General Discussion Race Reports! » Cactus Challenge Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cactus Challenge Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
3D Racing
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 28m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/38
Pre-race routine:

Woke up before the alarm went off. Imagine that. Grabbed some pop tarts. Downed some water and some e-caps. Finished packing. Moved the bike rack from wife's car to mine. Left at quarter to 7:00. Race starts at 9:00. Grabbed a coffee at Starbucks.

Got to the site and the parking was out on the road outside of the park. Good thing I got there early. Parked about a half mile away. Took Bag and pump. Set up my transition area and went to the port o john. Walking back I got marked. Those must have been some industrial strength markers, because I got high as I was walking away. Saw those stars you see when you stand up to fast. Started to worry about lack of sleep this week and being dehydrated. Why else would I get that high off of a marker?
Event warmup:

Ran back to car to drop off pump and back to transition area. Maybe a mile. Stuck my foot in the water. It felt wet. That's good.
Swim
  • 19m 31s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

Saw a guy about 2 bikes down from me who was decked out in USA swimming gear. Saw him near the start and thought it would be a good idea to try to stay close to him. Lined up behind him. Tried to draft off of him but only lasted about 250M before I lost sight of everyone. Would see someone here or there but could not latch on to anyone. Really didn't want to swim a fast swim leg but was not adverse to leaching off of someone if the opportunity arose. It did not. I suck at sighting and everytime I did today it seemed that there was a large group ahead of me. I was expecting to finish near the top in my wave so was confused. Was just expecting to swim 1:30 pace and hop out at 22:30 or so. With my confusion and thinking that there was a large group ahead of me, I tought my previous week of travel and no sleep was catching up to me and it was going to be a long day.

Swim in to the boat ramp area and hop out of the water. 19:24. That can't be right. As I start to run towards transition, there is nobody else around at all. Weird. Did I pass elites? I don't think so. I am going to blame the marker on my confusion.

I obviously think the swim was short. I can't go 1:20 at that effort.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster. I probably could have swam 2:00 faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

Haven't worked on transitions at all but have been thinking about them a lot. Decided to go no socks and no gloves today. Figure it saved close to a minute. Put on HRM, glasses, shirt, helmet. Grab 2 e-gels. Go!

Beat the one guy out who ran past me from the swim into transition. I'll take all the little victories I can get.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 2s
  • 26 miles
  • 19.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Took the first lap easy. Ate a gel at the end. Not very many people out on the course. I passed about 2 and was passed by about 4. Laps 2-4 hard to tell who was on which lap. My previous tris have left me getting only passed and not passing anyone. I felt a great sense of pride when passing people on nice bikes today as I rode my shit beater.

Negative split the bike course and held 20+ for the final 2 laps. Need more bike work to have respectable overall times. Was expecting a faster split. All and all I think that I only dropped about 10 spots on the bike.

TITS
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Helmet off. Shoes on. Opted against buying Yankz when picking packet up. Probably spent 20 seconds tying shoes. Will get them for next time.

Have Yankz
Run
  • 44m 42s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Had dead legs after bike. Took off and was passing sprint competitors at will. Most of them were run walking at this point. It was pretty hot. After a couple turns there is a long out and back with no shade. Out is up hill back would be down. Did not recognize any of the olympic wave I took off with as I was going out. I have no idea how fast I am running. Last year I believe there was a mile marker right at the end of the out and back. My lap split said 5:32. I don't think so. Hopefully there will be a mile marker on the course. Am passing loads of people but think I am going slower than 8:00 mile pace. I need to run 8's to hit my goal of 2:35 for the day. 2 sprints pass me and an olympic who looks to be on his second lap. Mile marker 2 finally. 13:49. Well wasn't expecting that. All of a sudden my goal is no longer my goal and my secret 2:30 goal is now very doable. Just don't blow up going up the hill. Don't blow up. Don't blow up. Kept HR in check going up the hill. Another OLY passes me at the end of the hill and his coach is there to say half a mile left. I wish I only had half a mile left. Pass 2 OLY's on my lap right at the end of loop 1. Took final gel.

Loop 2 I turned it on. Raised my HR about 5 beats from previous loop. It is getting crowded now. I feel like I am flying because I am just picking people off left and right. Big change from last year when this was my first tri, and I was walking most of it. It was just before the out and back when I realized that skipping the socks had consequences. Something is growing in my shoe and about to pop. Keep running and cry about your boo boo later! I say I dropped the hammer but secretly I was very scared I was going to blow up on that hill. I finished the final hill and had plenty left. Passed about 10 more sprints in the last half mile to the finish.

Run harder and not worry so much about blowing up. If I do I do.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched for about 2 minutes. Bending down to pick my towell up in transition hurt like a mother. I must have raced it right.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fear of blowing up. I was scared on the bike that I might hammer too hard to have a legs for the run. I was scared in the run I would bonk and crawl up the final hill.

Event comments:

The race is what it is. It was delayed last year. It was delayed this year. I could gripe but the truth is once the race starts it is a very good course.

Last updated: 2006-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:31 | 1500 meters | 01m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: Skinny triangle. Out 3 buoys for 500M, over about 4 for 750M, and back in for 250M.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:38
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:20:02 | 26 miles | 19.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 24/38
Performance:
Avg-171, Max-181
Wind: Little
Course: 4 loops. Rolling hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:42 | 06.21 miles | 07m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/38
Avg-177, Max-188. First 5k-22:06, Second 5k-22:36
Course: 2 loop cross country run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-09 10:10 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2006-04-10 9:59 AM
in reply to: #392130

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: Cactus Challenge Triathlon - Olympic

Congrats on beating your secret goal!  Actually I think it's good to worry a little about blowing up but just know when to not worry.  That's a hard run course to plan out cause the hill is so close to the end. 

How was the bike course this year?  It didn't look as hilly as last years course but because of all the loops I'm sure it was more crowded. 

2006-04-10 10:20 AM

2006-04-10 1:20 PM

Crystal Lake, IL

Great job and thanks for the great race report.  Good reading!

I just bought yankz this weekend and I really like them. 

2006-04-10 2:54 PM

Elite

Great times on all legs.  There is some serious triathlon competition in Texas if that is just good for 10th place in your age group.  I know you have to be putting in a maximum effort the whole way.  I know how that feels.  Great effort.

TW

2006-04-10 3:29 PM
in reply to: #392794

Edited by surfwallace 2006-04-10 3:31 PM

2006-04-10 7:02 PM

Elite
Texas
I think I swam enough extra yardage to cover for anyone who may have cut it short. Nice race! Sorry we didn't meet up!
2006-04-11 10:24 AM

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
A very solid race...nice job!
2006-04-11 4:07 PM

Smokin fast times!!!!

Very Very nice race and report!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cactus Challenge Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed