General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Try It On Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-03 3:20 PM

Subject: Try It On Triathlon
I did this last year and it was a blast. Good luck!

2006-04-16 9:21 AM
in reply to: #386973

User image

New user

Sáo Sebastiáo, Acores
Subject: RE: Try It On Triathlon
I am really looking forward to it. This will be my first Tri. How as the course? Pretty hilly? I did a rather hilly 5k yesterday down in Jackson, MS and it about killed me.
2006-04-20 1:21 PM
in reply to: #397540

The bike is really pretty flat, with one rather short, moderate climb, it wasn't a problem for me last year. (And I'm an athena). The part of the course right out of transistion area has a very slight downhill slope, which is kinda nice to get your momentum going when you start the bike or the run; however, that means you're gonna have to push just a little when coming into the transition or going to the finish line. It's an incline that isn't enough even be considered a hill, but it is an incline.

It was a great race, well-organized, filled with all types of athletes, and everyone was super encouraging.

If you are looking for another race, about the same length, there is the Soak Up the Sun tri in Jackson the weekend before the Tri-it-on.

Good luck!
2006-04-22 6:48 PM

User image

Regular
, Oklahoma
Good to know it's not that hilly. I can do them, but I'm not fast on them. Good luck to you guys too!!!
2006-04-30 10:16 PM
in reply to: #401706

User image

New user

Sáo Sebastiáo, Acores
RebelAthena - 2006-04-20 1:21 PM

The bike is really pretty flat, with one rather short, moderate climb, it wasn't a problem for me last year. (And I'm an athena).

Good luck!

After riding the course today I now realize that RebelAthena was pulling my chain. That course is very hilly with a 1/2 mile ascent halfway through the ride that is enough to kill even the best cyclist's average speed. It was a beautiful router though, with lots of fun descents and curves and great shade throughout! I can't wait for the race.
2006-05-02 11:37 PM
in reply to: #410693

What??? Have they changed this course this year? Last year's tri-it-on was my first tri ever, and I did it on a hybrid, with no problems, and I remember the course to be pretty navigable. I do remember one climb in the middle of the course, but it didn't strike me as too intense. There was certainly no chain pulling intended. Good luck.

2006-05-03 3:15 PM

User image

Regular
, Oklahoma
I drove over it earlier this week, and while it's not really hilly, not like Buster Britton, I wouldn't say it's not hilly either. RebelAthena, how well do they do with traffic at this race? When I was out there it was really busy and could make this difficult. I don't think they close the course, do they?
2006-05-06 7:31 PM
in reply to: #413896

No, they do not close the course; however, I remember the course to have sufficient volunteers to keep the ride smooth. Because the race starts so early, I didn't have any problems during the first part of my ride; however, because the ride inevitably goes into the 7:30ish time, people start getting out and about that time of morning. I remember around the 6 mile mark or so, I got a little tense. I am a worry rider (I don't particularly like riding with cars) -- I do remeber at one point, I was riding along side of cars who were backed up at a traffic light. or from someone taking a left. The issue at that point was (1) people trying to pass on the left with a car on that side, and (2) trying to stay right for the cars and other bikes when there was little no shoulder. Again, most of the part of the ride is through a residential area and the whole course has great support.
2006-05-25 8:33 AM

User image

Regular
, Oklahoma
I just wanted to tell you guys good luck this weekend!!! I'm looking forward to finally doing my first race!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Try It On Triathlon Rss Feed