Dallas Athletes
54F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 13m 1s
Overall Rank = 66/231
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/27
Pre-race routine:

Goals for this race were a 6:00 swim, 17.5 mph on the bike, and 7:30 miles on the run.

Woke up at 5:15, grabbed the prerequisite pre-race shower. Had a banana, Oatmeal Raisin Clif Bar, and a red Powerade. Got dressed, got our bikes loaded, and we were off.

Found the transition area easy enough. Saw a 13 year old who was doing her first tri attempting to get her numbers on her bike. I could tell her folks were a little confused, so I stopped for a minute to tie it on.

The transition bike racks were a free for all - no assigned spots. I hate that. Had a pickle of a time (a pickle? what are you, 80?) trying to find spots to rack our bikes. Finally was getting settled when they called out that transition area was closing in 5 minutes.

Yikes! Guess I should have gotten up at 5. Did a quick setup and lookover. Noticed one of my shoes was untied. Since I didn't have time to get it on and tie it, I just tied it with it off. Too tightly, as luck would have it. Got halfway to the pool when I remembered I had forgotten my goggles in my bag, so I zipped back to get them.

Made it inside, found Steve (sblack) and Marcy (dodgersmom). Checked out the pool, made the pre-race bathroom run. Then it was time. Forgot how much I missed racing. I had done plenty of running races and a du, but there's nothing like the experience waiting in line to get wet.
Event warmup:

Did a little calf stretching and shoulder loosening while waiting in line. Didn't have a chance to do much more than that.
Swim
  • 06m 17s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Passed quite a few people the first 150m. Then I got behind somebody that I just couldn't seem to get around. Tried at the 150m turn and again at 200m. Finally just gave up and drafted. Got my heart rate down nicely.

Forgot to start my watch. Oops. Guessed that I did about 6:15 or so. I was pretty close.
What would you do differently?:

Other than starting my watch, not much. I took it pretty easy once I decided it wasn't worth the effort to pass. Time was a little slower than my goal, but nothing major.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Hit a nice blast of cold wind upon exiting the pool. That was great.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 40m 29s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Seems repetitive, but this was my best bike split ever. Faster than my pre-race goal, so that's a bonus.

Was worried about being cold on the ride with the wind and not-so-warm temps, but that wasn't a problem. The Javelin tri suit dried in no time.

Wind wasn't as bad as I feard it would be. With the shape of the course, the wind was only in my face on the shortest stretch. Imagine a trapezoid or rhombus (nerd alert 2!), the E/W legs were about the same length. Wind was a crosswind there. The S leg was the longest, and it was with the wind. Nice. I dropped the hammer on that part and zoomed. Actually had the Rocky music in my head - Gonna Fly Now - when I was on that stretch. The N leg was the shortest, and it was uphill, so having the wind in my face was just gravy.

The only times I got passed on the first lap were by about 10 "fast" riders who were on their second lap. Ah...there's nothing else like the sound of a disc wheel coming up behind you. Otherwise I passed quite a few folks. Some moron was watering their yard on lap 1. Wind was kind enough to blow the water directly onto me. Nice.

Lap 2 I kept passing people. Finally got passed by two people on the next to last turn. At that point I was just cruising, getting my legs ready for the run. I'd see them again shortly.

Make sure to reset my computer. I had no idea what speed I was going other than doing it in my head based on my lap times and distance (nerd alert 3).

The one hill took more energy than it should have each time.

Other than I want a new tri bike. VIP is doing all she can. Maybe some new, lighter wheels would help? VIP needs to drop a few pounds. 26 is too heavy.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Got my helmet and shoes off with no worries. Tried to get my running shoes on and had issues. My right shoe that I had tied earlier was too tight. Rather than be patient and untie the thing, I put my foot in as best I could and stomped until it went on (smart, very smart). Due to the square dancing routine I was putting on, forgot to take off my sunglasses.

Make sure running shoes are loose enough to get them on.
Run
  • 22m 42s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Yeehaw! Passed the two folks who passed me on the bike, then I just started picking folks off left and right. Once I passed somebody, I moved on to the next person. No mile markers, so I guessed I was about a 7:30 pace. At the end of the first lap I got passed by some young punk (20 year olds are young punks now? well, you do hit 30 in a few months...maybe you're right). Other than him, nobody passed me.

Started to get tired when I passed the pool but kept pushing it. Not all out, probably about an 8 RPE. Finally hit the track for the last stretch. Muscle memory from high school came back, so I ran the last 300 pretty hard, not all out, but pretty hard. Caught a couple more folks before finishing.

Nothing. Best run leg ever. Less than a minute from my 5K PR 2 1/2 years ago. I was trying for 7:30 miles, I hit 7:20 miles.

Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the car and then to the transition area with Steve to get some clothes and Endurox. Then we headed back to the track to see Marcy and Shannon finish. Posed for the BT team photo (forthcoming from Marcy), checked the results, and headed out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Set a Sprint PR by a minute and a half. I could complain about forgetting to start my watch, having the wrong swim time down and getting behind some slower swimmers, forgetting to reset my bike computer, having shoe issues, and so on, but why?

Event comments:

The weather was not great, but my race was. Made some dumb early season mistakes, but overame them. That's about all that needs to be said. Great way to start the season with a new Sprint PR.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-01-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:17 | 328 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/27
Overall: 107/231
Performance: Average
Suit: Javelin Tri Top and Shorts
Course: 3 lap snake swim in 50m pool, each lane was one way. Left plenty of room for passing, just had to make sure you were on the inside of the lane at the turn.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:29 | 12 miles | 17.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/27
Overall: 127/231
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 2 loop 6 mile trapezoidal (nerd alert!) course. 1 decent hill, the rest were rollers.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:22:42 | 03.11 miles | 07m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/27
Overall: 24/231
Performance: Good
Course: Nice easy out and back with 2 laps around a duck pond. Finished the last 300 meters on the Southlake Carroll track.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-09 12:20 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: Iceman Sprint Triathlon

2006-04-09 6:22 AM
in reply to: #391661

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Subject: RE: Iceman Sprint Triathlon
Good job!  A very thorough race report, btw.
2006-04-09 7:14 PM

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
Way to go Andy! That was a smoking bike and run.
2006-04-09 9:36 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Way to go!

Yes, I am sure I am one of those runners you picked off! HA! EVERYONE... except for ONE PERSON passed me during my run. I only passed ONE PERSON! HA!

Happy to hear you enjoyed it and had a great time!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iceman Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed