General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM bike training indoors? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-14 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
Subject: IM bike training indoors?

Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering IM AZ in 2007. It comes at a good time in my life, and I can commit the time to train.

The major downside is that I live in Connecticut. 

Is it possible/reasonable to do a lot of long rides indoors? Has anyone done this?

It will of course depend on the individual - i.e. how long I can stand being on the trainer. But, any experience/advice?

Thanks!
Tom

2006-04-14 12:17 PM
in reply to: #396674

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: RE: IM bike training indoors?
Wow- the most time I can personally spend on my trainer is 2 hours max.   But I also don't live in the north and can pretty much ride outside in winter if geared up properly.  There's some really good spinnerval dvd's that will give you a good workout.  And the Tour de France videos are motivating to watch.  I'm sure that if you're dedicated enough to your goal that you'll find a way mentally to deal with long trainer rides.  If you're willing to commit time to train and it fits perfect in your life right now, then go for it!
2006-04-14 12:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dana Point, California

I did my first Ironman by training 2x per week on my CompuTrainer with no single session in excess of 1h15', and 1x road ride per week.  Long rides on an indoor trainer are boring and not productive in my view.  The "fun factor" is missing as well.  Perhaps you should consider an Ironman that is scheduled in such a way so that you can do your longer rides outdoors?

2006-04-14 2:03 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
I actually read a RR from a guy who was an embassy guard in some foreign country where he couldn't ride outside and did up to 7 hours on a trainer so it can be done, however if you value your mental health then I would do an IM later in the summer.
2006-04-14 2:26 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago

I just trained for IMAZ indoors and it didn't prepare me well enough.  There is no replacing time on the road.

I did several 4 hour rides, a couple 5 hour rides and one 6 hour ride on the trainer.  The mental part wasn't difficult since I got caught up on Alias' 1st season (ha ha ha) but it's really the muscle memory that suffers.

Even on the trainer on your road or tri bike, you don't have to balance your bike so your stabilizer muscles atrophy.  This is particularly painful in the tri-bike position because, while you don't realize it, when you're on the road on your tri-bike you use quite a few stabilizer muscles in your shoulders to make micro adjustments to steer...something you obviously don't have to do on the trainer.

I felt this affect me dramatically after my swim, where you use many shoulder muscles (of course) and then continue to use the small stabilizer muscles for 6-7 hours on the bike in the tri-bike position.

My shoulders killed me (esp. my right shoulder) due to this inadequate training component and while you don't realize it, the pain absorption you withstand on the bike leg ends up draining more energy than you suspect, which may cause your bike and/or run leg to suffer quite a bit as the compounding affect takes place in a multi-hour race.

That being said, it can and has been done in the past but if you're looking for a "fun" training time with other IM athletes, don't pick IMAZ since there might be many less of them in CT where you live.

Just my experience/opinion on IMAZ trng during the winter months. 

2006-04-14 2:39 PM

User image

Master
There was a recent article in Triathlete magazine or Inside Triathlon (I can't remember which), in which the author said he did all of his training for an IM on the trainer.

Personally, most of my bike training is and will be on the trainer. My work/life schedule forces me to train after dark - not a time I want to ride on the road. Now that the weather is turning I will get in one long ride per week outdoors.

2006-04-14 2:44 PM
in reply to: #396858

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
Steve- - 2006-04-14 3:26 PM

...but it's really the muscle memory that suffers.

Even on the trainer on your road or tri bike, you don't have to balance your bike so your stabilizer muscles atrophy. This is particularly painful in the tri-bike position because, while you don't realize it, when you're on the road on your tri-bike you use quite a few stabilizer muscles in your shoulders to make micro adjustments to steer...something you obviously don't have to do on the trainer.

I felt this affect me dramatically after my swim, where you use many shoulder muscles (of course) and then continue to use the small stabilizer muscles for 6-7 hours on the bike in the tri-bike position.

My shoulders killed me (esp. my right shoulder) due to this inadequate training component and while you don't realize it, the pain absorption you withstand on the bike leg ends up draining more energy than you suspect, which may cause your bike and/or run leg to suffer quite a bit as the compounding affect takes place in a multi-hour race.

THanks Steve! I hadn't thought much about that.

But would doing a few outdoor (long) rides be enough? I would probably be able to get in 1 or 2 outdoor rides each month, even during the winter. And I can also drive down to North Carolina for a few days or a week every couple months to get in some rides outside. 

So, would you think that, say, 3 outdoor rides of reasonable length each month would be enough to maintain the stabilizing muscles?

Thanks!
Tom

2006-04-14 3:17 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago

I don't know where the break-point would be.  All I know is what I experienced from my two IM races.

At the very minimum I would recommend ensuring you do almost all of your rides on the tri-bike the last 3 months of your trng...whether inside or out.

to get the most bang for your buck outside, make them the LONG rides if at all possible for the week.

2006-04-14 3:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dana Point, California

Following is what my coach wrote about indoor training...I believe him!  It is long, but worth the time to read and absorb it.

Indoor Training Sanity

“Athletes should measure their training success not by how many hours they log, nor by how wide a sweat pool they can produce in dark and dank basements, but instead by how fast they ride when they eventually take to the roads come spring.”

Another cold and dark winter looms just around the corner.  Athletes from the northern latitudes are busy preparing their video stockpiles in an effort to combat the impending mind and butt-numbing indoor cycling sessions they feel they have no choice but to endure if they are to be competitive in the season to come.

Many of these same athletes will follow the rote script of building base with low intensity training where the only training variable is ever increasing volume.  Thus, as the winter gets longer and darker, the bounds of these athletes’ sanity is continually pushed to the limit.  Rote base formulas insist that they have no choice but to keep doing more…and more still, for this is the only way to build base.

Might there be another way to build proverbial base in the dark of winter?

Yes!  For more than a dozen years both myself and a growing cadre of coached adults who eat Frosted Flakes, train more purposefully, and feel GREAT!

Indeed, there are few athletes or coaches who are greater advocates of indoor bike performance training than myself.  In fact, I will not coach you if you do not have an indoor trainer. 

However, my athletes effectively build winter base through concise indoor training sessions that last on average one hour.  I would never prescribe a 3 hour indoor base-building session for there are other ways to build base that are more effective, less time-consuming, and much more interesting than the tedium that 2-4 hour indoor slog-a-thons watching the same videos over and over again represent.

I confess to having first discovered the expansive benefits of indoor performance training by a fluke, and whose circumstances you can read below under Genesis.    Short version is that I got stuck in Boston in the winter of 1991, could not stomach riding for more than an hour indoors, had the circumstance of having my very first ride outdoors in many months be a tough 70 mile ride in Spain where I rode inexplicably well, took the time to ponder just how that ride was possible, and then revisited the indoor concept and studied it for the next dozen years.  See Genesis below for more detail.

Couple the above circumstances with a belief system that tells me if something isn’t fun and interesting it isn’t optimal, along with not wanting basic convention to limit my training options, I allowed instinct and open-minded observation to guide me in exploring ways to maximize performance.

Thus, over the years I have crafted a wide variety of performance enhancing, yet time-efficient training progressions.  The effectiveness of these progressions has been proven time and again by the hundreds of athletes that I have coached.  My athletes will be the first to tell you that training smart with the methods I have developed produces the following benefits:
·         Allows them to train far less than what is generally recommended, thus alleviating the stress of cramming training into a week with too few hours, only to finish frustrated by an inability to do so.
·         Sees them improving performance relative to previous years training with volume-based methods.
·         Makes training fun!  The workouts offer both variety and challenge, such that you can save your Tour de France tapes for afterwards while sitting in a comfortable chair.

So why is the program I describe so unique in general training quarters?

Three reasons come to my mind:
1.     Unfamiliarity with the medium.
Most top coaches and/or athletes will have largely trained optimally in warm weather climes where the thought of indoor training would not present itself, other than as a rainy day sub-optimal fallback option.  Thus, they have not had the opportunity to explore a different medium as I have done exhaustively for more than a dozen years.
2.       The ideas I present challenge convention, traditional training pyramids, flowcharts, etc.
Too much of what passes as coaching these days is simply passing on age-old formulas whose basis is that’s the way it’s always been done. 
3.       Failure to see Triathlon as its own sport.
Traditional base-building models are built on the idea of one sport.  Triathlon combines training for 3 sports and whose crossover effect accelerates building the base engine.

Of course there will always be people that disagree with the concepts I am describing.  However, I doubt that those that disagree have had first-hand experience in the methodology of applying the principles I advocate, much less have successfully implemented this proven method with countless athletes of all abilities. 

In short, their only frame of reference is if one were to do less of the same kind of monotone training the results would be a poorer performance, and this would likely be true.  The key is to change the way you train, not simply to train less.

So, if you live in Maine or Minnesota, and are determined to ride for endless hours indoors to build base, go ahead and do so.  But be aware that there are far more thoughtful ways to train, and which make base building more fun, less time-consuming, and ultimately more effective.  The athletes that I coach will already know this and will use the extra time balance their other training and life matters.

Afterall, athletes should measure their training success not by how many hours they log, nor by how wide a sweat pool they can produce in dark and dank basements, but instead by how fast they ride when they take to the roads.

Michael McCormack is a two-time Ironman Canada Champion and has been coaching athletes since 1994.  You can read more about Michael’s programs at www.triathloncoach.com.

Related articles that might be of interest are Rethinking Base Training, and Training Backward, the Pyramid Turned Upside Down.

Genesis of M2 Indoor Performance Bike Training

The genesis of my indoor training sanity revelation dates to 1991 when I was unable to return to my winter training quarters in sunny Spain.  Instead, it was me and my blackburn windtrainer in my Boston Back Bay living room.  It was a particularly nasty winter that year and whereas I do not enjoy being cold on the bike, much less dealing with combative Boston drivers unaccustomed to seeing cyclists in winter, I road indoors exclusively from January to April. 

My indoor sessions were generally about one hour duration and involved experimenting with a variety of fairly intense workouts in order to stave off boredom.  My longest indoor ride was 2hrs and I did this only once.  In fact, that 2hr exercise in tedium remains my longest indoor ride to this very day.  

When a back injury that had prevented me from running was finally cured, I flew to Spain in early April where I was anxious to get back to training outdoors in the company of professional and semi-pro riders.  My very first ride in Madrid turned out to be a 70mile hilly ride in the company of semi-pro riders, a seeming certain recipe for disaster considering that my average ride duration for the past 3 months was 1-hour.

Much to my surprise, not only did I endure the 70 miles, but I rode very strongly throughout, despite my complete lack of “base.”  Shocked and quite pleasantly surprised at this ride, I remember thinking that there clearly must be something of extra value to training indoors.  Nevertheless, now that I was in sunny Spain with its challenging roads, I could now take my cycling to an even higher level.

Two months later, I found myself noticeably slower than when I had arrived, despite an abundance of miles and good riding partners.  Hmm, what had changed? 

And so it was that in the month of June, I searched Madrid’s bike shops for a windtrainer.  My Spanish friends could not help laughing at this American who traveled to Spain to ride indoors twice a week. 

It was this same crazy American that was to have the last laugh when I leaped from anonymity to winning Ironman Canada that same year, breaking the bike record and defeating many of the sport’s top IM athletes in the process.  Something about that indoor training…

Since that eye-opening and career-changing year in 1991, I used the windtrainer and subsequently a computrainer as a year ‘round laboratory with which to experiment, test, and evaluate different workouts and training progressions. 

2006-04-14 3:27 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
If the rest of the training/riding are in line, I think 3 long road rides could or might do the trick. Like everyone else I hate the trainer and maxed out at around 2.5 hours. I eventually moved over to rollers, which have a much more natural feel than a trainer. You have to pay alot more attention to what you are doing, but I felt like I actually rode a bike when I was done (whole body to Steve's point) and not just moved my legs a little.

2006-04-14 7:29 PM
in reply to: #396925

User image

Elite
San Diego

Steve-

You were doing it wrong. I factored in the whole shoulder muscle problem, so I used the Playstation controler to help with my stabilization problems.

Maybe I should write a book on this...Hummm

2006-04-14 10:20 PM
in reply to: #397038

User image

Elite
Chicago
madcow - 2006-04-14 6:29 PM

Steve-

You were doing it wrong. I factored in the whole shoulder muscle problem, so I used the Playstation controler to help with my stabilization problems.

Maybe I should write a book on this...Hummm

DAMN, I knew I was missing something! 

2006-04-14 10:21 PM
in reply to: #396936

User image

Elite
Chicago

tjfry - 2006-04-14 2:27 PM If the rest of the training/riding are in line, I think 3 long road rides could or might do the trick. Like everyone else I hate the trainer and maxed out at around 2.5 hours. I eventually moved over to rollers, which have a much more natural feel than a trainer. You have to pay alot more attention to what you are doing, but I felt like I actually rode a bike when I was done (whole body to Steve's point) and not just moved my legs a little.

What was your max time on the rollers for IMAZ?  That's one thing I failed to incorporate into my IMAZ indoor trng regimine.

2006-04-15 8:06 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
I will say this... I sweat a hell of a lot more than I do when outdoors! WHICH IS NICE!
2006-04-15 9:21 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
probably about 1:15. I remember doing a ride that was about 2:30-2:45 and the first 1:15 was rollers and then I had the other bike hooked up to the trainer and jumped over to that. It was really surprising how unnatural it felt when I got on the trainer. Most of the time I rode for 30-45 minutes before work on the rollers. not a lot of time, but the rule of thumb that I used being 1.5 times (indoors to outdoors), it helped me feel solid for my long weekend rides on the road.

Although, if someone were to ask me, I would say that the biggest contributor to my bike ride was my RUN mileage...

think run.....
2006-04-17 7:57 AM
in reply to: #396931

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
ladavidson - 2006-04-14 4:22 PM

Following is what my coach wrote about indoor training...I believe him! It is long, but worth the time to read and absorb it.

Thanks for the info, larry. This seems to imply that training on a trainer indoors is quite doable - although in your previous post you suggested not trying to train for an IM indoors. Am I missing something? Thanks!

And I hear you're donig Boston today - good luck!!!

Regards,
Tom

2006-04-17 9:36 AM
in reply to: #397940

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
I think Larry's advice was consistent.  His point is not to do long marathon trainer sessions.  For most these are very tough mentally and, as Steve noted, don't have all the advantages of an outdoor long ride.  If you are going to be "stuck" on the trainer for a good portion of your training, make those sessions more intense.  In fact, his coach would suggest that these types of sessions can add value even if you're not "forced" into it.  A good combo would probably be 1 or 2 sessions/wk on the trainer that include more intensity but at a shorter duration combined with a long endurance ride done outdoors.
2006-04-18 7:55 AM

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
How does the strength and/or endurance building component of the rollers vs. trainer work out. Obviously it increases the strength and endurance of those "stabilizer muscles" by forcing you to balance etc. however, I seem to remember reading that the draw back of rollers is increasing/changing intensity..... as someone who trains on both, could you summarize? Thanks in advance!
2006-04-18 12:58 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Well, unless you add a flywheel to the rollers, adding resistance to increase intensity can be difficult. My rollers have almost the same resistance as a flat road (lets say flat road with a slight tailwind), so if want to pick up the effort I just switch gears (to a point). For a big effort or high intensity, the trainer would definitely be the option of choice. But, this discussion is about IM training. Now we could get into a whole training philosophy thing here on how to prepare for an IM and if we did I would tell you that intensity/intervals should be minimized in preparing for an IM. In fact the total number of intervals/efforts/tempos/whatever-you-call-it in my 6 month preparation for IMAZ reached a grand total of ...... 0. I trained in a very specific HR and rarely broke out of that range (either higher OR lower). I was able to stay in that range on rollers. Also, in regards to rollers, you are dealing with more than just supporting muscles. Rollers force you to pedal in a more fluid motion, i.e. forcing you to stop mashing so much. They also increase handling skills, which is not a top priority amoung triathletes, but it can come in handy when the smoothest part of the road is the white line, and you want to stay on it.

Now if we were talking about Olympic or Sprint bike training indoors...
2006-04-18 2:15 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
I think we have a new debate now: Rollers vs. Trainer!

2006-04-18 2:42 PM
in reply to: #399220

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Awesome--thanks for the feedback.... I'm going to be starting IMFL training shortly... it's my first and, as you know, FL is a very flat course so it'd probably not be a big deal to have the rollers simulating flat riding..... plus I do plan to get out of the road at least every weekend, so I'll naturally have some rolling hills to contend with (this place is full of 'em). Thanks again!

2006-04-21 8:14 PM

User image

new orleans
I just did IMAZ and I trained 50% on a trainer. Towards the end though, I found it very important to get at least 3 long rides in (5-6 hours). It is totally doable, I think the biggest problem with living in the north and doing IMAZ is not the trainer, but the huge heat gradient. I had a hell of a time going form 70 degrees in NEw Orleans to 95 degrees in Tempe.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM bike training indoors? Rss Feed