General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help With Bike - Triple Crank or Compact? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-12 7:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison
Subject: Help With Bike - Triple Crank or Compact?

I apologize a head of time since I do not know very much about my bike.  I am learning, slowly.

I have a road bike with aerobars that's worked ok for me so far. It was a double crank on the front.  Last year I did my first HIM in Iowa so there wasn't a lot of hill climbing. Next year I am planning on doing Rev3 in WI Dells....and considerably more hills. A couple years ago I did the Horribly Hilly and almost died, ended up walking a lot of the hills,  not due to (mostly) to leg strength but I just ran out of gears.

I want to get more lower gears on my bike. From what I understand, swapping out to a triple crank would require more service work and parts (shifters???)  then putting in a compact crank.  Since I plan on only having this bike another year - would a compact crank be my best bet?  Will it make climbing hills a little easier??

Hopefully this made some sense. Any thoughts?

2011-11-13 7:19 AM
in reply to: #3899843

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Help With Bike - Triple Crank or Compact?

Here's my opinion....

I had a double 1990's trek with a 53/42 crank and 7 speeds on the back.  It sucked when riding in hilly areas.  I switched my wifes trek over from a triple to a compact double with 8 speeds in the back.  I now ride a triple with 8 speeds in the back.  The compact is by far much lighter than a triple and gives you almost as much gearing as a triple.  A triple is nicer if you have fewer gears in the back like 8.  If you have a double front derailure and doubleshifters I would switch to a compact due to cost.  If you have 8 speeds in the back, you may need to space out the outer ring with a thin shim because your 8 speed chain MAY rub a little on the 50 gear when in the 34 gear due to the chain being a little wider than a 9 or 10 speed chain.      

2011-11-13 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

The first question that needs to be asked is what cassette are you running on the rear.  They come in a ton of different combinations and since you are planning on getting rid of the ride soon I would start there.  That will be the cheapest solution.  If you aren't already riding a cassette with a 28 tooth large gear already, that is where I would start.  

Cassettes are described by the small and large teeth numbers.  For example, most bikes come from the manufacturer with an 12-25 or an 11-25.  Picking up three teeth on the rear cassette will make a huge difference.  Here is a good link to start some research......  http://www.cyclingsite.com/lists_articles/gearing_101.htm

2011-11-13 8:21 PM

User image

Regular
United States
couple of thoughts, from my own experience.

1. The horribly hilly has lots more climbing than the Rev3 will. I live on the course and have ridden these roads for several years. There will be some long climbs but not the worst the area has to offer.

2. Triple is hvy and will cost you more to get back on the road. the investment does not equal the return.

2. Compact crank is well worth the investment on a bike you plan to keep and ride for a few years. I have one on my Trek SC.

3. A cassette change is probably the best value while giving you more climbing gears.

just my two cents.
2011-11-14 2:29 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

I agree with what's above.  Best bang for the buck is a 12-27 cassette if you don't already have one.  Next, a compact double crank.  Last resort if that combo doesn't work for you, a triple.  With that said, if you aren't a strong cyclist, there is nothing wrong with going for the triple.  You will have to replace your shifter as well as the crank if you go that route, and probably also the rear derailleur.

For most people a compact crank is the right answer, IMHO.  I've been riding compacts since I got into tris and cycling, and with an 11-25 rear cassette I've got plenty of gears for climbing and don't spin out until almost 40 mph.  With a 12-27 you may find that you have plenty of gears as well.

2011-11-17 8:23 AM

User image

Regular
United States
There is a pretty good podcast on itunes (free) by Endurance Nation the covers this topic, titled "Ironman Gearing Come to Jesus Sermon" dated June 29, 2010".

2011-11-30 6:41 PM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
Compact and 12 - 27 on my wife's bike. Both relatively easy changes. I'd be surprised if you ran out of gears unless your bike climbs walls.
2011-12-06 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3900336

User image

Veteran
Mukwonago, WI
badgerintx - 2011-11-13 2:22 PM

The first question that needs to be asked is what cassette are you running on the rear.  They come in a ton of different combinations and since you are planning on getting rid of the ride soon I would start there.  That will be the cheapest solution.  If you aren't already riding a cassette with a 28 tooth large gear already, that is where I would start.  

Cassettes are described by the small and large teeth numbers.  For example, most bikes come from the manufacturer with an 12-25 or an 11-25.  Picking up three teeth on the rear cassette will make a huge difference.  Here is a good link to start some research......  http://www.cyclingsite.com/lists_articles/gearing_101.htm

This was so good it needed to be posted again! 

I would only add that you should check your current cranks to see what the gearing is.  Many bikes are coming from the factory with compact cranksets.  A compact will have 50/34 gearing and <most> standard cranksets will have a 53/39.  Another option you should look at is the length of your crank arms.  Adding a longer crank arm could provide better leverage while climbing. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help With Bike - Triple Crank or Compact? Rss Feed