United States
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Friday evening they had a great pasta dinner. Saturday up @ 4am bagel, 1/2 banana & about 15 oz of gatorade. Showered & jumped shuttle to course start @ 6am. Had about 10 more ozs of powerade @ the Parish center meeting place
Event warmup:

Race start was 7am & it was 38-40 degrees, 5-8 mpg breeze. Had already decided that my warmup would be the 1st few miles of the run, since it was our first & whatever our time was would be a PR. Dressed in thin leg warmups, cotton long sleeve shirt, 2 lyrca layers underneath, ear warmer & gloves.
Run
  • 5h 42m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Great 1st Marathon course with a small town atmosphere & great people. Started out faster than I wanted, but felt great. The topper of this day is that both my daughter & I finished & I'm very proud of her.

Aid stations @ approx every mile with a few carrying PowerBar gel.
What would you do differently?:

Get my daughter's stomach not to hurt @ mile 10 & have to walk, run the final 13 miles.

But then again, it did give us lot's of time to talk. I can run a marathon another time, but my daughter will be graduating high school & moving on to college, so the time was very much appreciated, & instead of having a daughter hang her head cause she didn't finish, I have a daughter who called all her friends as soon as WE finished to give them the news. I think we set a "PR" of a different kind with this marathon.
Post race
Warm down:

Because of the way we did the run, didn't need much warm down. Race brunch was pancakes & sausage, & various kinds of fruit.

Event comments:

A great small town marathon with "small town" friendliness. We have preliminary plans of returning again next year.

Last updated: 2005-12-10 12:00 AM
Running
05:42:00 | 26.2 miles | 13m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Half Marathon time was 2:11, faster than I'd planned, but was feeling great. HR Avg was 164 at this point.
Course: Listed as flat, but many people didn't think so. Overall elevation was almost zero, but it was an out & back course. We considered the course "mildly rolling", & very enjoyable; although if it wouldn't have been for the volunteers, sections would have been boring.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes