Boca Road Runners
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 59m 28s
Overall Rank = 390/434
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/12
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6. Ate a bowl of Frosted Flakes - the breakfast of champions. :) Took a shower. By the time I got out my baby was crying so I had to go nurse him to calm him down. It didn't work, my husband had to get up with him and give him some Cheerios to keep him happy while I quickly finished getting ready.
Event warmup:

I was planning on walking to the race since it was about a mile away, but since I took so much longer then I planned with the baby I decided to drive. I didn't warm up much, just walked around the race site looking for my friends from work.
Run
  • 59m 29s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a really nice run for me. I started out running with my friends from work but I ended up going ahead about a mile into the race. I got a side cramp that stayed with me off and on the whole race at about mile 2, but it was never debilitating as long as I shoved my hand into my side. Around mile 3 I saw the a man who was going about my pace - I cauht up to him and made some small talk. We ended up running together almost the whole way. He made a huge difference in my run - I would never have kept up such a good, even pace without him - I know I would have slowed down. I tried to speed up near the end but couldn't do it so I told my pacer to go ahead and he did. We finihsed my coming into the park where I saw my friend who had run the 5K and my family. I was so happy because it was their first time at one of my races. I was extra happy when I saw the clock at 59 minutes so I sped up to the finish to make it in under an hour - my secret goal! :)

I loved running a race in my own neighborhood - it was so great to be able to know where I was going and recognize the landmarks. I wish there were more near me!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

My kids were doing their first "fun run" and were SO excited. They had their "My Mom Tris" shirts and their numbers pinned on front. Thet did great, got their medals, took lots of pictures, then played in the bounce house for about 1/2 hour while I rested.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Practice - maybe now that I know I cna run these distances I'll start to throw in some speedwork.

Last updated: 2006-04-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:59:29 | 06.21 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/12
Overall: 390/434
Performance: Good
I couldn't remember how to use the split feeature on my watch so I just had to try to keep track in my head. It went something like 10,10,10,10,9.5, 9.5.
Course: Started off on A1A right in front of the beach. Ran about 1.5 miles down A1A along with the 5K runners. They turned around and we turined right into a nice neighborhood. Ran all through the neighborhood and back to A1A. Finished by running into the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-04-04 3:21 PM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Subject: Bull Run 10K

2006-04-06 7:27 AM
in reply to: #388242

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Bull Run 10K
Nice job Amy!  I can't imagine talking during a race, so I'll bet you can go even faster   Can't wait to see what happens once you add in some speedwork!  When's the next one???
2006-04-06 12:22 PM
in reply to: #388242

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: RE: Bull Run 10K
Nice run!  Keep up the good work!  And yes- speedwork sucks but it will make you faster
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bull Run 10K Rss Feed