Charlottesville Track Club
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

up at 5:45, coffee and patmeal, trying to decide what to wear, it was overcast and 62 at 6am and a bit breezy
Event warmup:

walked/jogged about 3/4 mile to the start from my hotel, tried to stay warm out in the wind
Run
  • 1h 51m
  • 10 miles
  • 11m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Race started on an uphill, just a preview of things to come. Also, as soon as the starting gun went off the sun came out and there wasn't a clud in the sky, the temp climbed 5 to 10 degrees and I had no hat or sunglasses

First mile was rolling hills, followed by more hills, and then more hills. Pretty tough for a flatlander girl. I was trying to run conservatively, not pushing too hard on the uphills and trying to relax on the flats and roll on the downhills; unfortunately not too many downhills the first 4 miles.

Finally got rolling a bit on mile 4, nice long downhill into downtown; I started getting pretty warm, at each drink station I started taking 2 cups of water, one to drink and one to pour on myself. Everytime I thought the course had a break we'd turn a corner and there'd be another uphill; especially mile 7 and 8 climbing back up to UVA campus. Last mile was back to the rolling hills back to the finish; what a happy sight. :)
What would you do differently?:

not much, I do some hill training on our bridges, but it's hard to simulate that type of course around here
Post race
Warm down:

got some food and drink (non alcoholic), walked back to the hotel, I had to shower and get back to my running medicine conference which is why I was up in Charlottesville in the first place

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of hills where I live and train, but I was happy with how I handled the course; especially in the heat, definitely the toughest course I have raced

Event comments:

This is a great race; gets bigger every year. 2300+ runners this year. Despite the tough course it is a great event, extremely well organized with lots of volunteers and local community support.

Last updated: 2006-03-26 12:00 AM
Running
01:51:00 | 10 miles | 11m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: very hill course through UVA campus and through downtown Charlottesville, a very pretty but challenging course
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes