General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doing back-to-back tris in a weekend Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-21 1:26 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: Doing back-to-back tris in a weekend

I’m curious to hear from the folks that have done back-to-back tri races, as in one tri on Saturday and the next on Sunday (consecutive…same week ).  I’m thinking about doing this in June.  The Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival will be going on the first weekend of June.  I’ve already signed up for the Oly on Saturday.  I’ll be on the BT Oly to HIM bridge training plan at that time in preparation for Barb’s Race (HIM) in August.  So originally I figured the Oly would fit well on my path to the HIM.  But on Sunday is an Xterra (800 m swim, 25K MTB, 5K trail run).  I did this Xterra last year and bonked hard on the run.  As in “sit under a shady tree and eat a Cliff bar” kind of bonk.  But I’ve learned a thing or two about nutrition since then. 

The race is at elevation;  6000ft compared to the 2300ft I’m used to.  So that has me wavering on doing it or not.  But I do know the Xterra course, and had no problem with the MTB portion last year.  That’s kind of why I want to do it, as I came from a mountain biking background before tris.  Not a fast XC racer or anything, but good on the technical stuff, especially downhill.

Part of me wants to follow my signature line “Go big or go home.”  The race is a 5 hr drive away, so doing both would make the trip a bit more worth it.  And this would push the envelope for me.  But the other part of me figures I’m a BOP racer enough as it is and should just stick to what’s safe which is the Oly as I know I’ll have no problem with that distance.

What to do…what to do…

2006-04-21 1:51 PM
in reply to: #402931

Pro
Andover
Subject: RE: Doing back-to-back tris in a weekend
I haven't done that, yet, but I say: TEAR IT UP! GIVE 'EM HE11!

Or, simply, "Go big or go home!"
2006-04-21 3:11 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I've done the Oly/Sprint double in a weekend before (back when I was young and indestructible). I don't anything about you, but I would say that you can go ahead and do them both, but one of them you'll have to give up any ideas of "doing well" and just make it a longish training day. The only other caution I'd give is that with the Xterra (not knowing the course at all), the off-road aspect could make fatigue an issue with injury -- as in mental fatigue becoming a lapse in attention that could become an acute injury. Definitely keep your head in the game, even if you're not going all out for a podium spot.
2006-04-21 3:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Eat and hydrate right...and go big Use the Xterra as an easy stretch out and recoop day after the Oly.

I'd bet the 6000' elevation was more of the bonk than the lack of food last year.

I have two weekends this summer with races back ot back. Makes you look at things a lot differently. I use the second day as "race" training more than a full on race. Thay are always great educations to see if you are doing food and long term endurance right.

I also like to keep track of my sleep and how I feel before/between and after as an idea of IM recovery later in the year.

Good luck, sounds fun!
2006-04-21 4:05 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Well, I'm definitely not worried about podiums.  I'm thinking about using this as an endurance test.  Sort of like a HIM with a half day rest in between. 

I'm thinking I'll push on the Oly, just because I'll be fresh for that race.  Then treat the Xterra as a "recovery" race.  The swim is no problem, and will help loosen everything up.  My legs will probably scream on the climbs for the MTB portion, and the run has some climbs too, but flattens out.

I keep thinking about how cool an accomplishment it would be to finish both.  Oh, and they do give out a little prize for the female and male that finish both in the least amount of time.  So that's a little bit extra motivation, as there's not much competition (1 lady did it last year).

2006-04-21 4:07 PM
in reply to: #403138

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Nob - 2006-04-21 12:54 PM

I'd bet the 6000' elevation was more of the bonk than the lack of food last year.

That could very well be.  I may not have hydrated enough pre-race once we got up in the mountains.  I'll try to do some research on more things to do to help with the change in elevation before the race.

2006-04-21 4:34 PM
in reply to: #403161

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
PirateGirl - 2006-04-21 2:07 PM

I'll try to do some research on more things to do to help with the change in elevation before the race.

Couple of things really can help. Push the hydration with good rest at least 24 hrs before arriving. Try to race within the next 24 hrs after arrival. The idea is it takes 3 to 4 weeks to acclimatize fully. So race when you are rested before travel fatigue catches up to you. Thank goodness it is only 6K and not 10 which can really slam you. Rest and hydration should get you through a couple of "quick" efforts.

The info come from Chris Carmichael's book "Ultimate Ride" which has some good info on how to deal with elevation.

Good luck and let us know how it went.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doing back-to-back tris in a weekend Rss Feed