General Discussion Race Reports! » Cure Austism Now Bethesa Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cure Austism Now Bethesa Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bethesda, Maryland
United States
Cure Austism
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 4s
Overall Rank = 223/321
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 8/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4:30 in the morning and got some Oatmeal and water in me. I took a bottle of water and some nutrigrain bars with me while I set up my transition area. My buddy and I had spots at the end of the bike racks and were right next to each other. The temp was VERYYYYY cold( try 35-38).
Event warmup:

To warm-up I was a little too excited and going back and forth to the bathroom about 2389248 times so I "forgot" to stretch out and that could be a sign of why I did what will be discussed later
Swim
  • 11m 9s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was in a pool and on the honor system so I had to keep track of how many laps I did. Thank got the lady who swam with me was very slow so I didn't feel any pressure at all. I got out in I'd like to say 10-13 minutes and proceeded to the transition area.
What would you do differently?:

Go a little quicker and train so I could move at a faster pace
Transition 1
  • 05m 24s
Comments:

Very nervous and excited in the transition area. Took a little longer then I expected to get all my stuff on and settled. Meanwhile my buddy put his shoes on and went off. I get halfway through the transition area and a volunteer tells me that I forgot my helmet. What an idiot?! So I finally get moving and on the bike course!

Remember my helmet and not put my glasses on my wet head?
Bike
  • 39m 11s
  • 10 miles
  • 15.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Started on a small incline, to a large drop where I picked up a lot of my speed, the hills killed me though. Didn't have a chance to train on hills since I'm down in Flat country in Salisbury, MD. At the end I think I should have gone for a higher cadence to get the acid out of my legs but I tried to grind it out and catch up some distance

Learn how to go to the bathroom while biking (had to take a potty break in T2). Also train more on hills
Transition 2
  • 03m 46s
Comments:

Got off the bike at the dismount area and once I unclipped my left foot my left calf cramped up BAD!. I walked my bike to my transition area and tried to get control of myself. I tried to take my shoes off and get my running shoes on but they didn't seem to come off. So I sat down (BAD IDEA) and then the race goes from good to bad. My body starts to shake, and I feel like I'm going to get sick. I quickly change my shoes and get my glasses and then head quickly to the bathroom trying to get my legs back

Go to the bathroom on the bike? Train more for running and more for the transition from bike to run
Run
  • 30m 33s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 12m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Other then my problem in T2, the run went well. My calf was still somewhat tight so I took the beginning pretty slow and tried to get some water in me. I took a break at first to stretch out my legs and get them back to running shape. I ran about a 1.25 miles into it and stopped to rest up for the last mile to go hard and strong

Train more brick workouts and drink something other then water
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched my legs and got my stuff took some time to warm up from the cold and see all that the other tri'ers were doing trying to take in as much as I could.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Transition and the run, not having my legs

Event comments:

Course was a little rough with the road conditions but all in all it went really well. Bummed I havent gotten my time yet, something supposedly went wrong with the time chips? But definately a good time and race

Last updated: 2005-11-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:09 | 547 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/321
Performance: Good
I went pretty
Suit: Jammer
Course: In Pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:24
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:39:11 | 10 miles | 15.31 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course: Road course three laps around course with one large downhill for speed and a few gradual inclines to climb up
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:46
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:30:33 | 02.5 miles | 12m 13s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Hilly run through home development area
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-11 5:17 PM

Pro
yep,
Subject: Cure Austism Now Bethesa Triathlon

2006-04-11 9:59 PM
in reply to: #393943

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Bethesda YMCA Triathlon
Congrats on the event CJ!

I wanted to do it, but found out about it too late and it was full.

Got any times to put to the report?? They may have posted something for the results from the event, most places do.

You need to hurry up and get off of school so I can put the smack down help get you up to speed on the bike and techniques for going fast!

Edited by Daremo 2006-04-11 9:59 PM
2006-04-11 10:30 PM
in reply to: #394124

Pro
yep,
Subject: RE: Bethesda YMCA Triathlon
Daremo - 2006-04-11 10:59 PM Congrats on the event CJ! I wanted to do it, but found out about it too late and it was full. Got any times to put to the report?? They may have posted something for the results from the event, most places do. You need to hurry up and get off of school so I can put the smack down help get you up to speed on the bike and techniques for going fast!
No no times yet I checked earlier today and they still don't have anything up.  I will be getting off of school at the mid/end of May and then definately every weekend probably will be out riding
2006-06-20 2:25 AM
in reply to: #393943

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
Subject: RE: Cure Austism Now Bethesa Triathlon

I saw your post for your race asking how you did....

Times for Swim/Bike/Run will drop with training....but the first thing I'd do is work on the T1 and T2 times for immediate results!  It shouldn't be taking you that long on a sprint distance race to get in and out of the transition areas.  Getting in and out of those fast is not a matter of how conditioned of an athlete you are but rather how well prep'd you are mentally and your set-up before the race.

There are several threads on BT that talk about how to properly set-up your transition...some better than others and some of them just work better for some and not so much for others.  What I'm trying to say is that you can at least get a good idea on how to set-up for faster times from what is in the forums.

Some of my tricks/Key things to remember:

Breath properly on the way out of the water to T1...it will help you focus for your transition and shake the dizzy feeling.

Baby powder in the socks/shoes always helps with wet feet slipping into a sock/shoe.

Make sure your bike is in the right gearing for a good start w/ pedals in a good starting location.

Useually you don't have to wear the race number until the run...if so, remember you can snap that race belt w/ your number attached while your running.

All things said, you should be able to get T1 out of the way in 2min or less and T2 in 1:30 or less regardless of the shape that your in.  If you do this you would be knocking 6min of your last race time...subtract that from your total time and see how well you like the postion you could have had with a bit more prep work and mental discipline.

Good luck on your next race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cure Austism Now Bethesa Triathlon Rss Feed