General Discussion Triathlon Talk » lower back pain while cycling Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-09 9:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Laurens County, SC
Subject: lower back pain while cycling

It seems that sometimes when I go long (for me more than two hours) or I "attempt" to stay aero, either in the drops or the clip on aerobars, I get a numbing sensation/pain in my lower back, just above my buttocks, mostly on the right side. I just got a new trek 1000, previously had an older trek 330 steel bike. I did have the bike fitted. I have done longer rides on the steel bike including a century (I did stop at every sag and got off the bike every 15-20 miles with no problems).

I have talked to a couple of roadie friends who said kindly "it is probably your belly pulling your back down and causing the pain, loose the belly" I am 6 foot 1 225 and loosing.

So...do I just need to ride more and loose weight and as I get used to the bike and the fit it will go away ? Or could it be a fitting problem..ie do I need to raise the handlebars/drops..or move the seat more forward ?

I am a newbie, have completed two sprints, one century and some shorter runs (5k,8k,1/2 marathon)....any help would be appreciatted....sorry if this is a stupid ?

2006-04-09 10:24 AM
in reply to: #391744

User image

Veteran
Laurens County, SC
Subject: RE: lower back pain while cycling
I also forgot to add this is my first 3 weeks or so in clipless pedals...looks with shimano spd cleats if this makes a difference...
2006-04-09 10:57 AM

User image

Elite

Have you tried different seat and stem heights?  Sometimes the position that looks "right" to the bike fitter doesn't suit the rider.  Also it may just mean that you haven't spent enough time stretching and strengthening your core and shoulders for aero riding position.  I am big on just experimenting with the position and the exercise routine to find something that works.

TW

2006-04-09 5:31 PM

Master
portland, or
Work on your hamstring flexibility.

Be sure you're bending at the hips (tilting the top of your pelvis forward) vs. bending at the waist. The latter will put a lot of stress on your low back, but is a common mistake.

You may need to adjust your position to bring the front end up. Less aerodynamic, but may be more comfortable. As you improve flexibility try lowering again. When lowering, make the adjustments in small increments.

scott
2006-04-09 7:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
I'm vote for bike fit!

At the start of each season I couldn't ride for more than 45mins without back pain. The more time I spent on the bike the better it got BUT I shouldn't have been getting the pain in the first place.

I had a bike fit re-done and now I have no back issues at all.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » lower back pain while cycling Rss Feed