General Discussion Race Reports! » RMRR 20 Mile Race/Colfax Marathon Race Series Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

RMRR 20 Mile Race/Colfax Marathon Race Series - Run20 Mile

View Member's Race Log
Denver, Colorado
United States
Rocky Mountain Road Runners
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 20m 30s
Overall Rank = 1/?
Age Group = 40
Age Group Rank = 1/?
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early... I've been sick and tired of being sick and tired... I slept about 10 hours last night. Had a cup of coffee and took a quick shower. Ate a banana and on the way to the race had half a peanut butter cup. Drank most of an orange Gatorade... registered and toed the starting line...
Event warmup:

Lilia wanted to run to the staging area... I tried but the infection on my leg hurt and I decided to walk there.
Run
  • 2h 20m 30s
  • 20 miles
  • 07m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I didn't want to go out too fast and blow up at the end... but I sort of did. My last dozen or so runs have been slow and difficult. I just wanted to run smooth and finish strong today... 7:20 miles would have been perfect. Instead, once the race started, I felt good and led the race from start to finish. I was happy to run faster than i wanted to, but I wish I faded less. I had to work really hard to stay ahead of the second place guy... who caught me from behind during a 15 mile race a month ago... this time I held him off!
What would you do differently?:

Go out a litle slower... I believe in negative splits... Also, I should have drank more and a goo or two would have been nice.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some water, an energy bar and a banana. Sat at the pic-nic table and waited for Lilia...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think my infection is zapping me of my strength and energy... also, my training has not been up to standard. I've battled injuries and illness this year. Hopefully, things will start coming around.

Event comments:

It's always nice to win a race - even if the level of competition is low. It's good for the ego and spirit. I needed this one. Now, its time to parlay that into more consistent training and a good performance at the Colfax Marathon.

Last updated: 2006-04-23 12:00 AM
Running
02:20:30 | 20 miles | 07m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/?
Overall: 1/?
Performance: Good
My HR rate was very high today... I may have blood poisoning from my infections. Emergency room in the AM. Average heart rate was about 157.
Course: Flatish route on a gravel path with just a few small hills. Very sunny and warm. Not much shade.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-04-23 3:55 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: RMRR 20 Mile Race/Colfax Marathon Race Series

2006-04-23 8:14 PM
in reply to: #404212

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Subject: RE: RMRR 20 Mile Race/Colfax Marathon Race Series
Way to go, babes! You did awesome!
Next time I'll try to win too so we can both be on the podium, today was not my day
2006-04-24 10:22 AM
in reply to: #404368

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan
Geez mate, injured, sick, little training by your standards but still...1ST!!  Unbelievable!!  Great job.  I can't wait to see you back at 100% and kicking (more) butt!!
2006-04-24 8:16 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Nothing like announcing to the world "I'm back!"  nice race!
2006-04-24 9:07 PM

Way to go Richard, excellent job! Mr. Competitive should I say? I don't blame you because I probably would have run harder than anticipated as well. Just imagine what you'd be like with out the downtime from injury! Scary
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RMRR 20 Mile Race/Colfax Marathon Race Series Rss Feed