General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Iceman Cometh .....didnt end so well Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-07 3:13 PM

Regular
Subject: Iceman Cometh .....didnt end so well

So i did my 2nd Iceman on the weekend - last year was my first. Last years time 3:00 from wave 27, this years time 2:23 from wave 36 - i was happy with this years result as i was 3rd fastest in my wave and 1642/3744 overall.

The part of the day that wasnt so good was at mile 28 of 30 (up until that point i had been feeling really good all day, must have passed well over 1000 people and only two other guys in my wave ended up in front of me by the end), all of a sudden i started feeling a little light headed and then when i was hammering up one of the last hills of the day i "hit the wall". I instantly had to get off the trail and threw up the entire contents of my stomach - not cool!

What i am not sure about is exactly why it happened??? This was also my first year doing Tri's and i did 3 events, the last of which was an oly. I felt like i raced my hardest in all of the events and i never felt sick during any of them. My Oly time was 2:40 so 17 mins longer on the course than the Iceman on saturday, and during the oly i had 1 sports drink an hour before hand, 1 gel 15 mins before the start, drank 1 X 24oz bottle of GU brew on the bike, 1 gel and a mouth full of plain water 15 mins before the run and that was about it. I followed a very similar plan at Iceman and like i said felt great until 2 miles from the end when my body decided to reject everything in my stomach!! I guess i'm not sure why i can push myself through a Tri with no problems, but end up with trouble in a bike race of a similar length of time using the same nutrition plan.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the issue might be:

- Simply dehydration?

-Too many calories in the stomach that my body couldnt absorb?

-Combination of too many calories, not enough plain water?

Sorry about the long winded post, i'm sure i made some rooky mistakes with race nutrition, however i really want to get this sorted out so i can make sure it doesnt happen again.

2011-11-07 3:24 PM
in reply to: #3880335

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
Subject: RE: Iceman Cometh .....didnt end so well

I've had lots of experience with dehydration, so I can tell you that it'll definitely mess you up. Low electrolytes will contribute as well. I've used Gu Brew before on short/medium runs, but for races that are long or where I sweat a lot, it doesn't seem to do the trick for me.  Some people will use salt tabs...I've done it a few times, but only on really long races.

The other thing too with racing in colder conditions is that its really easy to get dehydrated - you don't quite realize how much you're sweating.

Another thing that's a possibility is if you changed anything about your nutrition plan or didn't practice a nutrition plan.  Its really important to race the way you train.

By the way, good job powering through what obviously was not a very pleasant experience.

2011-11-07 4:01 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
First, great race and huge improvement over last year! Congrats!

A few additional questions:

What did you eat/drink before the race and how soon did you eat before the start? Maybe it's something to avoid because it doesn't digest well, or take it sooner.

Did you drink fluids when you took your gels? I take GU gels and they digest much better if I always take a sip of water with them.

Do you do all your hard training session with GU Brew?
2011-11-08 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3884880

Regular

Thank you for the replies!

-Pre race meal @ 7am : 1 plain bagel, 1 banana, 1 yoghurt, 1 small coffee, 1 20oz bottle of water. The only pre race meal change was the coffee.

-During the hour before the race: 1 20oz bottle gatorade, 1 GU gel 15 mins before the start with a couple of mouth fulls of water.

-Wave start was at 10.45am

-Admittedly of late i have been doing most of my hard bike sessions on the trainer, and during those sessions i almost always use only water. During tri season i was doing 2 hard 1hr interval sessions outdoors - most of them were in the morning so i would have a gel when i woke up and bottle of GU brew on the bike.

-Both of you made a good point that i probably havent sufficiently trained with the same nutrition as what i raced with.

2011-11-09 8:53 PM

User image

Regular
Owosso Michigan

Congrats on a new PR for Iceman!  I raced it as well last weekend.  What an awesome day it was indeed!

One huge difference between mtb racing and tri's is the more frequent and sometimes extended redlining.  In tri's we often stay at threshold for extended periods without quite going redline.  In mtb you tend to redline for sometimes more extended periods before you get a stretch of course you can actively recover.  Our bodies will deal with this unique stressor sometimes in quite a different way than extended periods at threshold. 

What was your mtb training like prior to the race?  Did you do a lot of interval & negative split training to adapt your body to living in a deficit state for extended periods?  Much like triathlon learning to live on the edge of anaerobic, learning to live well into anaerobic and recover is a learned trait.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Iceman Cometh .....didnt end so well Rss Feed