World Triathlon Corporation
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 43m 17s
Overall Rank = 693/2439
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 142/419
Pre-race routine:

26 Week 6 Day Training Schedule/2 disciplines per day and off Monday.
Swim
  • 1h 17m 3s
  • 4156 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went quite well for me. I started in the middle of the pack and drafted the whole first lap. Started wide right and let the current drag me to the turn buoy. I didn't push the pace and just tried to keep in some free space to have a good swim. Some crowding at the turn buoys and an pair of full face goggles that gave me a headache were the only issues. I only saw jellyfish about 5 feet down well below my stroke depth.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really except that I am a slow swimmer and recognize this is an area that needs significant improvement.
Transition 1
  • 15m 22s
Comments:

This is a pitiful transition time. I took too long to put on a compression t, a bike jersey and some compression socks. Transition was crowded and tough to find room. Fumbled too much with a gps watch that I had trouble getting to work right.

Swim with the compression t and know my equipment.
Bike
  • 6h 00m 42s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.63 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was a challenge in that the wind was pretty steady whether head wind or unfavorable cross wind. Some of the roads were a bit rough but the course itself was pretty uneventful. Drafting was a big problem and you had to lay off because you didn't have enough to pass entire groups that were drafting. I had to really decide whether it was going to be rules or racing in some spots. I decided not to push the pace and stayed within my comfort zone anticipating a fast run. I probably could have pushed harder in a few areas instead of spinning when I had wind assistance.

I need hours and hours on the trainer. I am a 20mph rider on flats with no wind. I need to build leg muscle and endurance up during the off season.
Transition 2
  • 05m 16s
Comments:

This went okay. Just grabbed a race belt, hydration and slipped the shoes on and went. Stopped at the port-o-potties on the way out.

Volunteers were great!

No more hydration belt. Way to annoying. Just use the aid stations as my stomach seemed to handle the offerings.
Run
  • 4h 04m 54s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was very difficult for me. I am a decent distance runner and I had anticipated an 8 min/mi pace over the course. At about mile 2.5, a really bad stomach cramp set in that lasted on more than off until around mile 22. I struggled with that issue the entire run watching my HR sit way below where I knew I could be because of the pain. After mile 22, it subsided and I was able to push the pace and take the marathon back as best I could. I had a great time talking with other racers which made the run for me. The course itself was not bad at all. The locals were really great and I enjoyed the "girl zone" and the "santa stop" they had set up out there.

No more Amphipod hydration system as it's just too heavy. I ditched it a the first aid station and picked it up on the way in. I need to figure out why I cramped up so bad. I think it was the liquid breakfast-home made protein shake probably wasn't the wise choice with all of the potential air bubbles. I don't think it was the Infinit I mixed myself on the bike or the gels.
Post race
Warm down:

Mylar blanket and a fleece jacket. Ate some pizza and a few cups of decaf coffee after the posed finisher photo. I went back to the room intending to come out later but I crashed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pretty much natural stuff-wind and poor nutrition choice.

Event comments:

I like Panama City and I like the course for the most part. It's Florida and there's not much to see, really. I live two hours away where it's the same landscape. This was my first IM so I it was really a great race for me. It was a good day to become an Ironman and I will do many more Lord willing.

Race volunteers were exceptional! IM wouldn't be near as good without the dedicated volunteers.

Last updated: 2011-10-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:03 | 4156 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 247/419
Overall: 1247/2439
Performance: Average
First lap in about 35 minutes
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro
Course: Open ocean swim in the Gulf of Mexico.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 15:22
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
06:00:42 | 112 miles | 18.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 247/419
Overall: 1159/2439
3:05 for first half
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Prevailing issue was steady cross winds and some head winds with not much benefit after turn around. We got some help on the second half but not nearly as much as the fight on the first 56. Volunteers were on it. I only got water but hand offs were great each time. I find pointing at a volunteer works wonders.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:04:54 | 26.2 miles | 09m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 142/419
Overall: 693/2439
1:58 first half
Course: A nice flat course through residential ares which made the course enjoyable and otherwise bearable. Aid stations were well stocked.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes