www.ALSRide.org
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 54m 31s
Overall Rank = n/a/200
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Met up with Brett and some buddies that formed our own little peloton of Atlanta triathlon peeps. Last thing I heard prior to rolling was Brett (Rocketman) saying, "I am not going to drop anybody ... we're all sticking together" - and then I lost him as I stayed with my training buddy. (It was his first long ride of the year.)
Event warmup:

Pumped up my tires, checked my repair kit and grabbed my sunglassess ... and that was it. The start was a bit nipply but knew that it was going to warm up and did not want to be saddled with toting a jacket/vest for the rest of the day.

Also gambled that the race would be well supported as I only took 2 gels + one water bottle w/ Gatorade with me.
Bike
  • 3h 54m 31s
  • 62.74 miles
  • 16.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Great race - well organized and well supported. I met Bob Thompson's widow and she was so gracious about the participation and wouldn't hear of a compliment for hosting it ... super nice woman.

Doing the mountain metric race has inspired me to shoot to complete the infamous annual September Six Gaps Century - 10,000' of combined vertical climb over 6 Gaps over a 100 mile stretch of the north Georgia mountains.

What would you do differently?:

The race was well supported and food plentiful ... but there was a lack of beer availability at the finish line. A cold beer waiting for me after the 12 minute brick run upon completion would have been nirvana!
Post race
Warm down:

Ran for 12-15 minutes at a sub-8:00/mi pace ... just about killed me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Legs. The last climb was Wolf Pen and over three miles of vertical climb. My legs were fried halfway up the hill; it was nothing but grit to keep the wheels spinning, sometimes as slow as 4 mph, and not jump off to rest and/or push the damn thing up the mountain.

Event comments:

Love the race and cannot wait to do it again next year. Cycling events are great - the people are absolutely fantastic and helpful. Ended up passing out both my spare tube (Rocketman) and patch-kit to a random stranger ... and glad that I have been able to pass on/repay the favors I have received in other races.

It is things like this that make our sport great. (Although the roadies at the finish line gave us looks like we were nuts for jumping off our bikes and putting on our running shoes for a run around the perimeter ...especially the killer pace that Brett kept.)

Last updated: 2006-04-07 12:00 AM
Biking
03:54:31 | 62.74 miles | 16.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/200
Performance:
Well laid out course with plenty of rest stops along the way + rolling SAG support.
Wind:
Course: Great course with beautiful mountain scenery. The course makes up much of one of the Tour de Georgia stages and it was pretty cool to see the street graffiti urging Lance and Team Discovery on. I cannot remember a stretch longer than 2 miles that was actually flat -- either we were climbing or descending (and, time wise, there was a heckuvalot more climbing than descending). A good number of the roads were freshly paved. I took my Bianchi road bike w/ a triple - and quickly found that it is easy to run out of gears! Wolf Pen alone was 1419' of climb. Don't know if it was the combination of lack of oxygen through exercise exertion and bad judgment, but set a new personal best in doing the descent down Wolf Pen ... 44.3 mph. I would have gone faster but the roads were not closed to traffic and it had rained just that morning (meaning patches of gravel in the road from the water draining from one side to the other).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right