United States
Ironman North America
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 23m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early and downed a vanilla Muscle Milk and a cup of coffee. I had to get things cycled out before the long day. I double checked my SN bags again and just rested in the condo with Alan, Jennifer and Martin as everyone slowly emerged from their slumber. At transition, we stayed in T in warmups to stay warm. Shortly we sprayed down and bodyglided up and slipped on the wetsuits and double socks on the feet to keep warm.
Event warmup:

We stood on the boardwalk for a bit then finally worked our way into the beach. The sand was really cold but the double layer socks we wore helped cut that bite. Jennifer eventually caved and wanted to get in the water. I followed shortly and swam out a good 100 to warmup and get the initial bite of the water out of my system and spiked and lowered my heartrate. Hopped back out and shivered over the timing mat into the mass corral. Lined up somewhat front of BOP.
Swim
  • 1h 32m 51s
  • 4156 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

The start was kick ass just to watch as the water slowly transformed into a churning machine. We slowly made our way into the knee high water and gave a few dolphin leaps and off I went. People really wanted to walk until they could not touch and I passed many of them.I was way right of the course because I knew the current would kick us over. I swam really slow and kept my steady pace to not have to stop or lose breath. There were a few jelly fish in the water but nothing too menacing so I ignored them. I had a great line to the 1st turn buoy. People insisted on popping up to pause at the turn buoy but I avoided them as I was a bit wider than the closest line. I tried to use that to my advantage and put some hard effort to pick up pace and catch the next turn ahead of all of them. Unfortunately, I got off course and ended up way right and I had to swim back to make the turn to go in. By the time I passed the buoy, the rest of those pausers had caught up again. So I found some tiny bubbles and stayed in them to get my draft in. The swimmer in front of me was pacing well for me. She was not slow but faster than my comfort strokes, so I had to give a lil harder to keep up. I started to see the sea floor get closer and the water also got colder the shallower we got. I saw people beginning to stand up and wade into shore, but I kept swimming. Again I passed a few more early risers and I dolphin leaped into shore and popped up to run my 1st loop. On my trot in and through, I saw Jennifer's sister screaming out- I gave a "hang loose" hand to her. I had stashed a Gu Roctane in my suit between my chest and wetsuit I squirted that down and snagged a water on the way back to the water. I decided to not swim the angle out to the 1st site buoy and chose to run way right again to swim straight out to the turn. I got weird looks as I trotted past the lifeguards and spectators. Back into the water I went. I was calm and having fun! Really! I got back into my rhythm and was making my way out again. It was at this point that I noticed a lot more jellies and one massive Pink Meanie off to my left so I had to go even more wider to get away. I could still see the bottom of the ocean and was 15ish feet above and that's when I shat myself. A black tipped shark loomed into view right below me. It was doing those aggressive turns right below me and I'm sure my erratic stroke didnt calm it down. I was 4-stroking it and gasping for breath because I didn't want to lose site of that beast. It was HUGE and I got a sick feeling inside me. I glanced up and saw a kayak near by. I swam over and it was a Navy SEAL on it...I'm all "dood OMG there's a huge f'ing shark right below us!!!". He looked over at me and said "nah...it won't bother you...". I said screw this and began a line directly left back into the pack of swimmers because I was swimming solo in my strategic line out at the right. I felt the draft take me as I got back in the packs. The shark made its way into the darker green depths and I never saw it again. I wanted to point it out to people but I'm sure no one gave a damn. So I continued swimming. I made sure not to make any of the same mistakes and had 2 perfect turns to make my way back into shore. I began a hard press to get back in and began making some good ground with my powering strokes. My poor sighting got the best of me again. I was swimming the current, which I planned would speed me past faster and I looked up and it had pulled me waaaay right of the finishing mat. Ugh! I lost a lot of time but I made my way back on course swimming partly against the current into the shallows. Up I popped and suddenly this swim was over!
What would you do differently?:

Sight more often, especially when I'm swimming hard.
Transition 1
  • 08m 4s
Comments:

I had a quick debate with myself if I should use the wetsuit strippers, because I saw people getting sand all over them laying down. bah! I laid down and *~whooop~* I was out of my suit and pulled off the ground back to my feet in a flash...and yes I was covered in sand! I trotted through the showers and rinsed as best I could and I made my way into the change tent. Holy chaos! There were naked asses and crap everywhere! Some vol guided me over to a lane and told me to go to the end...as I made my way through the skin, I found an open spot on the floor and just did my change there. I didn't change clothes as I was wearing a tri suit but I still had to lube, shoe and helmet up. This was simple enough.
Bike
  • 6h 20m 14s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.67 mile/hr
Comments:

I was upset one my bike was handed to me. I had an awful swim and needed to make up for it, yet not die on the bike to save it for the run. I had not seen Jennifer or Alan, and I thought Martin was certainly finished waaay before me.

