Ironman North America
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 25m 3s
Overall Rank = 170/2921
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 22/243
Pre-race routine:

We decided to drive down on Wednesday to Fort Walton Beach to ensure that Thursday would be nice & relaxed with only a one hour drive over to Panama City Beach (PCB) for check-in and athlete meeting.

Thursday:
Slept in, and then slowly make our way over to PCB. Arrived between 1-2 pm, checked in which took longer than I thought not because of the line, but the several steps in the check-in process. Nonetheless, the process was easy and then we checked out the expo. The check out line at the expo was insane long, so I made a list for Stephanie to get while the race was going on. I figured that would be when the line would be the shortest. I knew I did not want to be on my feet for a prolonged period of time at the expo, so we headed over to Pineapple Willy�s for lunch.

I met Derek at the athlete Dinner at 6 pm. Figured that would give us plenty of time to get in, eat, and then transition straight into the athlete meeting which was to start at 7:30 pm. Well, when we arrived the line was out the door; however, it did move quickly. The food was buffet style with �ok� food. After fixing out plates, we realized that there was a separate long line for drinks. Derek took the plates to find a place to sit, and I stood in line for drinks. I think the athlete dinner is worth attending simply because of the various videos they play on the jumbo screen. They definitely serve the purpose of getting everyone pumped up. The entertainment on stage started to run long with oldest racer, youngest racer, three people have done IMFL all 13 years since inception, married couples, etc., etc. Finally, the athlete meeting started, and the gloom and doom of the penalty box, rules, blah, blah, blah. If you don�t know the rule by the time you are doing an ironman, then shame on you.

The one interesting rule change was that drafting at IMFL is 7 meters or 4 bike lengths, compared to 3 bike lengths in all other races I have done. You also have 20 (vs 15 seconds) to complete your pass once you entered into the draft passing zoned.

Friday:
Again, we took our time getting up and moving. We met Derek and my parents for breakfast at some converted railcar. The food was good, but the most entertaining part was watching all the bikes riding by on the road, or people out running all over the place. Talk about eating the IM pasta right before your eyes. I understand that short rides/runs are good to keep you sharp, but these people were out for longer rides. I even talked to one guy that said he saw people out around the 50 mile marker on their bikes as he drove the course just days before the race.

After breakfast/lunch I finished up my gear bags and re-pumped my tires before heading over to bike check-in. I thought it was pretty cool that they checked your bracelet to your bike numbers, and then took a picture of your bike before racking. I was checking out my rack position, and saw a guy that looked like �The Cube� (well, what I thought he looked like). I walked over to him and asked if he was The Cube. It was! I told him who I was, and said hello, but he was busy checking bikes so I did not want to bother him. After checking in my bike, we went over to the expo picked up a IMFL sticker, glass, and bike jersey. After standing in line for a bit I wanted to get off of my feet, so we headed to the closes Starbucks for a coffee.

After coffee, we headed back to the hotel to chill before meeting my parents, Derek, Carey, Tristin for dinner at Hammer-Heads. We ate hardy, before kicking it back to the hotel for my 8-8:30 bed time.

Event warmup:

Warm up, HA, I have 140.6 miles to warm up. It was a chilly morning, so after loading our (Derek & I) nutrition we found a spot to sit down. As the time grew closer, we put on our wetsuits and then headed down to the beach.

The sand was cold, but I was comfortable in the wetsuit. The sun had just started to rise to my left. It was not long before they were calling for the pro-start. The cannon sounded and the pro�s were off. We now had 10 minutes to kill before it would be our time. Ten minutes can either seem like an eternity, or go by in a blink of an eye. Today, it went by in a blink of an eye. Before I knew it, we received the call for 1:30.

Derek and I lined up to the right to allow the current, which was pushing right to left, to put us right on the buoy line. 30 seconds, I wished Derek good luck and reset my goggles.

10 seconds��
I looked around at all the green & pink caps, just shy of 3,000 racers, and I knew it was about to be war. A smile ran across my face.
5 seconds��
It was time to eat, or be eaten. This rule is true for any triathlon swim, but especially true for an ironman swim. You either swim like a shark, or you will be food for the sharks. The choice is up to you, but you must make your choice before entering the water.
Cannon Sounds��BANG
Enter the food chain

Swim
  • 1h 12m 58s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

The cannon sounded, and we were off. It was a very short run into the water into about thigh deep water, and then a dive in. It was war from the get-go, people on each side, hands on the feet in front of me, and people swimming on my feet or across them. It was survival of the fittest with heads up swimming, and what I consider war swimming. Strong strokes, always keeping an arm in front to protect my face. Holding my ground with every stroke, and kicking strong (which is a first for me  ). This went on for a solid 300 meters, then I broke free into some free space. It was great to relax, stair at the sandy bottom (which looked like I was not moving), and find my stroke. I thought about Doug (Brown Dog), and how he even splits a 1:20 on every course. That was my goal today, so I thought about him often. My only focus was my technique, or lack there of, and the split-second pause at the end of every glide.

My open space lasted a good 250-300 meters, and then it was back to war. This time it was more aggressive. People were everywhere, and it was a fight to not be pushed under from behind. This lasted about 100 meters, and I broke free again. Not completely free space, but I had space. I could tell I was being sucked along in a natural draft from all the swimmers, as the buoys were flying by. Plus, the positioning was working as I was closing on the buoy line. I was following Phat’s advice in sighting people, not buoys and it was working, big time. Next thing I know I stop the red turn buoy. I spotted several times, since I could not believe I was already on top of it. Swung wide, and lengthen my glide to use the current as much as possible to the next turn buoy.

I made the next turn and started seeing jelly-fish deep beneath me in the water. No worries, I had space and started to spot off the corner of the tall building where the exit to the swim was. There was a little contact here and there, but nothing over-whelming until I swam up on some guys right. I took an elbow to the jaw. Son-of-a-……., then I stuck my hand into a jelly-fish. Hmm, that took my mind off the elbow and that kind of burns, and then one hit me in the jaw to neck area. Now that freaking burns, holy crap. No worries, refocus and headed towards the exit. This was one of the coolest parts of the swim. As soon as people could touch, they would stand up. I continued to swim until it was shallow or about knee deep. It was these 50+ yards that made me feel like I was flying.

Popped up, and per Phat (again) quickly walked the swim loop turn around. No running to keep the HR in check, and low, check…it worked. I glanced up at the clock and saw 44:XX, so I knew that meant my first lap was 34:XX. I was six minutes ahead of plan; another smile ran across my face.

Back out for lap two which was completely uneventful with the except of swimming between all of the people that were walking the sandbar. You would think you would take the hit when a swimmer comes by like a rocket as you walk the sandbar, but they didn’t. Back out, around, and return. Basically, in my own space the entire second lap focusing on smooth strokes.

Perfect sighting off the tall building, and popped up to finish the swim. Time check of 1:12:XX. I will take it!

What would you do differently?:

Swim faster?
Transition 1
  • 08m 19s
Comments:

Exited the water, and headed up to the strippers. One thing I learned from the body markers this morning was to by-pass the first strippers (where lines were forming), and head to the last ones. I quickly found two strippers open and grabbed one specifically. Both of the strippers jumped to action with each stripper grabbing a leg and pulling. I popped up and told both of them that they were rockstars! The guy told me good luck, and I was off up through the showers.

As I entered the “tunnel” to get my T1 bag I ran into MikeyBB. I yelled to him, and he turned, told me good luck, and gave me a fist pound. At that point, it was our turn to yell out bag numbers. This process took all about 10 seconds, and we were off.

Phat had given me a tip to not go into the changing area, but change at the morning bag area. Unfortunately, they were forcing us to go into the changing area, so I did not see how I could pull that off. I headed into the area, and saw one guy against the wall changing. There was a volunteer directing men to the right, woman straight. I pointed to the open spot on the wall, and said to him “no nudity, can I change there?” He gave me a quick yes, and I jumped to action. I threw the arm warmers on quickly, helmet, glasses, soaks, shoes. The only thing that was given me issues were my gloves. They did not want to slide on my hands, so I got them mainly on, shoved my wetsuit in the back and took off.

Ironman T1 cracks me up, since there is ALWAYS at least one dude that is completely nude. As I rounded the corner, there was my completely naked guy. I laughed to myself, and headed to the door. Paused at the door to throw my T1 bag in the pile, and then off to grab my bike.

I had a bad rack position, all the way in the back. Thus, I had to run the full length of transition to the back corner, grab my bike, and then the full length back to the mount line.

Hurry up
Bike
  • 5h 23m 57s
  • 112 miles
  • 20.74 mile/hr
Comments:

The mount line is not really a mount line, since there were so many people. We all continued to run a good 20-30 yards past it before mounting. Mounted up and rolled out. My targets were to go super easy for the first hour, easy for the second hour, and then to steady the rest. Because I had a tail wind the first 5 miles I switched to easy. Forget the just-ride-along-pace. I started easy, and kept it easy for the 50 miles. The first 50 miles were basically flat with one bridge crossing at mile maker 11. There was a headwind the entire first 55 miles, so keeping it easy was a great call not to eat the legs in the teeth of the wind.

Drafting: Was there drafting, yes. Was it avoidable, no. I say no, because the only way it could be avoided is if you were hammering the entire ride. Basically, as soon as you would break the front wheel of the individual that you are passing, the 20 second clock would restart immediately. This would continue on, and on, and on until you imploded. Thus, it is not really 100% avoidable in the first 60 miles. You did your best not to draft, and pushed to pass when it was necessary. Were there pelotons, yes. Were there people in the penalty box, yes. That being said, I also witnessed the USAT officials warn riders, give evil eyes, give hand signal warns, and if all else failed would provide the penalty.

Lets see….recap: first 50 miles, are flat, headwind, bridge at mile 11, blah.

At mile marker 50 you pass a larger cheering section, and begin the first out and back. I had just made the mistake of refilling my aero bottle before starting this section. The out and back is rough, very rough. No pot hole rough, perhaps bumps, dips, something else. I could not put my finger on why it was so rough, but I spilled half of that aero bottle on me. That sucked because is was my red Gatorade bottle, so now I was covered in sticky red. Anyway, the headwind continued until the turnaround. Tight turn, and then back up the road with a tailwind push. Timing mat at 55 miles, and at this moment I switched from easy to steady. I figured the tailwind would aid in getting me in gear, it did. Blasted back to the turn, and the cheering section and I could already tell the second half was going to be a different game.

I hung a right at mile 60, and the rollers started. Enter the food chain. Rollers & hills are my world. I can pretend to be a shark in the water, but I AM a shark on the bike. I settled into a steady effort, and I was flying. I was punishing the riders around me. I presume they blew up in the first 60 miles and wind. I was passing groups of riders on each hill. I felt great, nice and easy, and easier than on my trainer. No pushing, just steady effort. The field was spreading out at this point.

I zipped to the second out & back at mile mark 91.68, and dispatched it quickly. Back to the main road and roared back in. Back over the bridge at mile marker 101, and continued to go until I reached Front Beach Road. Front beach road has a solid headwind, knocked the speed back down into the 16-17 mph range. I decided to take it easy with little pushing finding my spacing to enter T2

Go faster. I had plenty in the gas tank, so just need to push a bit harder.
Transition 2
  • 06m
Comments:

I had received confirmation while waiting for the swim start that we could leave our shoes clipped to the bike for T2. The chute to T2 was long, flat, and lined with people so you know what is coming. I brought up my speed and side-mounted early, so I could roll to the dismount line trying to show off the best I could since everyone else was stopping to dismount.

The volunteers were grabbing bikes left and right from the riders. Everyone was full, but one volunteer had an open hand and looked at me. I rolled my bike to her, and took off to grab my bag.

I remembered where my bag was located, so I ran straight there and grabbed my bag. I ran into the changing area, and headed to one of the many open seats. The guy next to me had a volunteer helping him. Apparently, I did not look like I needed any help, since no one came up to help. No big deal, since I was moving at my own speed. I changed over to run gear, and then out the door down to the port-a-potties.

Now it was time for the race to start…….the marathon.

Hurry up
Run
  • 3h 33m 49s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I took off out of transition and cruised down the road. I was excited to see everyone dressed up, and aid stations, etc., etc., on the course. I found a comfortable cruising speed, and pressed on. Saw my parents, Carey, and T around the one mile marker, and then came upon the house wives dressed up. WOW, the one dressed like cat woman was freaking HOT. I turned to the guy I was passing and said, I don’t know about you, but that is motivation to get back here. He laughed, and I continued on.

I thanked everyone out on the course to cheer us on, the blue/purple wing aid station, the Christmas aid station, and the countless hordes of volunteers that were out of this world in getting us what we needed. Thank you!

I latched on to a guy that was pushing a solid but comfortable pace. We were running together well, but he was slowing at every aid station. Afterwards he would catch back up, but I could already tell I would be alone shortly. He lasted until around the six mile marker, and then dropped off. I was alone now, drifting through the moon landscape that was known as the state park. Not really sure why I considered it a moon landscape, since there was bushes, trees, whatever, but that is what stuck in my mind. Rounded park, and around to the Ford aid/cheer station with five/six hot girls dancing/cheering us on with music blasting. It was good times, but I lost focus on the way back as my pace slowed to 8:20/mile.

Made my way back to the turn around past my parents, Carey, and T, the hot house wives, etc., and made the turn. Back out for the second lap. The out on lap two was pretty uneventful, until the state park. I had just passed the six mile maker and a guy came out of the restroom. He started running with me, and we chatted. He was on his first lap, and he apparently was feeling pretty good as he was trying to push the pace. It was a pleasant conversation for about a half mile, and then he faded. I pushed on until I reached the Ford aid/cheering station, and noticed that they had dwindled to two girls. I can not remember the song they were playing , but it pumped me up. I remember seeing the 20 mile marker, and thinking and saying alound that I only had a 10K left. I started picking up my pace. I started to push. I worked my way from memorable aid station, cheering section, all the way in. Around the 1.5 mile marker I started to press and start my kick to the finish. I continued to press the pace, and push harder and harder. I reached the turn around for the first lap turn around, and hammered through it. I then realized that Alvin’s Island was still a .25 mile away, and I knew it was an additional half mile to the finish line. I was afraid that I had started my kick too early, but the hell with it. I continued to push. Before I knew it, I was in the finishing chute, and heading through the crowds. Reached the finish line, threw up my pose, and it was done.

Not much
Post race
Warm down:

I came across the line, in the same finishing pose as B2B. I will have to come up with a different finishing pose (and outfit) for the next IM. But for IMFL I wanted the same pose. I knew my buddy was going to be a catcher, so I was looking for him. I did not see him, but another guy came up and grabbed me. He was great, he aided me to get my medal, shirt, hat, and a water. He also walked me over to get my finishers photo. Man, I wish I had more fun with it, but instead I put my hands on my hips. If I had had a few more minutes to regain my composure, I would have flexed, or acted like a dumbazz, or something. Oh well, I will know better next time. Before exiting the chute I made sure to get his name, Nate, I gave him a quick huge (which really threw him off guard), and then headed out.

My entire family (my wife and son, my parents, my in-laws Charlie, Sandy, and Kendal) met me at the finish exit. I grabbed Maximus and gave him a huge kiss. A quick photo of the three of us, and then we walked over to wait for Derek. I used several wet-wipes to clean up a bit, since I had carbopro/Gatoraide all over me. I cleaned up, loaded up the warm clothes and made the mistake of sitting down in a chair. I sate there for about two hours, and completely locked up. I was forced to watch Derek finish on the jumbo-tron, since I could not move fast enough.

Derek finished super strong with a 12:25:XX. We took a few quick photos, and then grabbed our gear. It was time for my post IM food staple……HOOTERS. Woo-Hoo! Everyone met up, drank beer, ate, and had a good time. I am full of energy at first, but run out of steam quickly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need more confidence in myself to push harder & faster. I have it within me, I just need to trust what is there.

Event comments:

The volunteers were amazing. I really can not say enough about how great they were. From the swim, transitions, bike, and run, they were all amazing the entire day.

Petty Complaints:
- PCB needs to finish the road construction before I return. It made navigation for my family difficult.
- Finisher T-shirt for 2011 kinda blows. I would rather receive one of the volunteer shirts.
- The medal is too busy. I was hoping for a simple round design, with Ironman Florida printed on it.

Other than that, I loved this race. Total quality from top to bottom, and I would recommend this race to anyone.

Race Results Overview:
- Gave up @ 20 minutes in the non-current swim compared to B2B
- Gave up time on both transitions, amount of time unknown since I am missing T1 at B2B.
- Shaved about 20 minutes off the bike
- Shaved about 8 minutes off the run
- Shaved 4:26 off my ironman PR at B2B
- 170 of 2,921 OA or top 5%
- 22 of 243 AG (that finished) or top 10% of AG

I love a solid PR, but I can go faster.

Last updated: 2010-11-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:12:58 | 3862 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 106/243
Overall: 915/2921
Performance: Good
SWIM SPLIT 1: 34:41 1:47/100m SWIM SPLIT 2: 38:17 1:58/100m
Suit: Zoot Zenth
Course: Large rectangle course, swam counter-clockwise, with a short beach run between laps over a timing mat. Sun raises on your left, but only effects sighting on second lap, mainly on the top end between the out and back.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:19
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:23:57 | 112 miles | 20.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 43/243
Overall: 342/2921
BIKE SPLIT 1: 55m 19.52 mph BIKE SPLIT 2: 95m 22.57 mph BIKE SPLIT 3: 112m 21.00 mph
Wind: Strong
Course: The bike course is a kit design with two out and backs. One located at mile 50 (5 miles out and back with the first timing mat at 55 right after the turn-around), and the second located at mile marker 91.68 (out & back was 2.88 miles each way). First 60 miles is mostly super flat with a bridge crossing at mile 11. The out & back between mile marker 50-60 was super rough road. Miles 60 – 95 were gentle rollers, bridge at mile 101, and then flat back in.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:33:49 | 26.2 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/243
Overall: 170/2921
RUN SPLIT 1: 5.75 mi 5.75 mi (46:21) 8:03/m RUN SPLIT 2: 13.1 mi 7.35 mi (1:01:16) 8:20/m RUN SPLIT 3: 18.4 mi 5.3 mi (43:18) 8:10/m RUN SPLIT 4: 26.2 mi 7.8 mi (1:02:54) 8:03/m
Course: The run course is a two loop affair with each loop being 13.1 miles. Several turns on the way out to the state park, and then back before heading out for the second lap.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-11-10 10:33 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Ironman Florida

2011-11-11 5:54 AM
in reply to: #3898017

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida
Great RR!

Congrats on your day - I think you raced it perfectly.
2011-11-11 6:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Gloucestershire, England

Great race - sounds like you executed your plan perefectly.  Congratulations on the PR.

Adrian

2011-11-11 7:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Center of My Universe
You put it down.....well done. Great race and great RR. I agree..the road construction needs to end. It's been going on for 4 years at least.
2011-11-11 7:46 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats!

Yep the big question is when will the construction be done? I thought race day it would be tough for spectators to get around especially less mobile folks or those with strollers.

2011-11-11 8:25 AM

User image

Congrats, dude, great race!

2011-11-11 8:34 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
WOW awesome race and holy fast running batman!!!  Congrats
2011-11-12 10:56 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Brian, very nice race. Your descriptions of the race were great and your attitude even better. Eat or be eaten. Nice! I can picture you on the bike, picking off cyclists left and right! Sounds like you had a great time racing! Great job!
2011-11-14 3:22 PM

User image

Elite
SE
BURSTING WITH PRIDE
2011-11-15 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3901750

User image

Master
Way to GO!  I like the eat or be eaten theory and I smiled to myself when I imagined you picking the other riders off on the bike.  : )
2011-11-16 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3902406

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA

What, no cannonballs?

Super strong race and a fantastic way to finish out an excellent 2011 race year.  Your consistency in training and racing is flat out impressive, you bring it everyday.

2011-11-17 6:39 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Amazing fast race. Congrats on a well done Ironman. Great way to stick to a plan!.
2011-11-19 9:46 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
Great race! Awesome report. Congrats!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed