Ironman North America
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 48m 3s
Overall Rank = 2230/
Age Group = F 45-49
Age Group Rank = 78/
Pre-race routine:

Long Race = Long Race report

11/2/2011 10am The day is here that I get to leave for Ironman. Finally. Its been a rotten year with one exception. Its been a really crappy race year. Injury, logistics problems, jellyfish and hurricaines have conspired against me all year from completing one normal race. A career change that has been so much less that what I hoped for has left me nearly despondant. Injury and a pool that makes me sick has made my run and swim training WAY less than what I would normally do in preparation for this race although the 2 months prior things turned around for me a bit, and while its not perfect I am usually pretty good and doing the best with what I am handed and I think I did that well this year.

The exception to my otherwise crappy year has been that I met my soul mate (AKA pumpkin) Actually we have known each other peripherally for many years but I hadn't seen him since a mutual friends wedding about 8 years ago until fate brought us back together again. He too has been going thru some major life changes which were not so good and I think we saved each other a bit these last few months.

The week prior to departure did not exactly go as planned. I really have had just this one thing to look forward to for most of the year. I was super super excited. Then things started going into the toilet. Pumpkin is in the middle of a family emergency and as I write this cannot not come to the race. Certainly his kids need to come first and it is not his doing but really disappointing as he has seen me thru so much this year, has shared my training journey and I wanted him to be there to see this crazy thing I do called ironman. I understand but it doesn't make the fact he probably won't be there any less dissapointing because it was something I really wanted to share with him.

8 days prior to race day my mom was diagnosed with lymphoma, a form of cancer. A different one from what she had before. Fortunately she was able to schedule her testing for staging so that she and my dad can still come to the race. Another stressor I really didn't need. Suddenly the thing I had looked forward to for so long just didn't seem important or worthwhile anymore despite the long hours spent training and anticipating this adventure.

So finally onto today. Got up and changed the bed and did a load of laundry. My mom had bought me some sweats to wear this week but as I walked around the house it became apparent that they were roughly 6 inches too long and wouldn't do. I made a half hearted attempt at hemming them but just decided on another pair. Mom will have to live with disappointment.

9 am I schelp myself and my junk to the airport. THANK GOD I went early. I must look like a terrorist today in my sweatpants, running shoes and Team Red White and Blues shirt. Really? I'm racing for veterans and I become a TSA magnet? Geez o pete. I had a huge meltdown in the middle of the airport as TSA completely and I mean COMPLETELY tore my bike case apart inspecting every single little thing in there, telling me NO I can't re-pack the bike. It wasn't just that it was the cummulation of my moms diagnosis, pumpkins ongoing drama, my inability to be able to help either one of them and feeling like IMFL has already been stolen from me as each of the other races I have tried to do this year have been. Perhaps its too much to ask to have one thing go right for me for a change. They did take pity on me and allowed me to re-pack the bike myself. Then of course I got patted down going thru security. Seriously I can't catch a break.
So that leaves me here typing this in the airport on word as BT ate the first draft. Of course. Here is hoping for smooth travels the rest of the way and a bike that arrives in one piece.

12 noon Arrive in Houston and get a message to call Pumpkin. Seems things are resolved with him at least for the time being and he is green lighted to come. YAY. Due to some not insignificant things on his end he has a busy day ahead of him tho. Fingers crossed he makes it tommorrow. Cautiously optimisitc.

2:30 arrive PCB. Got to the enterprise counter and got the keys to the car. My luggage AND bike made it WOOHOO. KathyG gave me a heads up on the fact they have free wheelie dealie things and I used one to get eveything to the car and for the record my luggage weighed more than me.
Drive as fast as I can to the condo park and by 3:30 make it to registration. WAY too close for comfort. Did the expo thing quickly and got some good stuff off the sale rack and an ironmate shirt for Pumpkin :) Quick change into shorts then off to the super market. Texting and calling various people as I went. Unloaded and went in search of my GPS which was supposedly delivered monday but they didn't have it. Will have to investigate. Put bike together shower and TO BED. Whooped.

11/3/2011 06:30
That is actually sleeping in for me. I am dread to admit it but it feels like I am getting a cold. Mentally trying to deny the bad timing, but all the sleep I got last night helped no doubt. I am sitting in bed watching the sun come up over PCB and finally feeling relaxed. All my things are here. My loved ones are coming and I am all checked in and ready to go. Looking forward to meeting lots of new BTers this am!!

OK we are going to have the most overeducated, and medically qualified gorup of people in this condo, one medical doctor (me) one medical doctor who is also a lawyer (Pumpkin) one athletic trainer with a phd (Jeff) and a phyiscal therapist (Wendi). Crazy.

Late Afternoon: Well the BT swim was a big success!! I think we had 25 athletes or more. After the swim I came back and rinse myself and my wetsuit off then took my bike over to Dragon sports (THANKS FOR THE TIP JEN) to get a real bike computer installed and the mechanic went over my whole bike to be sure it was in tip top shape. I also dropped a bunch of money on various and sundry other items.

Wendi and Jeff were about here by then and I had a conference call with my coach which in the excitement of the day I had forgetten about (Sorry Will :)) So we had a good chat mostly about how well things have been going for me running lately and barring some disaster saturday we both would like to continue to build on that in the coming year.

I went in search of my GPS unit and Kathys and successfully retrieved both! YAY! Spent some time in the athletes village and spoke with the foundation people and met Michellie Jones!!! She hasn't really raced recently and I asked her about that. Turns out she has had an injury so I gave her some advice and my opinion and she was actually pretty eager to hear what I had to say much to the chagrin of the IM person trying to wisk her off to do something else. Anyway hopefully I might be able to help another injured athlete in some small way.

Then it was off to the BT lunch. Yummy!! I cut out early to run to walmart and get everythig I could think of to stave off a cold. Then took my faithful steed out for a little ride. Lucy's spirit performed admirably. When I got back after a quick shower my mom and dad had arrived so I helped them a bit but I gotta say even tho I LOVE them to pieces my stress level is exponetially decreased by NOT charing a condo with them this year. Off they went to Walmart and I just hung out. We all went out for pizza at Mellow Mushroom was at its usual snails pace service but I made it back in time to go pick my pumpkin up at the airport. We are truely soulmates and I can't tell you how happy I am he is here to share this with me. I feel like I am home whenI am in his arms

11/4/2011 Yep. Definately have a cold. BOOOO. Took some aleve cold and sinus which dramatically improved life. Went down to the swim but almost no one was there and I was freezing. I decided that not getting chilled would be way better than swimming a few 100 yards and we bailed. Lots of resting today. Got signed up for 2012 and bags and things dropped off. I took pumpkin to see the athletes village and give him the lay of the land so to speak. More resting. Theme of the day is resting, which we did a LOT of. My mom made what she calls spaghetti pie for dinner so Pumpkin, Wendi, Jeff and I went over to their condo for dinner. Pumpkin made a sign. Kathy came over to visit for a while and then it was off to bed.

11/5/2011 RACE DAY!! Up at 4:15 to take my meds and get dressed. Gathered all my stuff. I was afraid I would forget the GPS unit but I remembered it. We met Kathy and Kevin in the lobby but I remebered I left my fluids in the fridge (DU-OH) so I went and got them then back to the lobby and started walking over together. The security nazis MADE us go put stupid condo wrist bands on or they would not let us back onto the property so I had run back upstairs AGAIN for those. I was wheezy while jogging and the thought that that is NOT good flashed thru my head but I put it to one side.

Off to transition, Tires pumped, SN bags dropped off, Fluids on bike, GPS turned on and deposited in bike bag. Back to the condo. Had my usual breakfast of golden grahams and some diet coke and we all just hung out til it was time to go down to the swim start. Called my parents so we could meet up and got the rest of the wetsuit on. Off we go. We didn't have much time so we did hugs and kisses and I got into the swim corral. Positioned myself in my usual spot. There are SO many more men than women in this race. Its crazy
Event warmup:

None. Its an ironman the swim is the warmup
Swim
  • 1h 20m 19s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

SWIM: The pros go off and we are waiting. The water was nice and flat. National anthem and BOOM goes the cannon. We wade in the water and off we go. I gotta say this was the LEAST amount of total contact I have had an any of my ironmans. The first leg of the swim its just difficult to truely swim. All you can do is try to not get pummeled and let the group pull you to the first turn buoy. At some point someone kicked me HARD into my hand hyperextending my wrist. OUCH. WOW that hurt. We finally got to the first turn buoy and seemed like it took no time at all to go across the top. I was trying to use the draft effect to the maximum advantage and save as much energy as possible as I knew that being sick in combination with the cold meds my energy would be zapping my energy even more.

