General Discussion Race Reports! » 6th Annual Buzzard Duathlon/Biathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

6th Annual Buzzard Duathlon/Biathlon - Biathlon (run/bike)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hinckley, Ohio
United States
NCN Racing
30F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 29s
Overall Rank = 38/55
Age Group = F 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Didn't sleep well. Got up at 12:45am to pee and couldn't get back to sleep. Excitement perhaps? Finally fell asleep at 3:45am and alarm went off at 4:15am. Got up to feed and water chickens. Ate an egg & cheese on an English Muffin sandwich and two chocolate chip cookies at 5am. Left home just after 6am to pick up Sue.
Event warmup:

The plan was to eat an energy-type bar at 8am, but I wasn't hungry. Set up the transition area, stood in line for the portapotty and tried to stay warm. As Sue and I were standing at the back of the group waiting for the 9am start, I told her that I was hungry now.
Run
  • 27m 53s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really pleased with the run. Sue and I once again used our "start at the back of the pack" strategy. We never got passed by anyone and started picking off people on that first hill. Sue started to pull ahead of me between mile 1 and 2. She said she could hear me laughing though. I had been talking to a girl running next to me. This park is known for its buzzard (aka turkey vulture) roosting area. Just before mile 2, there were probably a dozen vultures circling high over head. The girl next to me commented that they were just waiting for one of us to fall. Anyways, it provided a good chuckle.

My clothing worked perfectly in the 30 degree air. I wore a sports bra, short sleeve t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt and my husband's old cycling jacket on top. Wore my new tri-shorts and heavy weight running tights on the bottom. Lightweight polypropylene gloves and a ball cap. Just perfect!
What would you do differently?:

Not a gosh darn thing. I am so amazed at my time on a hilly course.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Walked through the water station and drank a cup of water. Crammed a fig bar in my mouth and drank some gatorade. Slipped off my polypropylene gloves and put on my fingerless bike gloves. I have toe clips on my bike so I just wore my running shoes. Helmet on, check!

Duh! I should have just wore my cycling gloves over my polypropylene gloves during the run. My hands were really warm at the end of the run, but removing the fingered gloves turned out to be a mistake. By lap 4 of the bike, my fingers were getting really cold.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 37s
  • 15 miles
  • 14.61 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought this was a very nice rolling course. The toughest part was between miles 1 and 2. There were three short hills that I could only manage 7-8 mph. However, there was a nice downhill that I had a max speed of 33.9 mph. I have a heavy touring bike and was kind of surprised by the number of people I passed. I started to feel just a little tired on the 4th lap. The hills on the 5th lap were tough, but when I reached 1 mile left to go I felt a surge of energy.

By lap 4, I started getting this big silly grin on my face. I was so happy to be out there participating in this event. Total happiness!

I really need to work on drinking more. The course made it tough though because there were no real flat spots to take a drink. I tried a couple times after cresting a hill, but it was hard because I was breathing heavier. I got better and better at it by the 5th lap, but I need to work on this.

Oh, and wear full gloves. My fingers were dang cold by lap 4.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank gatorade, ate fig bars, cheered Sue at her finish, walked around some more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heavy bike, not being an athlete, just being a beginner.

Event comments:

The race only provided a finishing time so all the run, transition, and bike times are off my watch.

This was a REALLY fun race. It was cold, but quite tolerable. Very pretty course through a nice park.

I was very happy with my effort. 38th out of 55 overall. 6th out of 16 female racers. Oh and first place in my age group!!!!! Ok, out of 1. Still, I got a nice little trophy.

It was fun to see all the fancy expensive bikes. The first bikers passed me before I even finished my run. I started passing the duathlon runners at lap 4 on the bike.

Last updated: 2006-04-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:53 | 03 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/1
Overall: 0/55
Performance: Good
Course: 3 mile run around Hinckley Lake in Hinckley Metropark on roads and multipurpose trail. Rolling course. Started uphill right at the beginning. A few decent hills between miles 1 and 2. A nice downhill run to the transition area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:59
Overall: Average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:01:37 | 15 miles | 14.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/1
Overall: 0/55
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: 5 laps around Hinckley Lake following the same course as the run except stayed 100% on the road (instead of moving to the multipurpose trail).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-09 5:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: 6th Annual Buzzard Duathlon/Biathlon

2006-04-09 7:55 PM
in reply to: #391946

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: 6th Annual Buzzard Duathlon/Biathlon
Great job at the biathlon. Your first multisport, and you take home the trophy. Sounds like you had a good time.
2006-04-10 9:45 AM

Champion

Woo hoo Diane, 1st place!  Hey, take it while you can get it, the trophy looks neat and now you can brag to everyone about it.  Congrats on having a fun race, it's amazing what you can do with 1/2 hour sleep and lots of adrenaline!

2006-04-10 2:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Thanks guys!!!!!  I am still grinning from ear to ear.  I am ready to do it again!!!!

Hey Tim, where's your race report from your first Du???????

Diane

2006-04-11 6:25 PM

User image

Rochester, NY
Congrats on completing your first multi-sport event! I know it feels good. Many more to come.
2006-04-13 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Nebraska
Way to go! Nice time on the run, too.

Kevin

2006-04-16 7:46 AM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio

Wow, Great race Diane!  I think you had some darned good times, and you got hardware! Your report was so much fun to read this morning, sounds like you had a great time!

Tammy

BTW, you're not supposed to tell how many were in your age group. We only care that you won!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 6th Annual Buzzard Duathlon/Biathlon Rss Feed