United States
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 58m 26s
Overall Rank = 181/312
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 19/27
Pre-race routine:

Had changed tubes and tires a few days prior so felt good about the wheel integrity.

I arrived as guided at about 7:30 a.m. Upper 50's, sun rising in a clear sky to the east. No wind. Stayed at the car and dismounted the bike; checked it out. I had released some of the tire pressure so pumped the tires up to about 100 psi (700x23). Used painter's blue tape and taped three Gu's to the top bar. Filled my bottles since organizers indicated that we couldn't do this in the transition area. Put a few bananas in my tri bag, bike pump, spare tube, extra bottles of G'ade, a few Gu's, sunglasses, running hat, riding gloves, and took the bike to the transition area.

Set everything up fairly quickly, checked out whatever others were doing and realized that I did everything pretty much like everybody else. Patted myself on the back for getting it right the first time (or so I thought)...

Event warmup:

Walked around quite a bit, drank lots of fluids between 7:30 and 8:15 which would come back to haunt me later. "Pissed clear" so knew that I was hydrated enough. At about 20 minutes before the start I began stretching -- lower back, knees, ankles, quads, etc.
Run
  • 25m 23s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was fine overall. Started way too fast -- first mile was in 7:44 (I did that?) which is probably a PR for me. I knew I had to keep slowing down but my HR was fine -- well under my LT of ~170 (my first mile HR Avg was 155). Had to force myself to slow down, which I did. My Avg HR for the next two miles was 163, which felt good.
What would you do differently?:

1. Start slower. Really. Force myself to start slower. Thinking it wasn't enough -- I had to really work at slowing down.
2. Drink earlier in the morning and ensure that I was voided long before the race. I could feel the bladder pressure near the end of the first 5K and knew it was going to be a long day...
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

Ok, my first T1. Most of my rack was gone, so I suppose that THAT was good, but I thought I was doing pretty well on the run only to have one other person in my area... hmmmmmmmm I need to push harder than 8:12/mi?

Anyways, way too much stuff to put in my jersey. Bike pump (not yet on bike), spare tube, banana. Get my skull cap on, get my helmet on, get my shoes changed, get the bike unhooked and hustle out of the area. Shoot -- the mounting area is PACKED with people... cleared the T1 mat and got on the bike as soon as I could... started the bike odometer and I was off! Had put the bike on the 23 cog so was easy to get going...

Out of the 27 in my age group I was 24th in overall time in T1 -- definately room for improvement.

1. Mount the bike pump on the bike, not carry it like I normally do.
2. Carry the spare tube on the bike
3. Practice the transition at home...

Bike
  • 1h 03m 47s
  • 19.88 miles
  • 18.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Having to pee sucks when you're hunched over on a bike...

Overall, the bike leg was good. Some headwind on the out leg, with average speeds ranging from 13.3/mi to 16.9/mi. On the return leg with the tail winds average speeds ranged from 18.2/mi to 20.8/mi. Could have pushed harder in hindsight, but I had no idea how the next run was going to go so kept my HR down.

1. Ride more to my HR instead of my comfort zone. I had lots of capacity in my HR and didn't take advantage of it. I normally train in the 150's on the bike and should have averaged this for the entire bike leg, but instead only averaged 148 with a peak of 159. I should have pushed my LT on the peak at least near 170. I was worried about the upcoming 5K run and wanted to ensure I didn't bonk.
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

Coming in off the bike leg wasn't too bad. Had a bunch of stuff in my jersey which I forgot to unload (pump, tube) and just as I was leaving the T2 area realized this and had to go back and unload. Same time as T1 but I was more efficient, just doubled the distance.

Not carry anything in my jersey that I didn't want to run with...
Run
  • 25m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Actually had negative splits on the miles as this leg went on - felt good. Averaged 2:01/ qtr mile for the last 3/4 of the race. HRs were steadily climbing from 156 to a finish of 180 peak.

Nothing. This felt good.
Post race
Warm down:

Did some light stretching and walked around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I wasn't sure how much capacity I had for all three events and I didn't want to bonk, so I kept myself slow.

Additionally, I'm training for Memphis in May, and since I'm fundraising for this event, I didn't want to hurt myself (given my recent knee problems).

Last updated: 2005-12-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:23 | 03.11 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/27
Overall: 217/312
Performance: Good
Mi 1: 7:44, Avg HR: 155 Mi 2: 8:02, Avg HR: 163 Mi 3: 8:45, Avg HR: 163 End: 1:11
Course: The course is an abandoned airstrip that hasn't seen runway traffic in over 30 years by my estimate. Pot holes, gravel, weeds, about 50% shade. Only thing going for it was that it was flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
T1
Time: 02:05
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:03:47 | 19.88 miles | 18.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/27
Overall: 159/312
Performance:
The first 11 miles Avg HR ranged from 151 - 155. From mile 11 onward my Avg HR was a steady 142 according to the records.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Relatively flat the entire course over the back roads of lower Tidewater. Good road conditions overall.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:01 | 03.11 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/27
Overall: 159/312
Performance: Good
corrupted first mile data 2 mi: 8:20/ mi @ 159 HR 3 mi: 8:09/ mi @ 164 HR end: 1:19/0.1 mi @ 174 HR
Course: Same as first 5K.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-07 6:48 PM

User image

Regular
Vienna, VA
Subject: Fifth Annual Virginia Duathlon

2006-04-08 12:42 PM
in reply to: #391169

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Fifth Annual Virginia Duathlon

Hey Paul,

Great race and congratulations on your first multi-sport race.  I'm impressed with the faster second 5k.  I think you've learned one of the hardest things about these races: pacing.  I think it's getting over the idea of wether you can go the distance or not.  You're going to do great at Memphis.

Go Hokies.

Ernie

2006-04-08 1:32 PM
in reply to: #391169

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: Fifth Annual Virginia Duathlon
Awesome job on your first multi-sport race!  Good luck in Memphis. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fifth Annual Virginia Duathlon Rss Feed