I small ringed it to get the chill out of my body and to tell the legs this is my movement for the next few hours. There were some gusts going out on and I handled them fairly well. I changed into the big ring once we got on Rt79 and I settled in for a light hammer. I began passing people like I should...woot! I made it to the bridge and I saw slowness forming. So I thought, heh...no one can climb. So I wanted to put all the doubt I could in their minds and stayed seated but pumped the legs into a very spirited climb. People were watching as I zoomed past. I heard a "scottie!!" and saw Jennifer on the inside cranking up the steep. DAMN she beat me out of the water, I thought! I hammered on. There was wind in the face the whole ride. At some stretches it was ridiculous. I was on my 1st out and back to the SN bags and literally got seat raped by my bike...I was in pain in the crotch. The thin pad of my tri suit wasn't enough for the constant pounding I got on that rough road. As I neared the end I saw Alan coming the other way. Ugh...be beat me out of the water too! I turnaround and paused at my SN bag. I chugged a Redbull swapped my bottles and grabbed additional food. I heard my name get shouted and saw Brian roll by on his bright red Cervelo. I gave chase to both. I made it to the back stretch and was still holding back, as my friend Carol's words rattled through my head "save it for the wall, stick to your plan". I knew I could catch them, but I didn't want to do anything stupid. I kept at my pace, but just a bit harder as a compromise. I noticed that in the flats people were passing me but in the hills I would pass them. Finally, on our return there was a break in the wind and I could actually maintain some good speed. At mile 70 I had to pee like a mad man so I stopped at an aid station- had to wait for 2 people. On the return back towards town, there was another out and back. This was to gauge what I should do in terms of catching Alan or not. I saw him earlier than anticipated so I knew I wouldn't catch him. We got back on 79 and began the climb up the bridge. Again I passed people. One rider in particular was wheel sucking me. I gave a comment to him and was like "hey nice 4 bike lengths, wanna back off?" and he responded with "make me". I didn't believe it! So on the downhill I dropped it like it was hot, got up to about 28mph and held it for a bit. He eventually leached onto another rider I had passed. The last few miles back to T were mind numbing. My pace seriously dropped to like 15mph because the wind was so strong. I began to hammer to keep my speed up. There was also a female rider I was trying to catch ahead of me but she must have been the daughter Thor as she was nailing the ride good! Make my way to T and kept the shoes on my feet (which felt odd) for the dismount.
Transition 2
  • 07m 44s
Comments:

I got to the change tent and saw Brian there. I plopped into a seat next to him. I was exhausted from that wind. He was taping up and about to leave. I did my thing got my visor on and grabbed some nutrition. I gave chase a lil bit after Brian had left. My legs were like jello!
Run
  • 5h 14m 9s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I was in trouble. I couldn't run. My legs were spent and I had no energy. I knew I had done way too much at the end of the bike and I was paying for it now. I decided to just walk to loosen up. I saw some female pros running by shortly into the neighborhoods. Damn I'm slow. I got passed by Maria and she gave a smile as I knew she was in her comfort. I began to run 12s and walk the aids. this continued for a while. I finally was able to get some 10s on the Garmin. My run was back but, the damage was done- Alan was too far up and I know Brian is a runner, so I didn't think I was going to catch them. I made my way to the park and was fluxing 11s and 10s, but still walking the aids. On the way out of the park, I held my runs and didn't have to stop and walk any more. (I did stop to drink as I'll choke if I drink and run). The town support was sweet and all the costumes and aid help was amazing and kept me in good spirits. I even stopped to get multiple booty spanks in the "Girl Zone"! I made a turn back into the neighborhoods and I saw Jennifer walking. She saw me and went straight to tears. She came over and was saying how her leg hurt and couldn't run. I just kept repeating to her "Just walk...you have time!". I thought walking was better than running and not able to complete the race. She regathered and was on her way. At about mile 10-11 I saw Alan on his way back out...dammit! I also saw Martin finally! I didn't ask him what was up as I just wanted to know if he was good and I got a decent smile out of him so I knew he was in good spirits. I made the turnaround and got my run SN bag. I grabbed a wet nap and wiped myself down- felt glorious! I grabbed my snickers and red bull and began walking and consuming. Somehow I ended up into a group photo with some people wearing all Blue shirts...fun! Almost everyone I passed said "redbull gives you wings"- I wanted to start smacking people. I started my trot again and I felt good on the way back out to the park. I saw Alan just outside the park this time. I thought...if I went hard I bet I could get him on the way back. My trot turned into a job and then into a run. I held it and felt fine still. It was dark now and I was passing shufflers left and right. I looked down and I was doing 8:30s!! I don't know how long I should hold it as I didn't want to have a run melt down. I decided I'd run the park like this and then continue my jog on the way back to the finish. I maintained and got another negative comment from another runner. Some random guy I passed shouted aggressively "Showoff!". I'm sure he was being sincere and kept running.

