General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Time for open water swim. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-28 9:20 AM

Subject: Time for open water swim.
Hello, I am a new member, and a brand new triathlete(in training).

I was wondering, in general how much time would you add for an open water swim compared to a pool swim? I would imagine it would depend a lot on location (ocean/lake) and conditions. But in general what do you think is a good rule of thumb?

I have always enjoyed running and biking. I have tried to train for marathons, and got burned out with just running, and I never had a good group to train with or keep me motivated. I just started swimming this month (I could use some tips on form also). I really enjoy the transition and what each element of the triathalon brings to the table. It keeps me excited and motivated, and it doesn't get boring. I have been doing drills in the pool, but today at the end of my session I decided to do a 400(the swim distance of my first triathalon) nice and easy. I finished it in 12:00.

Thanks for your advice!

2004-05-28 9:35 AM
in reply to: #27843

Champion
Subject: RE: Time for open water swim.
Hey Bryan, welcome to the forum and to the sport! I'm no expert, but I'm guessing your open water swim times will be reasonably close to your pool times, for fresh water at least, I've never done an ocean swim. As for technique, can you get an individual or group coaching session? I think that swimming is the one event of the three where formal instruction will produce the best results. It's hard to un-do years of bad habits without someone watching your form and giving hands-on instruction. Perhaps a local YMCA may have an adult or masters swim class?

Max
2004-05-28 9:39 AM
in reply to: #27843

Subject: RE: Time for open water swim.
I swim at the local YMCA. They actually have a triathalon club that meets once a week. I wanted to get a few sessions in on my own before I joined them. I am going to their training next week. Thanks for the advice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Time for open water swim. Rss Feed