General Discussion Triathlon Talk » stupid question alert!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-29 9:21 AM

Subject: stupid question alert!!!
Hi all,
I have started training for the Marine Corps MaArathon (started in Feb.) in the hopes of eventually doing a half-Ironman tri. Anywhoos, I am constantly trolling about in thrift stores and yard sales looking for fitness stuff. For example, I was missing a strap on my trunk bike rack amd yakima & thule don't make replacements, so i lucked out found a really cheesy bike rack at Goodwill for $5 and pulled the straps of it and Bingo, now my rack works (and I have extra straps.)
Anyway, my stupid question of the day....I bought a pair of Descente cycling shorts for $1 yesterday They are in great shape but I noticed something odd about them. The legs are partly made of mesh (I guess for ventilation.) I also noticed that a narrow stip of mesh in located on the back side (vertically placed) is black mesh. I am assuming thats for ventilation, as well. Ok, here is my stupid question...what, umm, am I supposed to wear under these shorts so I don't ride down the road flashing everyone? I know that we aren't supposed to wear skivvies under cycling shorts so what's a girl to do? Thanks for any input.

2004-05-29 10:26 AM
in reply to: #27967

Subject: RE: stupid question alert!!!
I'm not sure, but it sounds like these are "under" shorts. Some wear them with the shorts that don't have padding in them. My guess anyway.
2004-05-29 1:31 PM

Good guess!!!! It makes sense to me. Thanks!
2004-05-29 10:06 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
I have a few interesting thoughts on this topic, but I'll just agree w/ Nancy instead. :-)
2004-05-30 10:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest

That is so funny because that's how I get a LOT of my stuff and I was in a thrift store just today and bought three pair of biking shorts for a total of $3.99! My guess is that people start out gung ho on exercise or a sport and buy stuff, then don't like it or drop off, and then give really good stuff to thrift stores when they clean out their closets. So I try to find a lot of gently used, or even new stuff there before I venture to the store. (Also got some Nike sweats with tags on for $5, a pair of great hiking pants with the zip off legs, brand new, marked as a size 16 but fit this size 2/4 just fine).

Hey I say just wear them! I bet you'll find a variety of gentlemen willing to become "back of the packers" and let you ride on through! Could work to your advantage!

2004-06-02 1:07 PM

Wow, I'm not sure what that's for, but I'm excited to hear about the thrift store finds. I never thought of that! I'm heading there this weekend now! Thanks everyone.

2004-06-02 1:12 PM

Second hand stores and yard sales are the way to go for those of us who are cheap (or just on a budget.) I find stuff all of the time. In fact, I got a TREK 12 speed for $5 at the Salvation Army a few months ago. I put about $200 in to it (new wheels, derailer, cables, etc.) She rides like a dream!!!!! My mechanic said the bike probably about 20 years old but still a great bike - especially for $205 total. The bike weighs less than my 9 year old daughter's bike. I love it!
2004-06-02 11:52 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
now this is a thrift store thread!

I want a new bike, too!!!!
2004-06-03 11:32 AM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
I saw a guy wearing shorts like that and I'm now in a 12-step recovery program. Not to come off all Nancy Reagan, but just say no to crack.
2004-06-03 11:45 AM

User image

I saw "undershorts" made by UnderArmour at GI Joe's the other day. You could wear those under the ventilated shorts, maybe.
2004-06-03 12:07 PM

Walnut Creek, CA
So I've heard the guys don't wear underwear with bike shorts, but you ladies don't wear any either? Doesn't seem very hygenic to me so I've always worn underwear. What's the preference??

2004-06-03 12:12 PM
in reply to: #28892

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
No way, no underwear. It would defeat the purpose.
2004-06-04 8:06 AM

This conversation just keeps getting funnier and funnier! I'm cracking up over here. Anywho, I have always worried that without underwear, I'd sweat through my shorts, so I'm all for the underwear. Then again, I'm also the kid who learned how to change her shirt with another shirt on, so I could be a special case
2004-06-04 10:43 AM

Online or Offline
umbach and just-tri-it:

I was kind of shocked about the underwear and bike shorts thing too.....

Wow, I'd always been wearing panties with my bike shorts. Bare against the chamois of the shorts??? Seriously, I'd never occurred to me that you shouldn't be wearing underwear.

Someone above mentioned UnderArmour gear: for when I race, I plan on wearing a pair of UnderArmour compression shorts (no panties) underneath my wetsuit, then pulling my riding shorts over them in T1, then at T2, taking off the riding shorts and running in the UnderArmour compression shorts.

My butt can't take the little padding afforded by tri suits, so this should work for me.

Really..............no panties under the bike shorts??? Is it a comfort/chafing issue, or sweaty issue?
2004-06-04 10:47 AM

Online or Offline
oops forgot.......

Leila, congrats on getting picked in the lottery for the MCM! I finally got drawn in the lottery, and was so excited.

Yikes, you started training for it in Feb..........I really feel like a slacker now! But again, I just want to finish!
2004-06-04 10:49 AM

Thanks! I started training in Feb because I have been a total slug for the last couple of years. I also suffer from shin splints so easing in to long runs, with lots of stretching and recovery time is my plan of attack.

2004-06-04 10:52 AM
in reply to: #29107

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Bike shorts are designed to be worn against the skin. That's the point of the chamois - to put the softest, lowest friction surface against your skin. Does anyone want to back me up on this?
2004-06-04 10:59 AM

Online or Offline
Hmmmm..........jeez, I REALLY am a newbie!

It makes sense....I'd purchased a tube of Chamois Butt'r at my bike shop (last second impulse buy at the counter) for it's skin lubricant properties.

The label says "The Ultimate Skin Lubricant & Chamois Cream". And YES, I was like...."huh?"

Wow!!!! So I should be putting lotion on my bike shorts?!!

And on a second thought -- having picked up those shorts Leila, used, isn't that like buying used underwear? Or bathing suit? LOL

Well, in addition to the tri training, I'd love to hear about your MCM training as it progresses too!

2004-06-04 11:01 AM

Yeah, I see your point but the cheapskate in me says "nothing a couple of cycles in the the old Maytag won't cure!"
2004-06-04 11:05 AM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Subject: Go Commando
NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO UNDIES!!!!!!!!! It is not any less hygenic. Something has to touch your skin and if you shower regularly and wash your clothes, I can't for the life of my figure out why you would wear underwear with bike shorts. Kind of like wearing boxers under your swim suit.

Sounds like a whole lot of unnecessary chaifing and but pickin' to me, not to mention cluttering up the view from behind a well formed cyclist....

To each his own, but I highly recomend you go commando whenever possible! LOL.
2004-06-04 11:06 AM

Online or Offline
I hear ya leila! This is not a cheap sport............jeez, I'm still a one-bike girl and will still be racing on a mountain bike frame this season.

So as it turns out, your question wasn't stupid at all! Sure taught me a lot!!

2004-06-04 12:23 PM

New user
Iowa
No undies under the bike shorts - PLEASE! Would you wear undies more than once? I think (and hope) NOT! I wash my bike shorts every day - it's no big deal! They line dry too if you need to hand wash in a pinch.

Commando and proud of it!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » stupid question alert!!! Rss Feed