World Triathlon Corporation
70'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 17m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived on Wed. and stayed at the Boardwalk Hotel, right at transition, which was nice. Rode the run course, drove the bike course so there were no suprises. As advertised both are pretty flat and all but 10 miles of the bike were good road. I was ill up until race time with GI trouble, but some pepto and tums got me right for race day. Ate begal and drank ensure before the swim.
Event warmup:

Topped off the tires and water. Added pretzels and more tums and pepto to the bento box and went back to lay down. Geared up right before the 6:30 call to arms and made my way to the beach. A beautiful calm GoM was waiting for us, earlier in teh week it was pretty choppy.
Swim
  • 1h 33m
  • 4156 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my 3rd IM but first with this many in the start, and washing machine realy does best discribe it. Kicked in teh chin, hit in the head and feet grab. But just kept movign forward and felt like i caught a draft. This time was actually very good for me and when i came out i was grateful for the pace and no jellyfish stings. there were a lot of jellyfish out by the turn bouys so there was no loitering!
What would you do differently?:

I was good with were i psotioned myself, right and more than 1/2 way back in the pack. Did not get swum over and eventually found clear water after the 2nd turn and on the 2nd lap.
Transition 1
  • 15m 18s
Comments:

I know this is a slow time, the room was packed and i wanted to make sure i got everything on and fitted, also made a comfort stop before gettgin the bike which accounts for 4-5 mins of this time.

Not eat the chicken soup at the Backporch restaunt at Pier Park.
Bike
  • 7h 20m
  • 112 miles
  • 15.27 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt the wind quiet a bit for 50 of the first 56 miles (from ENE 8-12mph) and let it bug me more than it should have. As many mentioned there was a lot of draft packs and i only saw the refs 2 times and no one get flagged or sit in the penalty box. Alas...
The aide stops were well run and the people were very good. Took it easier on the bike than i should have, Hr stayed low throughout. Traffic seemed well controled considering the course was open to all. Nutrition was good and was concerned about making the time cut offs before the day began so i call this ride a success, even if it was slow.

No fear pushing it on the return leg, had a tail wind but didn't take full advantage.
Transition 2
  • 12m 45s
Comments:

Bike catchers are cool. Took my time again to be ready for the run. Desided to make a 2nd comfort stop which added to the time.

see above about pre race meal....
Run
  • 5h 56m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Startted at an easy pace and just rolled along. I ran the whole mary, pausing only to grab coke, broth or pretzels.. Pace was slow but I again was worried about bonking. For the first time ever i passed people on the 2nd loop and just missed a negative split by 2 mins.

feel more confident and strat off a bit faster. I missed a lot of training this year and this race was 90 mins slower than my previous 2 IM's but i was pleased with the overall results. It was nice to finish upright and i really did enjoy the day.
Post race
Warm down:

pictures with the family, pizza, showered up and came back to see the last few hours.. very good experience.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

fear of failure.

Event comments:

I could not really sleep in much and when i looked out at 6am and saw people lining up for the IM store and to register for 2013 i was a bit stunned. In hindsight i should have gotten in line for the IM store, nearly all teh 'finisher' gear was gone by 930-10am

Last updated: 2011-11-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:33:00 | 4156 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: 2 loop, rectangle, wade in start. some current right to left.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 15:18
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:20:00 | 112 miles | 15.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Flat course, 90% good roads. single loop with 2 out and backs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 12:45
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal