UCLA
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 49m 38s
Overall Rank = 128/
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 16/20
Pre-race routine:

Woke up. Shower to wake up. Coffee to wake up for sure. Apple Jack Cereal, banana and gatorade for breakfast.
Event warmup:

Stretched, did a 100 meter jog had a gel and some gatorade.
Swim
  • 16m 22s
  • 400 meters
  • 04m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

It felt extremely long - especially after a run/bike/run... but I did it.
What would you do differently?:

Practice as usual.
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

T1 was actually Run to Bike.

Speed up.
Bike
  • 42m 51s
  • 10 miles
  • 14.00 mile/hr
Comments:

That was a fun but challenging bike portion. The first time down Bruin Hill I was flying. The second and third time I had to slow down because we weren't allowed to pass. I nearly crashed as I made it down from the North Campus the first time. The girl didn't hold up the TURN RIGHT sign soon enough and I was going to go right by her. Thank goodness my breaks worked because I slammed hard on them - then nearly toppled over because I was snapped in. The guy behind me almost crashed too as he was following me down. That would have been a disaster!

Other than that, I didn't push it. I could have done this course way faster. At least ten minutes faster really. I could have pushed the hill climb because I felt good, but really wanted to take it easy. I also could have pushed the downhill as well but was holding back a little due to unexpected potholes, speedbumps and crap like that.

Although my time didn't reflect it, I think the bike portion felt like a breeze and my RPE was like 4/10 or 5/10 throughout.

Go for it!
Transition 2
  • 03m 50s
Comments:

This was actually bike to run/swim transition. Yeah, it doesn't make sense. But it was a RUN/BIKE/RUN/SWIM event and the official times reflect this...

During this transition I did some stretching. I felt a cramp coming along and stretched out my calves, struggled with my running shoes, then made my way up the hill... my hurting ankle really didn't help - especially after the bike. It was stiff. I limped most of the start and it loosened up and I was able to run/walk it.

Go faster? Run up the hill instead of walk most of it.
Run
  • 37m 15s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I did the first mile way too fast and it was all up hill. The first mile and a quarter (or so) was all up hill. And the 1 mile mark was around sevin-ish minutes.

At the three mile sign I checked my time and I was at 25 minutes flat. Wow. Most of that was downhill which was great. Again, it was a tease because the 4th mile started with a stair climb. I couldn't believe it. I ran the 4th mile in 12 minutes.

Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Eat a banana and get a free massage!

Event comments:

Fun fun fun! I really enjoyed it and look forward to pushing it with everything I got next year! I can't wait!!!

It is not a race for pure beginners that's for sure. The bike portion is tough and the bike to swim transition is really tough as well.

I was able to use my lap chrono with accuracy as I hit the lap button everytime the transition thing beeped. Here are my actual times which coincide with official race results:

0:37:15 RUN
0:02:27 T1
0:42:51 BIKE
0:03:50 T2
0:06:54 RUN
0:16:22 SWIM

1:49:38 FINAL TIME

Last updated: 2006-04-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:22 | 400 meters | 04m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 18/20
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
This was actually the last of the three as it was a backwards tri. The transition from the bike to the swim portion was actually two-fold. The transition area took me 3:50 as I did a little stretch as my calves were tight after the bike. Then I had to fumble to get my running shoes back on to get to the pool. The transition from the transition to the pool was around 1/2 mile... a little shorter but man it felt longer because it was all up hill. It took 6:54 to get up on a run/walk type of climb. It was pretty bad but I made it. I didn't want to over do it because I didn't want to cramp as I felt it coming.
Suit: Tri
Course: The swim looked way longer than the pool I normally train in. I couldn't believe one length was only 50 meters long. It really seemed longer. And then I kinda freaked when I got to the deep end. It just all of a sudden went deep and I wasn't use to that at all. I took a ton of breaks - about 15 second breaks at each wall. But it wasn't really a struggle like my first triathlon. It was more fatigue, breathing, etc. I was really tired. But I wasn't panicked at all. It felt great!
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 1000F / 538C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:51 | 10 miles | 14.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/20
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Hilly, narrow, challenging!
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:50
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:15 | 04 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/20
Performance: Good
Course: Tough terrain. I hurt my right ankle on the trail. At the 3 mile mark I was at 25 minutes flat. I was flying! But that was just a tease as right after that it was a damn stair climb. That took a lot out of me. I did the last mile in 12 minutes. UGH.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-10 11:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Los Angeles
Subject: IronBruin Triathlon

2006-04-11 12:15 AM
in reply to: #393172

New user
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: IronBruin Triathlon
Congrats on a great race on a challenging sprint course! The campus's rolling hills make the 4 mile run and 10 mile bike a lot harder than they look on paper, and the hill run out of T2 up to the pool can be a killer. Sorry to hear about your ankle...I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the race.

I am with the UCLA Tri Team and was helping run the bike course. I'd love to hear any additional feedback (specific criticisms about the course, markings, signage, volunteers, suggestions for next year, etc.) that you might have, whether about the bike course or any other part of the race. Feel free to PM me and I'll be sure to pass your feedback on to the race director.

By the way...that red Felt S32 looks blazing fast!

Edited by MCH13 2006-04-11 12:39 AM
2006-04-11 1:48 PM
in reply to: #393172

User image

Extreme Veteran
Los Angeles
"Pee causes Bladder Havoc for Triathlete in the UCLA IRON BRUIN TRIATHLON"

I didn't come in last! WHoo Hoo!

Seriously though, this was a very tough triathlon. Tough but not hard. The only torture was something unexpected...

April 9th, 2006 - "The UCLA IRON BRUIN TRIATHLON"
4 mile Run/10 Mile Bike/400 Meter Swim

First... the run...

Four miles.

Did you ever have to pee right after you started a road trip or something? Well... I did. And that road trip was a Triathlon. This would be the enexpected torture that I went through depsite a 4 mile Run/10 Mile Bike/400 Meter Swim... whew.

I peed five minutes before the official start time of 7 AM. The line was long. I waited twenty minutes to get into the porta-potty. And there was a line waiting after me. I ran to the start line which was maybe 150 yards away and waited... and waited... and waited... They delayed the start for twenty minutes and within that time I had to go pee again. But of course, I couldn't. I figured I'd sweat it out. I think it was delayed due to registration back up and probably... bathroom backup.

I needed to pee... bad... and if worse came to worse...

Well... a guy's got to do what a guy's got to do. And that meant peeing during the run. No, not finding a bathroom during the run, I meant peeing during the run - literally.

The race finally started with a little cheer from the first wave of racers (#1-#199). It started as one lap around the UCLA track and then out past the Bruin Bear. I kept up with the pack for the most part and then it became a challenge. An uphill run for about a mile. I was at the seven-ish minute mark at mile 1 which meant I was actually going way too fast, especially up the hill. But if you go up a hill you must come down right? So down we came on Sunset Blvd.

And no... I didn't pee... yet.

I figured when I do pee I'd disguise it by pouring water over myself. You know, just in case I was being followed and someone saw something running down my leg.

Anyway... the downhill...

The bad part was the terrain. It was a trail run and the recent rain made the ground uneven. I twisted my ankle on one area but the pain was manageable and I kept my pace.

And would you believe as I made my way up the hilly terain I see Donna, Jake and Lori come down from the parking lot as they got there late! I waved my arms in the air and they saw me. It was awesome to see them since they didn't make the start of the race. And what a coincidence!

Back to the pee... er... run...

We went up and down the little hills and at the three mile mark I was at 25 minutes flat. That was very encouraging! That was an 8:20 minute mile pace! Considering a challenging uphill, I was totally paced faster then I expected. My goal was a 40 minute run!

But that 25 minute 3 mile run was also a tease because the last mile started off as what everyone I know would grown at and take an elevator instead. It was an uphill run up these uneven stairs. HELLO! Nobody told me about stairs! I was breezing until then. And the stairs took its toll. Which reminds me... DO MORE STAIRS!

I did the last mile in 12 minutes and as I eyed the transition area on the right I also considered a quick stop at the porta-potty on the left.

But no... I figured if I were to do it, the best place would be on my bike where nobody would even notice.

I hit the lap button on my chorno every time I passed the timing chip station so that I could log my times in Transition as well as actual run/bike/swim times.

4 mile run time - 0:37:15

In T1 I took a quick gulp of Gatorade, slipped on my shoes and snapped on my helmet and walked my bike out of T1.

T1 Time - 0:2:27

And on to the bike.

Would you believe this also started up a hill!!!

I got going slowly, easing my gears down to gear two and pedaled my way up the hill. Donna, Jake and Lori were sitting on a brick wall as I made my way up. I had seen them again about 3 1/2 miles into my run so this was my third time to see them. I smiled as I struggled my way to the top of Bruin Walk.

And that's when I was able to speed happily down the narrow walkway. It was fun! I rode past the Bruin Bear and took the same path as the run... yes... up the hill.

Did I pee? Not yet. I decided if I were to go pee it wouldn't be on the bike. That would just be gross wouldn't it? But the pool! That would be the prime location right?

So all my focus was on the bike. And although it was a challenge going up the hills I didn't push it which kept my fatigue and muscles in check.

I almost crashed missing a girl's sign to turn right and skidded my way past the turn. I almost toppled over since I was snapped in but balanced my way back up to the turn without hazard.

I never got onto my big gear all race!!!

I was off the saddle as I made my way past Donna, Jake and Lori the second time and I felt really good on the 2nd lap. I could have really nailed the bike course but was holding back. I had to watch pot-holes, uneven paths, and speed bumps. I kick myself now for not 'going for it' but realized that in the end it helped me finish this triathlon without serious problems - like my first when I cramped so bad I couldn't move!

The third time past Donna, Jake and Lori I was pedaling easily up the hill. The 2nd and 3rd time down Bruin Walk I couldn't bomb the hill because passing was not allowed - and I was behind some slower bikes.

Finally T2! Thoughts of finishing the race came through my head. It was very exciting for me. And I still had to pee!

10 mile bike time: 0:42:51

I could best that by 10 minutes easy I believe!

My legs were extremely stiff as I walked my bike into T2. And in T2 I stretched them out, took a gulp of Gatorade, struggled with getting my running shoes back on and walked out of T2.

T2 Time - 0:3:50

You're probably wondering why I struggled to get my running shoes back on. Well, for some reason the Transition area was more than a hop, skip and a jump away from the pool. It was a half mile UPHILL trek! Talk about a BRICK (a term used when training with a Bike ride followed by a Run - BikeRun=ICK... BRICK) After a Run and Bike, my legs felt like Bricks! I felt my calves begin to cramp up so I stretched them out as I run/walked up the hill. Whew.

1/2 mile run Time up the damn hill - 0:6:54. Not bad considering.

Then to the pool for a quarter mile swim.

And let me tell you...

I HAVE NEVER SEEN A LONGER POOL EVER IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!

I stood at the edge going - that's not 25 meters long. In my head it was supposed to be a 25 meter swim one length of the pool. I was all confused since it was an 8 lane "S" swim. I don't know why but I thought I had to do 8 complete laps of 50 meters a lap like I do at the gym.

Yes, there were 8 lanes and that's where I got confused. It was actually 4 complete laps at 100 meters as this was a 50 meter pool. That's 8 times up and down the length of the pool. I jumped in and swam comfortably along.

When was I going to pee?

Anyway, 30 meters in or so the pool went from shallow to DEEEEEP!!! And I freaked out. And I'm not the only one. I read someone else's post on the race and he kinda freaked out as well. All these months I've been swimming in a five foot deep pool. Suddenly I was swimming like 100 feet above the bottom of the pool! Okay... it wasn't 100 feet but it was deep. It freaked me out so bad that I nearly peed right there.

But I didn't.

I held on to the wall trying to figure out why the length felt so long. I was still confused about the whole thing thinking maybe I was just so tired that it seemed longer than it actually was. I considered peeing but there were people coming so I pushed off and headed back to the other end. I got on my back for about 25 meters and reached the other end!

I did it again... and again... and again... again... and again and then one more time resting about 10-15 seconds at each end of the pool.

Finally!!! A four hundred meter swim accomplished. Four complete 100 laps. A damn quarter mile swim! I climbed out of the pool and heard the final BEEP as I crossed the timing chip area.

I handed the volunteer my ankle timing chip anklet and kissed Donna and Jake.

You know what I did next?

I ate a banana.

You'd think I'd pee right?

Nope... I ate a banana.

THEN... Jake and I went to the bathroom and I had a nice long pee...

AHHHHH!!!!

Final Triathlon Times:
0:37:15 Run (4 miles)
0:02:27 T1
0:42:51 Bike (10 miles)
0:03:50 T2
0:06:54 Run (0.5 miles)
0:16:22 Swim (400 meters)

1:49:38 Final Time

I came in 16 out of 20 in my age group! I beat a 30, 36, 34 and 32 year old! All younger than me so there! And who was the oldest Age Grouper in my Age Group? ME!!! Oh and some other guy who came in 2nd in the AG. Whoo hoo!!!

Having to pee made this Triathlon even more challenging than it already was.

Results: 2006 UCLA IRON BRUIN TRIATHLON RACE RESULTS

Again, as I swam this triathlon I was wondering why I was putting myself through such torture. I could just cancel pending events...

A few hours later I couldn't wait to do it again!

This was a fun-fun-fun yet challenging event!!! I had TONS of fun doing it... although they should change the title of the triathlon with the correct distances to:

"The UCLA IRON BRUIN TRIATHLON"
4 mile Run/10 mile Bike/0.5 mile run/400 meter Swim

Mark this one up as TWO Triathlons for GLENN in 2006 so far! YAHOOOOO!!!!!!!
2006-04-11 3:59 PM
in reply to: #393687

New user
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the expanded race report, and for your, umm, control during the swim (welcome to our "ool"...notice that there is no "p" in our "ool"...)! Note to self...try to get more porta-potties for next year.

Congratulations again on your race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » IronBruin Triathlon Rss Feed