Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Picking a race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2003-11-06 10:42 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Picking a race
I have a triathlon in mind for '04, it's a sprint with 500K swim 17mi bike and a 5K run. My question is how long do I need or should I plan for between races? Is it really just up to me and my body, how I feel or is there a rule of thumb. I am hoping this goes the way I think it will and be wanting to do more. How many races should I be looking at in a season (my first)? I was thinking 3. June, July & August all about a month apart. I also plan on running in a 10K race in May. Any thoughts?

2003-11-06 4:02 PM
in reply to: #1608

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Picking a race

actually, it all depends on your $$$.  i'm sure we would race every weekend if we had the cash.  every month sounds reasonable though...listen to your body and give it a ez week every month.  if u are actually training the distance (optimally a little longer) of the events u wish to enter, than their is no reason why u can't race monthly.  your race is essentially a long 'brick' workout.

hey...this would be great...if your up to regular olympic distance training and have that as a base - race olympic every weekend and for your ez week a month, do a sprint.  that would be cool.

2003-11-06 6:04 PM
in reply to: #1619

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Picking a race
That is an excellent idea and since you thought of it, I will let you pick the first month's 4 races for the both us to compete in ;-)!!!
I am pretty excited by this all, it feels good to workout again and it feels really good to have a goal. However, my body may say only two next year, I am hoping that isn't the case. My first Tri will be at the end of June and I don't know if I can wait that long. I picked it because it was close to home, cheaper, less stress. I do have plenty of time to get into good shape with all the events. Lot's of time to develop a base and work into more advanced training all before the race. I didn't want to go in under prepared. I don't need to win, but I do want to finish.....with a smile on my face .
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Picking a race Rss Feed