General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First timer Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-11-05 4:15 PM

Denver, CO
Subject: First timer
Howdy y'all.
The facts: Male - 6'6" - 255 lbs - 30 years old - out of shape (actually, someone told me round was a shape) Have wife, son & mortgage.

History: swam from diapers through high school - crew team as freshman in college. Since then I have gained about 65 pounds (but recently lost about 20) and have a spare tire that some monster trucks would like to have in there arsenal.

Goal: participate in Mrs. T's Chicago Triathlon 2004 with my brother (also 1st timer to tri's but much thinner than I) Inspiration was my brother's wife that just ran Chicago Marathon. That and wanting to get into shape, prove something to myself, its a great challange, want to get into shape and be around for my son.

Problems: I feel more like a 260 pound brick when in the water these days than
a person with a swimming background. I can grit out running on a treadmill, but have a difficult time jogging more than a block. Finally, I haven't ridden a bike in 12 years. I'm afraid my butt is going to go on strike as soon as I start that part of my workouts.

Questions: What's the best way to get started? I've started working out at a local rec center close to my house and have used the treadmill a couple times now. I know I have to just start, which I have. That was the first hurdle. Now I'm trying to get my body ready for real exercise by lifting light weights and useing the treadmill & eliptical machines. Where do I go from there once my body is ready for more serious training? Would setting up a time line with a goal to be able to complete 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 of a full triathlon be realistic and use the rec center equipment on a Saturday for a mini-tri be a good idea?

How much can I expect to pay out within the next year on equipment and what type of equipment should I be looking at and need?

Thank you in advance for your opinions and advise! I look forward to reading them.

2003-11-05 7:41 PM
in reply to: #1596

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: First timer
Glad to have you on board!

I think the best thing is for you to just stay active, with swim, bike and run. You will no doubt drop some poundage from being more active. I would do this slowly and then after then on Jan 1st I would start following one of the programs for sprints found here at BT. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/sprint%20programs.htm

You can spend as little as you want and on the other hand spend as much as you want on equipment. You will spend the most on your bike. Go make yourself a friend at your local bike shop and have him tell you what you should be looking for and what size frame you will need. Shops will sometimes run across a used bike for you.

Don't neglect getting a good running shoe. Don't go out and buy a shoe because it looks good or that’s what the pros are wearing. Get a shoe that will support you and is designed for your needs. Most people will buy a great bike, spend hours getting fit on it and will neglect their feet.

You are on the right track and making the right steps. Hang around here and you will find your way.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-11-06 6:11 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Welcome to the site. I am finding that the more people that introduce themselves the more we all have in common. As I read your 'facts', although different .....the song remains the same! I'm 35 and I just started my training Nov 1st and one of the best things I have heard from many is to keep a log and to map out a strategy. I use this site for my log and I use a spreadsheet for my workout schedule. I have had to change my thinking in some areas, such as there are actually to 5 o'clocks in a day not just one in the evening.
I have also seen many books recommeded to read. I would pick one of them up, I read 'Triathlon 101' and found it very easy to read, informative and gave me the desire to learn more. Plus I also think visiting this website pretty regularly has helped. I see others wanting to start or continue with there training and it motivates me to want to be apart of it. However you do it, keep doing it. After one week I feel great already. A new goal and plenty of time to enjoy the journey up to race day.
2003-11-06 3:54 PM

User image

Champion

keep it slow and conservative to avoid injuries...if u can only run a block, then start a walk/run routine...walk 5 minutes, run a block - repeat...until u can eliminate walking minutes b/w your runs.  another walk run is on the site at 'getting started'

biking is also a great place to start if u have some extra weight that is making it hard to run.  use your gyms cycle and just start building minutes (follow 10% rule) if bike outside, get properly fitted first as it will make a huge difference in comfort and leg injury prevention.

keep at the swim...

SO, maybe focus on some good biking first AND a good diet PLUS some lifting and maybe a little swimming...THEN phase in your run/walks and some regular swimming in a few months as, hopefully, u will have experienced some weight loss and your body is 'warming up'...this will be a lot easier on your system as opposed to all at once...

u should be able to do some sprints in 2004, then see how your body is doing and evaluate 2005

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First timer Rss Feed