On the way back in I saw Jennifer around mile 23. She was in good spirits and I asked how far off was Alan- she said a couple miles. Ugh, not catching him I thought. Off she went. I continued on and soon saw Martin again. He looked pretty steady on his shuffle. We fist bumped and continued on. I made it to the last stretch and met up with this guy from Jacksonville running his 1st IM too. We both had decent pace and just ran in together.

We made the final turn and our paces both jumped up and we were trucking in. I slowed up and told him to go get his finish. As he hauled on down the shoot. I decided to play with the crowd and spread my arms to "land my plane" as I zig zagged the chute with arms out. The entire crowd responded with a "WOOOOoooOOOOOOOOOooo" that was awesome. I made my way through the final arch and saw the finish line ahead. It was lit up like a wall of lights, and never looked more amazing. I slowed my role and enjoyed my stroll across.

Linda, met me at the finish with a huge smile as a Catcher and gave a warming congrats!

Ironman complete. Now exhale...
Post race
Warm down:

I walked over to the food tent and saw Alan sitting there. We dominated some pizza together. I felt pretty good, actually too good. I feel like I reserved too much and that I could do much better. I loved my finish and the experience, don't get me wrong but I know I got better game than what I put forth. I got a massage and waited for the others to come in as I cheered them on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I was too scared to ride like I wanted to in the race. So many people told me to be aware of your ride and not go too hard. But I think I could have mid 5'ed the bike and still been able to do the same run.

Last updated: 2011-01-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:32:51 | 4156 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: Sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:04
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:20:14 | 112 miles | 17.67 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 07:44
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:14:09 | 26.2 miles | 11m 59s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-11-08 9:05 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh
Subject: Ironman Florida

2011-11-08 11:04 PM
in reply to: #3895063

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida
First! You are an Ironman! Nice shark tale!
2011-11-09 6:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Center of My Universe
I'm glad I didn't see that shark! Great race, well done!
2011-11-09 8:14 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Congrats IRONMAN.  Gotta wonder why that shark didn't take a Scottie Bar though?  Would have made a more challanging day don't you think.  Great report Scottie!  Next?
2011-11-10 8:02 AM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC

Awesome job Scottie.  Sounds like you definitely had fun with it, and you raced it on your terms.  Looks like all systems were going well, don't worry about those first few miles off the bike.  That you hung in there and negative split is impressive!

2011-11-10 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

AWESOME job out there Scottie!  Was so good to see some familiar faces on the the course.

Glad I didn't see the shark!!!  I'm pretty sure I would have done like you did; get over the initial shock and just keep swimming.

WELL DONE IRONMAN!!!

2011-11-10 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, NC
So incredibly proud of you!!!
2011-11-10 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3896904

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.

Dude, you crack me up! Very entertaining report. Really nice job out there! I am seriously impressed by how you, Jen, Maria and Alan handled this! Awesome!

This is classic: "There was also a female rider I was trying to catch ahead of me but she must have been the daughter Thor as she was nailing the ride good!

2011-11-10 6:24 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Awesome first ironman! I'm so proud of you, batting sharks, headwind and booty girl zones. Do they have a booty boy zone too? huh? Very well executed race!
2011-11-10 9:02 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Great race and RR!  Well done!
2011-11-11 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Wilmington
you Rocked it bro . Congrats  IRONMAN 

2011-11-11 8:36 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great job.  I can't believe you saw a SHARK!!! OMG!!!  Crazy.  Congratulations!!
2011-11-11 8:50 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

FIghting a headwind that long would deflate anyone.  Great job pushing through it.  Sorry there were jerks out there for you to encounter. Glad you didn't let them ruin your day.  YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!    Tatoo time??  

Isn't it interesting to see how many of the NC crew have become Ironmen in these past few years?  Oh how far we've come.  We should all get together and swap IM stories.

2011-11-13 10:35 AM

User image

New user
Fayetteville
Awesome job, Im glad I didnt see that shark. Maria passed me too, way back on the bike.
2011-11-13 8:16 PM

User image

Bronze member

Loved your race report. That was fun to read. Congratulations on your race!

2011-12-08 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3900643

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed