General Discussion Race Reports! » The Beach Blast Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Beach Blast Triathlon - Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mexico Beach, Florida
United States
Good Time Sports
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 59m 6s
Overall Rank = 74/84
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/9
Pre-race routine:

Basic stretching and trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do.
Event warmup:

Jogged around a bit. Got acclimated to the water. It was nowhere near as cold as I thought it was going to be.
Swim
  • 20m 21s
  • 704 yards
  • 02m 53s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

SWIM THE WAY I TRAINED! I started out way too fast. All the bodies in there didn't freak me out. I took my fair share of hits and ended up kicking a few people, too. I was the last one out of the water. I think a few people got pulled out because I saw a few yellow caps when I rounded the last bouy. It was impossible for me to run coming out of the water. I contemplated quitting, but my wife and kids were sitting on the beach.

I bought the TI book. Time to start on those drills.
Transition 1
  • 04m 10s

Forgot my bucket to wash my feet in. Had I known it was going to pour, I'd have just washed my feet on my towel, but I walked away a bit.
Bike
  • 56m 11s
  • 15 miles
  • 16.02 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought about eating my powergel on the bike. Perhaps I should have. I think my leg cramps later may have been lessened.

On race day, nothing. Perhaps I should have gone a bit slower. I felt great on the bike. My desire to quit faded as I biked. I passed about 12 people and that made me feel better. I thought I was doing much better than 16mph, though.
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s

This transition was pretty fast by my standards. I had a bit of trouble hanging up my bike. Aside from that, good transition.

Ate my power gel on the way out of T2
Run
  • 36m 33s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 47s  min/mile

Drink more, drink sooner. My failure to hydrate myself manifested itself in this leg. Both quads siezed up on me, one at a time at first and finally both together. My cardio wasn't the problem. I had plenty of energy. My muslces just started shutting down on me. I'll have to figure out the root cause (electrlytes, water, inadequate weight training, all of the above) and fix it.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to jog a bit, but that just wansn't happening. I walked around a while and drank lots of water. Then I partook of the shrimp and other food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Unsure. Again, it seems like my muscles shut down before my cardiovascular system got overtaxed. I'll have to hit the weights more this summer. And more water during the race.

Event comments:

Well, I'll have to say this is the best race I've ever run. I must do another this year to see how I can improve my scores.

Last updated: 2006-01-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:21 | 704 yards | 02m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/9
Overall: 0/84
Performance: Bad
Suit: None
Course: Swim out to bouy, left turn to next bouy and left turn to shore. Wave Start.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:10
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:56:11 | 15 miles | 16.02 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Wind was stong at times. The T-storm rolled in just as I got going on the bike. It felt like little bullets hitting my eyes. Course was mostly flat with one hill leading up to a bridge.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:33 | 03.1 miles | 11m 47s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat course with no 180deg turns. I hate to just turn around in the street. Went through some nice neighborhoods with a few people cheering from their porches.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-04-23 9:47 PM

User image

, Tokyo
Subject: The Beach Blast Triathlon - Sprint

2007-02-11 11:02 AM
in reply to: #404439

Tampa, FL
Subject: RE: The Beach Blast Triathlon - Sprint
aokirk,

I just finished reading the '06 Beach Blast race report. I am trying the sprint this year. It will be my first attempt at a triathlon. Do you know of anything at this course that I should be aware of? Are the transition areas easy to get into/out of?

Might see you there in April if your doing it this year.

Thanks.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Beach Blast Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed