UCLA
60+F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 40m 40s
Overall Rank = 153/210
Age Group = M20-29
Age Group Rank = 39/50
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30. Everything was pre-packed so I just had to put on my race clothes and warm-ups and I was ready to go. Picked up my PB&J on the way out at 5am. Got to Westwood a few minutes after 5:30 and found parking quick and easily. There were a few dozen already int he mix of things.

Ate half my sandwich, gatorade-ed, re-assembled my bike, and was setting up in Transition in no time. Made my way to packet pick-up. Got race numbers, goodie bag (which was quite good for a college sponsored race), neoprene anklet/timing chip, and finally the body marking :) I should of asked them to take a picture. For the record, this was my first triathlon. I plan on purposely washing around it so it can last as long as possible :) After I made my way to Transition. Anal-ly re-arrange things. Then re-arranged them again. Finally with 30 to go made one last pit stop then off to hang around the start line. Met with some TNT people!! I met Josie from the tri-TNT in the Fernando Valley though she was racing w/o her team (like me).
Event warmup:

I had a light warm up job from the Transition area to the start line ~250m. Did some light stretching, but I was still loose from yesterday's race.
Swim
  • 11m 31s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

This being reverse triathlon, it was at the end of the day. I was really worried because the most I coudl do in my practice swims was 100m straight. I guess it was good ol' race day magic because I did the 8 laps straight and felt a lot better than ever imagined. One thing that freaked me out was one half of the pool was relly deep, 16+ feet deep, and it just overall got me worried.
What would you do differently?:

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Wayy too unprepared. Stroke was crap. Breathing was crap. But it was still a good swim because I did better than I expected.
Transition 1
  • 08m 2s
Comments:

This was my time coming off the bike, into transition, out, and up the half mile hill to the pool. It probably took about a minute or so to get out of transition. I took my time. Drank water, put running shoes/back on for the trek up the hill.

SHOULD HAVE run up the hill. I walked it, trying to conserve energy. What a fool. I lost sooo much time to everyone on this. Sure it's my frist and I was being smart, but I'm not known to hold back, or at least I shouldn't when i'm "racing".
Bike
  • 46m 27s
  • 10 miles
  • 12.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Need more ride time. This is looking to be my weakest aspect so far.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! *sigh*
Transition 2
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

This was actually coming from run to bike leg. Took my time once again. Untied shoes, put on bike shoes, drank water, put on helmet, took off run shorts (which were over my tri shorts) then finally made my way out.

Bring squeeze bottle to drink on the bike leg. All I had was a screw cap so I wasted time unscrewing and drinking while standing still. Practice putting on shoes that are pre-cliped to pedals.
Run
  • 32m 6s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

By far the strongest event for me. Felt good doing 8:00+ min miles and never felt really tired. I kicked arse on the hills (thank you hard knock hill training tuesdays). I passed at least a dozen on the hills alone.

Just run in the tri shorts next time.
Post race
Warm down:

Included trying to wipe the smile off my face after completing my first triathlon! Ha ha ha! Had great post run food. Again a surpise for a college sponsored race. Turns out I LOVE bread + cream cheese post race. Also, the guacamole + salty chips were good too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough practice. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

Event comments:

It's already set. IRONBruin 3 - Ryan's Revenge !!! Spring 2007.

Last updated: 2006-04-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:31 | 400 meters | 02m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 36/50
Overall: 157/210
Performance: Good
Suit: Sugoi Tri-Shorts
Course: Pool swim. 50 m. You start at one end and snake across the 8 lanes to equal 400m.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:02
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:27 | 10 miles | 12.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 42/50
Overall: 172/210
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: HILLY! UP AND DOWN FOR 10 MILES! This was really my weakest point. I did not nearly bike enough for this leg. The hills killed. I didn't know if I should have gotten out of the cycle or not. Total mess.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:06 | 04 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 39/50
Overall: 118/210
Performance: Good
Course: HILLY! 1 loop around the UCLA campus.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-10 1:10 PM

Monterey Park, CA
Subject: IronBruin Triathlon

2006-04-10 11:12 PM
in reply to: #392656

User image

Extreme Veteran
Los Angeles
Subject: RE: IronBruin Triathlon
Congrats on the race. It was a fun triathlon! I'm with ya next year... Ryan's Revenge is also Glenn's Revenge!!!

2006-04-11 12:20 AM
in reply to: #392656

New user
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: IronBruin Triathlon
Congrats on completing your first tri on a challenging sprint course! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the race -- the campus's rolling hills make the 4 mile run and 10 mile bike a lot harder than they look on paper, and the hill run out of T2 up to the pool can be a killer.

I am with the UCLA Tri Team and was helping run the bike course (I saw you go by in your TNT top, looking strong). I'd love to hear any additional feedback (specific criticisms about the course, markings, signage, volunteers, suggestions for next year, etc.) that you might have, whether about the bike course or any other part of the race. Feel free to PM me and I'll be sure to pass your feedback on to the race director.

Congrats again on a great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » IronBruin Triathlon Rss Feed