13.9 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: The course ran along the trail next to the Platte River from downtown Littleton to Denver. Somewhere along the way, there was a body found in the river (not one of the runners - suicide I think) so they had to re-route us; hence the longer course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-03 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)
Subject: Platte River Trail Half Marathon

2006-04-03 12:05 PM
in reply to: #386716

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Subject: RE: Platte River Trail Half Marathon
Great race!
Good dicipline too! Whenever I tell myself "I am just running a training run not a race" I end up racing anyway When other people are racing around me, it's hard not to try to beat them...

So what was the training run for? Marathon? Triathlon? Are you doing Colfax marathon by chance?

I agree on the food, I am sure it was awesome for meateaters, but at the least they should offer veggie burgers for vegetarians...
2006-04-04 10:28 AM
in reply to: #386716

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)
Subject: RE: Platte River Trail Half Marathon
Right now I'm "training" for the Steamboat Marathon (June 4th) - which is to say that it gives me a focus for running. I thought about the Colfax, but I'm not sure just yet. A buddy here at work is going to run it, so I might do it with him to help pace him under 4 hours. We'll see though. Long term is IMWI in Sept. The rest is just filler until then.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Platte River Trail Half Marathon Rss Feed