General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St. Anthony's Water Temp and Wetsuit Rules Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-24 10:42 AM

User image

New user
Subject: St. Anthony's Water Temp and Wetsuit Rules
According to this website (http://www.weather.gov/view/validProds.php?prod=SRF&node=KTBW) the water temp at St. Pete Beach is currently 80 degrees. I guess my first question is:

1. is the water temp in the bay typically the same, lower or higher than a beach temperature?

and then my second question is

2. the rules state that wetsuits can be worn if the temp is 78.0 or below - if the temp is between 78.1 and less than 84.0 than an individual can still wear a wetsuit but will be ineligible for awards and USAT points - now the question: do individuals typically wear a suit if the temp is between 78.1 and 83.9? Personally, I am not too concerned with awards or USAT points but, at the same time, if conventional wisdom says that wearing a wetsuit when the temp is over 78 is "cheating" than I certainly do not want to wear one!

Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

2006-04-24 10:52 AM
in reply to: #404801

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Water Temp and Wetsuit Rules
I would think if someone was a weak swimmer (like me) then using the wetsuit would be the way to go.

However, there is also the concern that you will get really hot and sweat a lot as well. I know when I did over 2000 yards in the 83 degree pool in my wetsuit that I was sweating like a pig. I would me more worried about overheating and electrolyte depletion than speed in a race situation with that sort of temp.
2006-04-24 10:53 AM

User image

Columbus, Ohio
A friend just emailed me this link:
http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/boatandbeach/weather/tend...
It says the water temperature is actually 73 degrees - so lower than the beach temperature which is just the air temp.

On the other question, personally I'd rather go without the wetsuit at warmer temps and get my points!

Cheers and enjoy! See you there!
2006-04-24 10:56 AM

User image

Giver

You folks going to St. A's might want to check out the forum on the race website (www.satriathlon.com). It states that the discretionary use of wetsuits at 78 degrees and above is up to the race director, and it's basically implied that the SA RD will, at his discretion, not allow wetsuit usage if the water temp is above 78 degrees.

This is the SA Forum post:

"Can age groupers wear wetsuits in water temps >78 degrees but less than 84 degrees? If its 80 degrees, can we wear them just not be eligible for any recognition? "

While there is a provision in the USAT Rules that allows for this condition, it most likely will not happen at St. Anthony's.   It will require the approval of the Race Director to be initiated, you would not start in your 'age group' wave, but in a special wave that starts dead last.  

As the Official water temperature is not known until just hours before the event starts, it all becomes a major hassle to put in place, especially with the large number of participants at this event.  With over a dozen years working triathlons, and out of 175+ events, I think I recall it happening one time.  And the event had less than 400 participants, with only a couple in the special wave.

As mentioned above, it is at the discretion of the Race Director.

Edited by run4yrlif 2006-04-24 11:01 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St. Anthony's Water Temp and Wetsuit Rules Rss Feed