General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - St. George Island State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - St. George Island State Park - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. George Island, Florida
United States
Blue Sky Sports
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 107/132
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

I ate one of those Snicker's marathon bars for breakfast and a diet coke. I was really excited about the race so I didn't sleep well.
Event warmup:

I didn't really warm up too much. I know you are supposed to, but I didn't have that much time.
Run
  • 09m 23s
  • 1 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew it was going to be as soon as I found out we were running on the beach. Like I said, I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Once you got off the race course toward the transition, you were running in really soft sand, uphill over this berm. It was terrible.
What would you do differently?:

Train better?
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

I was so blown out physically from the run, I just had to walk to my bike. I was breathing so hard, I couldn't get a sip of water in.

I guess pace myself a little better on the run. That way I would have more energy for the transition? I don't know, it was just bad.
Bike
  • 55m 54s
  • 15.9 miles
  • 17.07 mile/hr
Comments:

The drinking thing was a little tough. I have one of those waterbottles that goes between the aero bars. The straw is huge and everytime I sucked some water through it, it would go into my sinuses...or something.
Transition 2
  • 49m 17s
Comments:

I opted to run with the bike shoes on. My transition area was pretty close so I just unhooked.

Nothing
Run
  • 49m 17s
  • 4 miles
  • 12m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the WORST. I felt like I was running so slow that I was going backwards. I did walk some of the way, I have a hard time drinking water and running at the same time, so I had to walk to do that. I ended up skipping the last water station because of that. I had to stop at mile 2 to get something out of my shoe. Really it was not a great effort on the sand.

I was very disappointed with the run. At the time of the race, I just wanted to finish and was at a point where I didn't care what place I finished. What I would do differently would be to prepare better. I haven't been running as much this past month...and really wasn't running a whole lot before...so I guess I would just train more, lose some weight, and not be so weak mentally.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a whole bottle of water, and dumped 2 lbs of sand out of my shoes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A beach full of sand.

Event comments:

The race started later because of the change and weather. I guess I am happy since I did receive a medal for 1st in the Athena division..even though there were only a few competitors...I finished like a minute or less in front of the 2nd place Athena. So I am happy that I at least accomplished that. It would be nice to know who your competitors are. I was picking out other women who I thought might weigh more than me and trying to beat them.

Last updated: 2006-04-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:09:23 | 01 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/132
Performance: Below average
I thought I was going to die. My heart rate probably was in the 200's easily. I didn't wear a heartrate monitor, so I don't really know.
Course: The course was soft sand. If you wanted to run in the harder sand, you had to run at about a 35 degree angle and dodge the waves. It was the pitts.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:12
Overall: Bad
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:55:54 | 15.9 miles | 17.07 mile/hr
Performance:
My bike computer wasn't working for some reason so I had no idea how fast I was going. This gave me a certain disadvantage I guess...but I probably wouldn't have changed much even if it had been working.
Wind: Headwind
Course: This was a loop that you had to complete 3 times. On the way out, you had a killer headwind and on the back, a sweet tailwind. So I just tried to maintain my position going out and gain position on the way back. This worked pretty well for me.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 49:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:17 | 04 miles | 12m 19s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Soft sand again. Headwind for the first two miles and tailwind for the last two. The run to the finish line was extremely soft sand.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-04-10 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks - St. George Island State Park

2006-04-10 1:31 PM
in reply to: #392592

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - St. George Island State Park
You're number 1! You were awesome, your first tri victory is something to be proud of, or I guess your first du victory in this case. And you will get better.

The race directory tells me that they will start marking the A's and C's per my suggestion. Now that you are number 1, the competition will be gunning for you.
2006-04-10 1:36 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
You had a great first run and bike time!  It sounds like the run was pretty tough- way to get through it.  I've done 1 duathlon in my life and swore I would never do one again.  The last run is always a KILLER!!  Congrats for a good race!
2006-04-11 7:32 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Any race you finish with hardware is a great race.

Congrats on getting your tri of the season under your belt.  You'll be able to take what you learned from here + apply to the other races coming up.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - St. George Island State Park Rss Feed