General Discussion Race Reports! » Quantico Down & Dirty Cross Country 8K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Quantico Down & Dirty Cross Country 8K - Run8k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Quantico, Virginia
United States
USMC SemperFit
59F / 15C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 00m 27s
Overall Rank = 286/342
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 21/32
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30 AM, look out the window and see the forecast rain hasn't materialized and it's 59 degrees out to boot. Time to swap out the tights for the shorts! Little did I know I'd be praying for rain in a few hours.

Coffee & a bagel before taking off. Quantico has same day packet pickup & with the races having a smaller field, it's really no hassle to just get there a little early. Plug in the ipod pre-race playlist in the car for the drive down. A good pre-race playlist will result in one of two things - you'll be ready to a) race or b) invade a small country. If it's a really good playlist, you'll cross the finish line and then find the nearest guy in uniform and commandeer the keys to his tank. (What can I say, I am all about the mental preparation.)
Event warmup:

Helped a fellow racer get his packet & chip & such, it was his first time down at Quantico and he said, "Hey, you look like you know what you're doing!" followed by stretching out to get ready. This is the warmest start temp I've encountered so far in a race.

Run
  • 1h 00m 27s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 12m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

First, new rule: If it's above 57 degrees at the start, just ditch the t-shirt because it's going to be gone by the first mile anyway. Since it's a small race, it's self seeding, so I just started near the back and off we went. I quickly fell in with a group, 3 young men who I am pretty sure were under orders to do the race and a Mom & son duo, the little one being referred to as "got milk" for the rest of the race by the four of us, as that was on the back of his t-shirt. And we pretty much only saw the BACK of his shirt the whole time.

I do believe this is what would be referred to as a "technical" course - if "technical" means "at least 75% of it is straight up or straight down". After we took off, we went around some turns and such, nice gravel trail, pretty trees, very nice. And then we look ahead and see the pack turning - someone behind me says, "Why are they going STRAIGHT UP?" This is when I thank my lucky stars I have hills all over my neighborhood. So, straight up we go.

It seems that it's ALL uphill for a while. Really, we have to hit a peak at SOME point right? Finally, we do, and the trail narrows considerably so it's single file down, and pretty much everyone is walking it so as not to fall & kill themselves. Works for me. We quickly get into a routine of more walking than running the ups & downs just to keep from wiping out, but it works - going fast on the flats isn't so bad when there seems to be so few of them. Got Milk is the exception and gets these bursts of speed going up the hills. We are all in awe. I do see a couple Marines wipe out on the downhills - while I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone, it does make me feel better to see it happen to the guys that run here all the time, so I know my inevitable fall isn't so bad.

By the water stop around mile 2, I am still with the guys that I started with - they're trying to hijack the golf cart for a ride back, but to no avail. We get our water and walk a bit and take off again. I hear one say to the other, "You're going too fast!" and he replies, "No, I'm not, I'm just trying to keep up with HER!" and points at me. Yes, you can bet that put a big ol' smile on my face.

We come up to a large puddle and one threatens to run through it and then jumps aside at the last minute - I tell him he's a wuss, and you can bet the next one we hit, we both went straight through it. This also feels really good, because there is still no rain. I am really getting into this now, I am definitely getting in touch with my inner mountain goat. I am taking the downhills without having to slow down much anymore, and my eye/foot coordination is working very well as I'm able to see where I need to be putting my feet going down and I am literally bouncing side to side down these, and having a blast.

Somewhere around mile 3, there are actually stairs going down part of the trail - I am trying to be extra careful on them, but I hit the very last one and it was VERY slick, my feet went straight out from under me and I landed right on my butt. Fortunately, I'm decently padded back there and frankly, I think I bounced. There is a chorus of "Are you OK?" from behind me. "Yes, just extremely bruised dignity!" (I found out later that several people had the exact same thing happen there.)

Through some more flats, and another uphill - these I'm still taking slower than the downhills, and manage to trip or something right at the top of one - no damage done except a slightly scraped hand and a little more mud on me. Back up and at em. Got Milk is still charging along like a champ. In the fourth mile there are some of the most gorgeous views of the Potomac River from the trails - really breathtaking. And the rain starts. YAY! Just a light sprinkle, but better than nothing.

We hit the last water stop - they're telling us just a mile left! I ask, "Really, or are you just saying that to make me feel better?" "No, really!!!" I grab my water, take a couple sips and dump the rest on my head - I'm kinda warm at this point. The volunteer collecting cups said, "THAT is how you do it!!" Off for the last mile. Still more hills, but it's OK - I love the last mile, and frankly, I am really digging the hills. That voice in my head that says, "You can totally run a mile" chimes in just when I need it. We come to a turn and see the finish. Got Milk is ahead of me and the second he sees it, he takes off like a ROCKET. He's got folks at the finish yelling for him and all of us behind him as well, and his mother is trying not to have a stroke trying to keep up with him.

I manage to summon up a last good, strong sprint and am duly rewarded for the effort by several folks watching and yelling for me. I get through the finish, and of course, no one has the keys to any of the tanks sitting around.
What would you do differently?:

Toss the t-shirt before the start since I ended up taking it off before the first mile anyway.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, bagel, stretching. Grab bag and swap out soggy shoes for Tevas, get asked "You didn't run in those, did you?" Find the fellow runner I'd helped at the start, he's talking to a friend and points at me and says, "That's the girl I was chasing the entire time!" Yup, you can bet that put another smile on my face.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't think I could have gone faster unless I'd just rolled down the hills.

Event comments:

If you want to get in touch with your inner mountain goat, this course is for you. Very hilly and challenging and a ton of fun.

Last updated: 2005-12-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:00:27 | 04.97 miles | 12m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/32
Overall: 287/342
Performance: Good
Course: See the hill, take the hill. Honestly, at least 75% was steep hills, and muddy to boot with the recent rain. Very challenging.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-04-08 10:11 AM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: Quantico Down & Dirty Cross Country 8K

2006-04-08 12:33 PM
in reply to: #391351

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Quantico Down & Dirty Cross Country 8K

Hey Cindy,

Great race.  I was wondering how you did today while I watched the rain fall this morning.  It looks like you got most of the race in before the rain started.   I enjoyed the race report especially hearing about people chasing you through the course.  You sure it wasn't for the view?  I think you'll have to post pictures so that we can make a determination.

Congratulations and way to handle the hills.

Ernie

2006-04-08 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Very nice race under tough conditions!  It sounds like your inner mountain goat had a great time.

2006-04-08 2:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque, NM

Cindy - you just gotta admire your spirit!  This is one great race report, especially because you had so much fun!  I could actually picture the race.  You're too funny too, giving competitors monikers.

You should probably be careful though.  People might be getting the impression you are actually liking this stuff.

My turn tomorrow.

2006-04-09 11:05 AM

User image

Hollidaysburg, PA
Trail running rocks!!!! Glad you had a good time....check out my links, Evil and I are doing a trail run in Pittsburgh in June and then there is another one in September - you could join us?!
2006-04-09 11:53 AM
in reply to: #391772

User image

Elite

mtnchick13 - 2006-04-09 12:05 PM Trail running rocks!!!! Glad you had a good time....check out my links, Evil and I are doing a trail run in Pittsburgh in June and then there is another one in September - you could join us?!

I'll take a look! 

2006-04-09 11:55 AM
in reply to: #391421

User image

Elite
ejc999 - 2006-04-08 1:33 PM

Hey Cindy,

Great race. I was wondering how you did today while I watched the rain fall this morning. It looks like you got most of the race in before the rain started. I enjoyed the race report especially hearing about people chasing you through the course. You sure it wasn't for the view? I think you'll have to post pictures so that we can make a determination.

Congratulations and way to handle the hills.

Ernie

We lucked out with the rain, it didn't start in earnest until about 5 minutes after I finished - though that last mile I really wouldn't have minded!  Honestly, I was pretty shocked when the guy that was "chasing" me said that - we'd talked before the race and he apparently runs about 5 days a week, 3 miles - guess it's not on hills?  Also, the three guys that I fell in with at the start - I *dropped* them at some point around mile 3 I think - that never happens.   :-D

2006-04-09 11:56 AM
in reply to: #391442

User image

Elite
captantony - 2006-04-08 2:55 PM

Very nice race under tough conditions! It sounds like your inner mountain goat had a great time.

Oh she did!!   

2006-04-09 11:58 AM
in reply to: #391447

User image

Elite
tnt2tri - 2006-04-08 3:19 PM

Cindy - you just gotta admire your spirit! This is one great race report, especially because you had so much fun! I could actually picture the race. You're too funny too, giving competitors monikers.

You should probably be careful though. People might be getting the impression you are actually liking this stuff.

My turn tomorrow.

Thanks!!!  I think I enjoy writing the race reports as much as the races - I love trying to get as much across in print as I can as to what it really is like.  (And yeah, I do seem to be hooked!)

And you did awesome today! 

2006-04-09 12:09 PM

User image

Elite

You're too funny too, giving competitors monikers.

Oh, funny thing on that - the three guys that I started with (and dropped about halfway through) - I found them after they finished and they all asked "How did Got Milk do?!?" cause they knew he was right up in front of me.  Too cute.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Quantico Down & Dirty Cross Country 8K Rss Feed