Rounded the second turn buoy and started swimming. I went a little ways and there was a woman screaming for help. Another racer had stopped as did I. The lady was screaming she had dislocated her shoulder. I told her I was an orthopedic surgeon and did she want me to try to reduce it? She said yes and I tried to bend her ELBOW, and she started screaming. OK so much for that technique. I tried to slip it back in using another technique but in addition to the fact she was totally flipping out and screaming it turns out its not so easy to reduce a dislocated should when both you and your pateint are treading water and encased in neoprene. By then the kayak was there for her so I swam away.

I started to swim again and BANG I get kicked in the same wrist the EXACT same way. BOO. OUCH. That hurt the rest of the day and my hand was numb the rest of the swim. Awesome. FINALLY out for the first loop. Always fun to run across the beach. Some idiot was sprinting and elbowing people out of his way and runs inthe water and SPLAT falls right on his face. Snerk.

I felt like I managed to draft better on the second loop than in years past. LOTS of jellyfish this year and I just pulled my feet up to avoid being stung. My wrist really hurt and I was worried I might have broken something. Also my whole hand was numb. Not much to do but JUST KEEP SWIMMING. Felt like the last leg just took freaking FOREVER and the shore just kept getting further and further away. Really no surf at all and very little current this year. FINALLY the swim exit WOOHOO

What would you do differently?:

Not get kicked not be sick. Swim more. I was behind on swim training this year. I got what I trained for. I lost a few minutes when I stopped to help that lady but I don't regret it.
Transition 1
  • 10m 3s
Comments:

T1 Run up the beach and get 1/2 the wetsuit off, lay down for stripping. Went into/under the shower and rinsed as best I could. Saw my mom dad Wendi and Jeff on the way to transition. Got my bag easily and into the changing room. I LOVE that this is inside. I will take a minute or 2 more in transition in exchage for a well lit warm dry place to change any day. I didn't have a helper which I am fine with and I just found an empty space on the floor to sit and do my thing. I had and uncrustable but only had few bites and threw it off in transition. Someone handed me my bike and I saw pumpkin at the bike exit. He is kind easy to spot being 6'3" :)

Nothing. Considering how far you have to go in T1 I am good with this.
Bike
  • 7h 02m 11s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike: Wow. I think this is probably my worst bike experience in a race ever.
Soul crushing
Demoralizing
Devasting
WIND

Just not my day. Started out OK. Felt like it was a little head windy along front beach road but nothing too exciting. I was getting passed like crazy which was a new experience for me. I KNEW I had to be conservative because of feeling like pooh and its along day. We turned onto route 79 and up over the bridge. My speed was still WAY down over what I usually hold. Now it was even more headwindy. Pounded into that until the turn onto route 20. Now the wind is even worse. AWESOME.

I was drinking my accelerade but the problem with the cold medicine is that it compeltey takes my appetite away. The licorace seemed compeltely unappetizing but a forced a few pieces down. I refilled the aerobottle and figured I could get calories from that and I would deal with solids when I needed to. I started taking bananas at almost every aide station....which my bike is now covered with. ICK. We turned off of route 20 and FINALLY we were blessed with a bit of tail wind. That was short lived until the next turn.

I was getting passed like crazy. I NEVER get passed like that. I was just thinking WTF is wrong with me? I stopped and got some water to top off the accelerade and checked my back tire. Nope nothing wrong I just suck today. OK Off I go again. Eventually it stopped being a pass Sue fest but people just were not chatty this year. Every once in a while someone would comment about how the wind sucked but otherwise not too much.

The first out and back was horrible as usual. KA-thunk KA thunk KA thunk every 5-10 feet for 7-8 miles. Feels awesome. Made the turn and at least we had tail wind for the back part. Skipped special needs and at the 60 mile aide station they had porta potties with no lines so I stopped to pee. Off I go. We had some nice tailwind on the back portion of route 20 which was nice as its the only part of the course with any hills. Around mile 80 I started to feel a saddle sore. My neck and upper back and neck were sore but I could not really sit up out of aero too much because it hurt my wrist.

I was kind of cold all day. Not as bad as last year but I was just feeling lousy. Kept up with the accelerade and bananas and some licorace. Took some electrolytes and when my accelerade was gone I switched to water. Was really having to force myself to eat. Drinking was going OK I probably under ate on the bike

Back onto 79 and no more tailwind. The second out and back the road is at least good, more soul crushing wind. Awesome. Back onto 79 and up and over the bridge. Honestly I was so tired and my legs, esp my right hamstring, were so upset I was not even sure I could pedal over the bridge but I made it up and over. Turn onto front beach road and I thought I would have a nice ride home but the wind had shifted and it was probably the worst headwind of the day the last 7 miles. Ouch about sums it up. Just made the best I could out of it and was never so happy to come into T2 and hand my bike off

Not be sick. Train more wind. I certainly have enough wind where I live to train in it.

Overall I'm not exactly sure why I was so pathetic on the bike this year.
Transition 2
  • 08m 37s
Comments:

T2 Got my bag easily and into the changing area. Jen (JLDiCarlo) was there and was my helper (THANK JEN) fairly unevetful. She filled my water bottle for me and I elected to go without more accelerade because I was just sick of sweet stuff at this point. I had an uncrustable and ate the whole thing as I was changing/walking. Socks and shoes on, hat on, long sleeved short around my waist. I really wanted to lay down and take a nap but Jen talked me out of it. Seriously have never felt so tired in a race before. I took anohter aleve cold and sinus. Walked out of transition and My parents, their friends, Pumpkin, Wendi and Jeff were on the hill between the condos and transiition..............made a pit stop and off I went. They met me near the run start and I got some much needed hugs and kisses.

Nothing. This went well esp as my porta potty stop is included in this time. I needed the uncrustable.
Run
  • 7h 06m 53s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 16m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Run: walked out of transition and had great plans for this run. Tried my 3:1 thing but it felt like I had been stabbed in the hamstring. Made the first mile in 13 minutes or so. I threw the water bottle off quickly. I had some cliff shot blocks with me and figured since I got 220 calories in the uncrustable I'd be OK for a while. I took coke at almost every aide station but there is not too much in those cups. Went thru the crazy girltown area.

Started a haphazard run:walk of I will run to the trash can, I will walk to the speed bump, I will run to the sign, I will walk to that driveway. This actually worked surprisingly well and I was maintaining consistent 15 minute miles. I was pretty shocked by this but happy. I couldn't breathe very well when I was running. Pat passed me around mile 3 and we walked together a bit. They re-routed the run course a bit this year, but into the state park for the first time. Lots of people passing me but I just presumed they were fast people on their second loop.

I just kept plugging away at my run walk strategy. I was getting some blisters but its just skin. I will grow more :) Out of the park and back thru the neighborhoods. I saw Kathy and we gave each other big hugs. Kept taking coke but I don't recall eating anything on the first loop. I was looking forward to that diet coke in my SN bag. Finally to the turn around and SN.

Saw Wendi and Jeff right before SN. I was cold. I had put on my long sleeved shirt almost right away around mile 3. My wrist was really sore but at least it was not a run factor. As I was getting my things another racer asked if I had any spare electrolytes and I gave her mine but it took me WAY longer than it should have to open a zip lock between the sore wrist and the frozen fingers.

I took what I wanted and put on my jacket and head lamp. I made it to special needs before dark the last 3 years but not so today. Seriously windbreakers are the MOST BRILLIANT THING EVER!!!! I stopped to chat with Wendi and Jeff. I enjoyed my diet coke continuing with my run walk pattern. I was warmer but the wind was taking its toll on me. Saw Kathy on her way back in from her first loop and we had more big hugs.

My hamstring had quieted but my left ankle/achiiles/heel/calf/blisters were quite unhappy. I found someone to walk with thru the state park. His pace was a bit faster than mine which was good for me. He ran off and I attempted to go back to my run walk pattern. I saw Kathy again and knew she would make the cutoff so that made me very happy. I ate a few grapes and about 1.5 cookies this loop. Also one shot block but it was too sweet and I threw the rest away. Kept up with the coke an dhad some water. Took chicken broth twice but hte second cup I got was cold it put me off it for the rest of the run.

As an aside number of times I got whipped in girl town = 2, bnumber of times I was called Sarah = 2 I had my Team RWB top on .......number of times people saw it and and yelled GO AIRFORCE = 3

With about 5.5 miles to go I had started cough ickiness up and my achilles was screaming at me. I stoped a couple times to stretch but between the 2 I just decided that potentially rupturing my achilles was not worth a faster finish time. I had plenty of time to finish and I just walked it in. I found someone to walk with the last 4.5 miles or so and we chatted about life and triathlon etc. As we came inot he finish he found his wife and peeled off. I saw Wendi and knew I had my sweet pumpkin waiting for me at the finish. I ran the last few 100 yards soaking up the finishline energy and high fiving anyone with a hand out. FINSIHED!!

Some poor volunteer tried to catch me but I had eyes on my pumpkin. Best. Hug. Ever. I can't tell you how much it meant to me to have him there with me this week. He held me up a bit and we did the finisher stuff. He got to be in my finisher photo with me. Found my mom and dad and everyone else. Pumpkin signed off of his finish line medical duties and Took me off for a massage. Long day. Painful day. Good day :)

NOT BE SICK. NOT GET INJURED. Run more
Post race
Warm down:

After I fouind everyone Pumpkin took me over to massaage and everyone else went inside. We limped back to the condo and I had a nice long HOT shower. Beer, french fries, chicken fingers (Thanks for cooking Wendi!) and some pizza too. Hugs from all. We were watching Kathy on the tracker and Jen went out to see her finish. Snuggles on the couch with Pmupkin

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1-Being sick. I was trying to deny it but I was sick. So much of IM is mental but I could not over come it. Made me tired, not wanting to eat and diffiuclt to breathe. I'm fortunate Iw as able to race. I know some others were not that lucky

2-Undertrained on the swim and the run. Itis what it is. I did the best I could but it was not all that great

3-Being cold. I thought I was dressed OK but the reality is I can't train in those temps where I live so its hard to prepare.

4-Emotional upheaval the week before the race

I probaby drastically under ate the whole day and under drank on the run but I don't think it negtively impacted my race. I had 6 servings of accelerde and lava salts powder on the bike which equals 1020 calories minus whatever I dropped on the ground. I took about 4-5 banana halves and had about 5-6 pieces of licorace on the bike. On the run I had about 6-8 grapes maybe a cookie and a half 1 shot block and coke. I was probably under 2000 calories for the day.

Event comments:

So many people to thank. I am such a lucky girl to have had so many people on the course cheering for me.

1-My sweet pumpkin. It meant so much to me to have him there to share this race. He did a great job as iron sherpa and it was significantly difficult for him to make this trip happen. I'm just pleased beyond words that he was able to make it and it was just amazing to have his support all weekend

2-My coach Will Kirousis of Tri-Hard coaching. Will and I have been on a now 6 year journey and he has seen me thru a lot. He works with me thru my sometimes difficult schedule and unruly body. Thanks Will for getting me to the finish yet again

3-My mom and dad. Another IM in the books. Here is hoping ofr good things for my mom in the near future but it was so great to be able to see them and give her a great big hug

4-Wendi, Jeff, Jen and all the other BTers out there cheering for me!!! You guys are the best and I appreciate all the support more than you can know

5-Team Red, White and Blue for letting me be a part of your special team even tho I am probably your slowest athlete. I saw several Team RWB people out on the course.

6-All my friends and family cheering for me virtually. Its a crazy thing this ironman. I appreciate all the well wishes and cheers. I'll be back to fight again next year. For the first timers I would highly suggest you NOT be sick during your race!!

Last updated: 2010-11-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:20:19 | 4224 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 30/
Overall: 1518/
Performance: Average
Suit: Full synergy
Course: 2 loop rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 10:03
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:02:11 | 112 miles | 15.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 54/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: One loop course thru northern Florida
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 08:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
07:06:53 | 26.2 miles | 16m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 78/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-11-08 1:04 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: Ironman Florida

2011-11-08 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3894343

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida

Friend, you are fierce and gentle all in one--it speaks so highly to your character how you tried to help that lady during the middle of your swim. That's simply amazing. 

As a friend, again, I cannot tell you how touched and personally inspired I am that you chose to race with and for Team RWB this year. I can assure you (truly!) that you are not are slowest athlete--and EVEN if you were--it doesn't matter. It's not about speed, it's about purpose, it's about using our struggles on the race course as a means of improving the very real and lasting struggles of wounded vets. Your contribution to that is no small thing and I am more grateful than I could possibly express. So let me say THANK YOU for racing with us. You have choices, and that you chose to join us is amazing. I'm so glad there were several others out there with you.

Great report on a tough day! ENJOY your off season, you've earned it. Another IM done--you're a rockstar!

2011-11-08 1:58 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Great race report Sue.  You stuck it out when many others would have quit.  Maybe one day we will do one of these crazy things together
2011-11-08 4:16 PM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah

Sue I am speechless after reading your race report!  2012 is going to be a good year!!!

Congrats again on Ironman number 5
2011-11-08 7:36 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Socks, it was great to finally meet you at the pre swim. I have been reading you posts for years and thinking of how great you are. Even better in person. Your struggles this year were numerous and you've come out the other end on top again! Hope that 2012 is much much better.
2011-11-08 7:59 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Wow. 

You overcame every obstacle thrown at you to train and show up for this race......then every obstacle in the midst of it.  Congratulations on finishing strong when so many would just throw in the towel.

2012 has to get better.

2011-11-08 8:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cool report and great job persevering, Ironman!
2011-11-09 7:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Gloucestershire, England

Wow - a lot going on !  Congratulations on staying tough to the end.  That was a full on experience reading the report - so goodness knows what it was like to race it !

Good to meet you briefly on the Thurs swim - hope 2012 is a better year for you

Adrian

2011-11-09 7:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Gloucestershire, England

Wow - a lot going on !  Congratulations on staying tough to the end.  That was a full on experience reading the report - so goodness knows what it was like to race it !

Good to meet you briefly on the Thurs swim - hope 2012 is a better year for you

Adrian

2011-11-09 9:37 AM

User image

Expert

What a great race report and congrats on finishing despite the issues and struggles you have had leading up to and during the race.  I'm glad that your mom and dad and pumpkin were able to make it to the race and be there to support you.  

I hope that your mom's treatment is successful, that your job improves and that you have a much better year next year with pumpkin by your side.

2011-11-09 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
You are one tough cookie!!! I love how you put the whole race in perspective, and the detail in your report. Next year will be SO FUN for you I am sure!

2011-11-09 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Center of My Universe
I really enjoyed your race report--such encouragement. Your Ironman spirit goes well beyond simply doing the distance. Well done!

Edited by TriFlorida 2011-11-09 9:04 PM
2011-11-09 9:50 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
You did awesome Sue! You missed the start of the Bama vs LSU game, but that was some good crack I was using. Tough conditions tell you more about yourself then perfect ones do. So glad I could be there through all 5 of your IMs.
2011-11-10 7:10 AM

Uxbridge

YAY SUE!!!! I cant believe you tried to reduce a shoulder whilst treading water...fantastic dos and true sportsmanship!!!!

Tough day for you, but you were relentless in your pursuit to finish. What a year, what a day! Congrats!

2011-11-10 8:20 AM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
You are the only person I know who would attempt to reduce a dislocated shoulder while both the patient and the doc are treading water! Your race report and your doctoring on the swim exemplify your truly generous and giving nature. I am glad that your family and soul mate were able to be there for your race and offer hugs when needed. Your ability to finish another IM despite the conditions and your own suffering is inspirational. It almost makes me want to try one....almost.
2011-11-10 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3896941

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
KOM - 2011-11-10 9:20 AM You are the only person I know who would attempt to reduce a dislocated shoulder while both the patient and the doc are treading water! Your race report and your doctoring on the swim exemplify your truly generous and giving nature. I am glad that your family and soul mate were able to be there for your race and offer hugs when needed. Your ability to finish another IM despite the conditions and your own suffering is inspirational. It almost makes me want to try one....almost.
DO IT DO IT........its mostly a matter of stubborn which I ahve a lot of

2011-11-10 9:05 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Congrats on ANOTHER IM finish IFD!

Glad I got to see you, help you, hang with you...and finally meet Pumpkin.

See you in Texas!

2011-11-10 2:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Great RR Sue and congrats on yet another IM finish!! You rock!!
2011-11-10 3:47 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Congrats Sue!  I loved reading your RR.  I'm so glad Pumpkin and your parents were able to make it. 
2011-11-12 4:41 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Way to hang tough out there. Congratulations Ironman!
2011-11-13 12:01 PM

User image

New user
Fayetteville

You fought through alot on this one, way to go strong! Some lady somewhere is saying great things about you helping her in the swim!

2011-11-13 3:20 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats Sue!

So happy that despite crappy year you kept your eye on the prize and were able to have fun IMFL weekend.

You are such a kind caring physician stopping in IM swim to try and get another athlete's shoulder back in place.

You are great friend and I always enjoy racing with you.

Very proud of your ability to keep at training despite so many obstacles.

Here's hoping 2012 is a much better year for racing and more!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed