American Cycling
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 27m 18s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = SM4
Age Group Rank = 28/52
Pre-race routine:

I got home, ate a banana, loaded the remaining items into my car and looked for the headphones for my ipod, which were nowhere to be found so there was no warm-up music for me. Other than that, it was easier to find parking than I anticipated and there were no problems checking in.
Event warmup:

Saw Adam (Gearwhore) and his wife after I checked in and re-parked my car near them. Set up my trainer and talked to Mark (markdills38), Adam, and his wife while I spun. I was on the trainer for about 20 minutes moving through gears, and although I was ready mentally, my legs felt like they would have rather been back home on the couch when I hit some of the higher gears. Had a Clif Bar and Cytomax, switched out my wheels, putzed around and got in line.

I'll admit to being a little overwhelmed at how many competitive cyclists were there. I expected there to be some, but not in those numbers. It seemed like everyone had a disc wheel and was taking it very seriously. It was kind of cool actually, and like I figured, once I got on the trainer I was fine.
Bike
  • 27m 18s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 23.08 mile/hr
Comments:

I think I probably made every beginner's mistake that there is. I started my warm-up too early and after I spun on the trainer for 20 minutes, I still had about 25 minutes before I went off. Also, after I switched out my wheels, I reset my bike computer and rode around a little bit to make sure everything was shifting okay, but didn't reset it again when I was ready to start. I've never had someone hold my seat before at the start, but that was kind of nice so I could be fully clipped in, though I half thought I'd just fall over sideways once he let go. Anyway, after having been told numerous times to make sure I was in the right gear to start, I wasn't. I would have been if I were in the small chain ring, but I forgot to shift back down from the big ring and was a little surprised when I got started. After I got up to speed I felt pretty good and it took about 2 miles before my breathing really got under control. Got to the hill and stayed aero for the most part and then was pushed off to the side and had to slow a little near the top so I could wait for a car to pass. If I hadn't waited, I would've gone off course and I wasn't sure how strict they are with penalties on something like that so I figured a few seconds would be fine. Going down the back was no problem, and is usually the highlight, but as it flattened out and began a slight roll, I downshifted from the big ring to the small and dropped my chain. I rode about 25 yards trying to spin it back on, but it was completely off so I jumped off my bike and fixed it. Something that should have taken me 10" to do ended up taking me 51" because I was in too much of a hurry and every time I'd start getting it on, I'd drop it. Got to the turn arond shortly after that and was coming back when I realized I lost my focus and wasn't really pushing any more. My legs hurt, but I was breathing way too easy. Finally collected myself and got going again. After a few turns I knew the end was coming up and I saw the hill right before it. Or so I thought. I put in my final kick only to find out that I kicked too soon and still had maybe a mile (?) before I was done. I did this once before too, but apparently I didn't learn my lesson then. Finally came in and finished.
What would you do differently?:

I need to time my warm-up better so I finish it closer to my starting time. Also need to make sure I'm in the right gear when I start. Other things to work on include pacing, hills, and cornering. I usually go out too hard (in any event) and then have to reign it in a little bit so I can pace myself well enough for the entire event, not just the first 100 yards. I haven't really found the right combination for that hill in the middle yet, and I think I take corners too cautiously. I think I can pedal into them more and resume pedaling more quickly upon exiting them. The only other thing to do differently would be to not start my final kick until it actually is the last part!

All that said, even with dropping my chain and wasting time getting it back on, my time was better than the last time I did this TT 2 months ago.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to Mark, Stacie, Adam and Yvonne and coughed a lot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Better pacing, dropping my chain, and re-gaining my mental focus were the top 3 limiters of the day. Once I got into a groove of breathing, cadence and the right gear, I was fine, but it sometimes took longer than needed to find that rhythm.

Event comments:

It was well organized and no problems or confusion. The only minor complaint I'd have is that on my way back there were two volunteers at a corner that should have been pointing me to turn right. They were talking with their backs to me and I had to yell out to ask which way. But, they'd been out there for a few hours at that point and I was near the end. I should know the course anyway.

Last updated: 2006-03-14 12:00 AM
Biking
00:27:18 | 10.5 miles | 23.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/52
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Avg HR - 180 Max HR - 187
Wind: Little
Course: Fairly flat with some gentle rolling out and back with a fair sized hill in the middle.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-13 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Cherry Creek Time Trial Series #1

2006-04-13 11:44 AM
in reply to: #395692

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Cherry Creek Time Trial Series #1
So basically you've now checked off the entire list of dumb mistakes.  Hey, if you're going to do it, TT #1 is the right place.  And just think, by the time we actually get around to our chosen sport (still triathlon, not cycling), you'll be absolutely burying everyone on the bike.
2006-04-13 12:42 PM

User image

Expert
From the sound of your race report,  you did great.  Don't know about you, but dropping the chain would have really screwed w/ my head.  I've got a feeling that you'll be thoroughly pleased w/ your next race barring any mechanical problems.
2006-04-13 1:35 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Cool race report!! I can't wait to see how you do at the next one.
2006-04-13 4:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO

Get thee to a bike shop for a tune-up. That'll help your chain skipping/dropping problems.

And, remember that they throw out your worst time for the final standing, so your best 6 out of 7 races count at the end.

2006-04-13 4:32 PM

User image

Master
Denver
So even without any warmup music, a dropped chain and one minute stop, slowing for the car, etc. you still managed a 23mph+ avg?  Sounds good to me for a 1st time.

2006-04-13 7:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Hey Ryan good job. Maybe next year for me. That sounds like fun! 23 MPH?!?!?!
2006-04-14 4:12 PM

User image

Master
Savannah,
Wow, sounds like you learned a lot.  It all sounds a bit intimidating to me...way to stick with it and keep a positive outlook, though.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cherry Creek Time Trial Series #1 Rss Feed