General Discussion Race Reports! » Metroplex Du-2-Du Duathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Metroplex Du-2-Du Duathlon - Long Course - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grand Prairie, Texas
United States
Ironhead Race Productions
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 26m 8s
Overall Rank = 109/157
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/15
Pre-race routine:

Debated between using bottles or my CamelBak. I knew that it would be humid, and I wanted to practice using my CB at race intensity, so I chose that. I stop at Albertson's to buy a styro-foam cooler to keep it cool in during the first run because I HAVE to have cold Gatorade. My wife always makes fun of my for this.
Event warmup:

Decent stretching.
Run
  • 42m 58s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 08m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

2 waves for the long course. 40+ started first, then 39 and under. I started at about 8 pace, but slowed to around 8:30s after a couple of miles. I was way back of the pack with only 2 guys behind me and then they past me around mile 3 and I was DFL of the 2nd wave!. This was a shock to me and something completely new. I'm normally MOP, not BOP! I had to deal with this mentally, telling myself that I'll probably pass some people on the bike. I kept tell myself that this was just a training race, not an A or B priority and that I did 3+ hours on the bike yesterday afternoon!

Saw Aaron (JeepFleeb) starting his bike at about mile 4 of my run. He yelled at me to go faster, and I thought "easy for him to say; he's only doing the short course!" :)

I finished this leg feeling pretty good physically.
What would you do differently?:

Uhhh... Go Faster!
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Slow, primarily due to having to put on my CamelBak, but hey it's only a 15-20 seconds extra. Not too big a deal when we're talking about a 3+ hour race!
Bike
  • 1h 58m 22s
  • 37.9 miles
  • 19.21 mile/hr
Comments:

I have to really work against the wind. I don't want to go dead slow, and I can't get any lower in the front (more aero) because of my limited flexibility so I'm stuck suffering in the wind. Oh well, most people do. I was surprised that it took me a while to start passing people and they were mainly older athletes and few women. I passed very few men under 40. I started to realize that there were alot of very strong athletes in this race as it was the National Championship for long course duathlon!

I was glad I took my CamelBak and I took frequent sips from it. I took 3 salt tablets at about 45 minutes (probably too late), 1:15, and 1:40. I think that was adequate, but I want to experiment with more because my CB straps are always so crusty with sweat salt! So I think I lose of lot of sodium in my sweat!

Tailwinds are a blast and they always last much shorter than the headwinds
I hate my tri-shorts with a passion. No padding what-so-ever! I might need to get a new pair.

I saw Jack Weiss (the RD) running as I was coming into the park on my bike. I've never seen him race before and he can really move!

Throughout the ride, I was really worried that my HR was too high, but overall I was happy with bike peformance and in the end I was still able to run pretty good off the bike, so my HR couldn't have been THAT bad.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe take a couple more salt pills, and carry some water to wash them and my gel shots down.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Nothing special.
Run
  • 41m 53s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile went by good at close to 8 pace, but I slowed somewhat after that and my HR continued to rise! I also started to develop a weird cramp in my lower abs/lower stomach area. I normally get side stiches on the side of my abdomen, not right in the middle. So this was a first, but thankfully the pain was mild and it never really limited my ability to run. This cramp/distress could have been due to taking in too many calories on the run because this was my first race with Carbo-Pro mixed into my Gatorade.

I only got passed by one person the whole second run, while I passed probably 10-12 people. After mile 4, I picked up my pace to close to 7 and my HR was 192! Overall, I'm very happy I was able to run this 2nd run leg faster than the first!
Post race
Warm down:

Changed out of my sweaty clothes pretty quickly, and ate some pizza. It was still from CiCi's and it was still HOT! YUMMMM!! Made my double dose of Endurox and drank it.

Chatted with Aaron and few other racers.

Bought 3 big bags of ice, and poured them into a cold water in my bath tub. There's nothing more shocking than getting into an ice bath. It always takes my breath away, but I really think it helps my recovery.

Event comments:

My first BOP experience, being DFL in my AG. Not too bad overall though. I defintely could tell my legs were still fatiqued from my late-afternoon 3 hour ride yesterday. But I need to learn to perform on tired legs for an Ironman, so today was good experience for that.

Last updated: 2006-04-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:58 | 04.97 miles | 08m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/15
Overall: 149/157
Performance: Average
157 Avg HR - About where I would have like to kept it all day.
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:33
Overall: Average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:58:22 | 37.9 miles | 19.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/15
Overall: 95/157
Performance:
164 avg with 62% btw 160-169 and only 17% under 160!
Wind: Strong
Course: Normal LakeRidge course with strong winds from the south.
Road:   Cadence: ?
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:41:53 | 04.97 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/15
Overall: 93/157
Performance: Good
173 avg! with about 50% between 160-169 and 50% above 170!
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-24 6:30 AM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Subject: Metroplex Du-2-Du Duathlon - Long Course

2006-04-24 6:34 AM
in reply to: #404524

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Metroplex Du-2-Du Duathlon - Long Course

Nice race! FOP/BOP is all about who shows up. You had a negative split on your second run. That's awesome!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Metroplex Du-2-Du Duathlon - Long Course Rss Feed