General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting Nervous... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-03 2:02 PM

New user
Royal Oak, Michigan
Subject: Getting Nervous...
My first tri is on June 20th. It is a sprint: 750 m swim; 19k bike; 5 k run. This week I have been sick with the flu (and my runs haven't been that great). Prior to this week, I felt like I was doing great. This is where I am at:

Swimming: I have been practicing swimming 1000 yards without stopping. I did have my first open water swim last week and it was more difficult than I thought (and this is why I'm nervous). I try to swim laps once or twice a week.

Biking: Not worried about this. Have extensive biking experience. Usually on the weekend I will do a long bike ride - anywhere from 10 to 20 miles (with extensive hill climbing). The Maumee Bay Triathlon will be flat.

Running: I run 3-1/2 miles each morning (approximately 5 days per week).

I am about 10 pounds overweight. I was hoping to lose it but haven't yet.. although I feel like I am in pretty good shape.

AM I READY ENOUGH TO DO THE JUNE 20th TRI? My goal is just to finish it and not worry about speed.

Thanks for your input!!!

2004-06-03 2:40 PM
in reply to: #28918

Subject: RE: Getting Nervous...
Sounds like you are totally ready. I just did my first sprint a couple of weeks ago and sounds like I was in a very similar spot as you are and I finished right smack in the middle of the pack as I expected.

Swim: My worst but I grinded out .5 miles in 16+ mins
Bike: Just like you my strongest. I do hills on the weekend. I cruised on the "rolling hills" course and finished close to the top 100 at around 21mph
Run: I was running 3 miles a few times a week and finished with 8:30 min miles tired but not DEAD.

Nervous: I was super nervous of the unknown just like you

You'll do great. Sounds like you've done the training and are ready to me. Finishing will not be a problem. You will probably do just fine speedwise as well.

Good Luck and have fun

Edited by Rats13 2004-06-03 2:51 PM
2004-06-03 2:48 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Jody - sorry about the flu - that can make anyone feel as though they might be falling back. You'll do just great! (And you're gonna look great in your new tri t-shirt, which hit the mail  to you yesterday!) Good luck and we'll be watching for your race report.
2004-06-03 2:56 PM
in reply to: #28930

New user
Royal Oak, Michigan
Thanks for your encouragement! I'm glad your tri went good. I hope to report back similar results (although I bet my run will be a bit slower!). The swim is what I am most nervous about though!
2004-06-03 2:57 PM
in reply to: #28931

New user
Royal Oak, Michigan
Thanks! I can't wait to get my T-shirt!! I'm sure once I wear it, people will be asking where I got it!
2004-06-03 6:07 PM

, Alabama

Prerace jitters are normal.  Once the gun goes off, you'll be concentrating so hard about getting through the swim, you'll forget all about the nerves.  Then you're home free!

Sharon

2004-06-03 7:39 PM

User image

New user

Chicago, IL
You will do GREAT in the race...have confidence in your preparation.

The nerves will give you adrenaline and will be forgotten 100 yards into the swim!

Also, what I would suggest (and this might help with the 10 pounds) is upping your run distance this summer, after the triathlon on the 20th. Focus more on time, not distance. Do one or two long runs a week.

GOOD LUCK
2004-06-03 8:29 PM

New user
Good luck on the 20th! I will be doing my first on the 19th, our first weekend for tris! I'm currently having some hamstring problems, lots of pain, so my training has to stop and this bothers me. But I do feel that all I have done will hold for the next two weeks. Maybe all I need is a bit of rest. Let us know how you do. By the way, I am originally from Michigan and moved from Pleasant Ridge in the 90s. Now we are moving back "home", I am anxious to find shorter races in the area....is there a website? Thanks....Barbara
2004-06-03 9:53 PM
in reply to: #28992

New user
Royal Oak, Michigan
Barbara, Good luck on your Tri! Let me know the details. There are many short tri's in the area. My husband is from Ohio and he likes the Wheelie Fun Tri series. There are seven of them (I think), and you can do sprints, olympic distances.

I'm from Royal Oak so when you move back "home" we will be neighbors!
2004-06-03 9:53 PM
in reply to: #28992

New user
Royal Oak, Michigan
Barbara, Good luck on your Tri! Let me know the details. There are many short tri's in the area. My husband is from Ohio and he likes the Wheelie Fun Tri series. There are seven of them (I think), and you can do sprints, olympic distances.

I'm from Royal Oak so when you move back "home" we will be neighbors!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting Nervous... Rss Feed