General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trail running shoe suggestions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-13 6:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
Subject: Trail running shoe suggestions

I am training for my first ultra in April - 50 mile trail run 75% rugged trail and need some decent shoes for training.

Right now I am running the trails in my New Balance road shoes which are starting to bite the dust.  I need shoes that will have very good traction as my training runs are on very hilly trails that are fairly rugged.  I will also be running them in ice and snow (Got to love winter in Illinois).  I would like something that is light weight. 

All of the shoe stores are trying to talk me into the barefoot trail shoes, but I really don't think they will have the traction I need or hold up to winter training.  I did look at the Merrell Avian Light Stretch but hesitate to drop $100 on a pair of maybe shoes and couldn't find a lot of reviews.

Any suggestions?

Edited by GmrGirl 2011-11-13 6:44 AM

2011-11-13 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3900052

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Center of My Universe
Subject: RE: Trail running shoe suggestions

Pretty much every company offers some trail shoes that aren't minimalist. I would agree, minimalist is not the answer for cold 50-100 milers. I personally like Brooks as a company. They have some good offerings:

http://www.brooksrunning.com/womens-trail-shoes/womens-runningshoes-trail,default,sc.html

2011-11-13 10:42 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I have three pairs. The montrail rockridge or fairhaven are good. I think the fairhaven is lighter, and water proof which may help if running in snow. I find the rockridge to be a little heavy and inflexable, even clunky especially on the sidewalk or flat hard trails, but they protect your feet from roots and have quite a bit of support for your ankle, at least compared to NB 1064, they really hold up over 100k anyways. The solomon xlab is also a good shoe, it isn't neutral and has a slight bit of pronation control but it is light and it makes it easier to pick up your foot, which is important and keeps you from eating dirt too often. Oh, the fairhaven has pronation control too. I usually wear a neutral shoe but both those are advertised as having "slight pronation control", I was skeptical but the shoes were a deal.

2011-12-01 9:47 PM

Massachusetts
I use SOLOMONS
2011-12-01 9:49 PM

Massachusetts
2011-12-02 8:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI

I just got a pair of Brooks PureFlow and they are great. They make a trail shoe, PureGrit.

2011-12-02 10:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX

Check out the Hoka One One shoes.

They are big and ugly but so freaking comfortable.

The make a trail shoe called the Mafate.  I personally use the Bondi B's which are designed for road running but I have used them successfully on some technical trails. 

The are a 4mm Heel-to-toe drop shoe (encourages a mid-foot strike) but have a TON of EVA in the midsole which makes them very comfortable.

2011-12-05 8:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleetwood, PA
I've been hitting the trails in La Sportiva Crosslites.  I haven't used them in the cold weather yet (injured right now- waaah) but they do have decent lugs on them.  If you're having trouble deciding and your local running store doesn't have what you want to try, runningwarehouse.com has free shipping and return shipping.  They don't have the newest models, but they have a nice selection.  I've ordered a few pairs from them, tried them all on around the house (keep the tags o- don't take them outside!!) to see what I  liked the most, kept the La Sportiva's and sent the other 3 pairs back.
2011-12-06 5:41 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
GmrGirl - 2011-11-13 7:44 AM

I am training for my first ultra in April - 50 mile trail run 75% rugged trail and need some decent shoes for training.

Hey girl!  What has McFuzz gotten you into now?!?  I had hopes of doing a 50 miler in the spring too, but chickened out and decided on a 50K instead.  I did one last spring and had a blast, although I was totally inexperienced and naive to trail running (still am).

I came in here looking for shoes too, and found your post!  But I think I would like the minimal trail shoes, so I'll start looking around and comparing.  I'm currently in Saucony Kinvara road shoes and LOVE them.  Just not sure they are good for trails though.

2011-12-13 3:28 PM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas

I'm in the market for some trail shoes as well.  I haven't run trails since my x-country days in high school almost 20 years ago.  Back then I just wore the same shoes I trained on the road in.

Now I am wearing Kinvaras, so I think I may need am upgrade before I run Bandera next month.  I've heard that's a pretty rough trail, so I want something a bit sturdier.

I have always worn Saucony.  Do they make a good trail shoe?  Or should i get outside of my comfort zone and buy a different brand? I like neutral, minimal drop shoes.

2011-12-13 4:22 PM
in reply to: #3937263

User image

Champion
Calgary
djastroman - 2011-12-13 2:28 PM

I'm in the market for some trail shoes as well.  I haven't run trails since my x-country days in high school almost 20 years ago.  Back then I just wore the same shoes I trained on the road in.

Now I am wearing Kinvaras, so I think I may need am upgrade before I run Bandera next month.  I've heard that's a pretty rough trail, so I want something a bit sturdier.

I have always worn Saucony.  Do they make a good trail shoe?  Or should i get outside of my comfort zone and buy a different brand? I like neutral, minimal drop shoes.

I just found out about the Kinvara and am in love. All my trail shoes are clunky, except the NB Trail Minimus. There are a lot of good minimial trail shoes out there though that are light but sturdy. Sorry I can't give any real personal recomendations, except the Minimus but that can hardly be called sturdy.

2011-12-13 7:32 PM
in reply to: #3937263

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
djastroman - 2011-12-13 4:28 PM

Fellow Kinvara lover here!  Check out the Saucony Progrid Peregrine.  They are the trail "cousin" to the Kinvaras.  I JUST got mine a few days ago, but haven't had a chance to take them out on the trails yet.  Can't wait!

"Saucony Progrid Peregrine --  Trail runners helped pioneer the minimalist movement, so it was only "natural" to introduce the ProGrid Peregrine. Built on the same foot-form as the Kinvara and featuring a 4mm heel drop, the Peregrine is a must-have for any trail running enthusiast. Multi-direction lugs provide a sticky grip, so you can focus and feel your way through any terrain."

2011-12-13 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3937495

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Maria527 - 2011-12-13 7:32 PM

Fellow Kinvara lover here!  Check out the Saucony Progrid Peregrine.  They are the trail "cousin" to the Kinvaras.  I JUST got mine a few days ago, but haven't had a chance to take them out on the trails yet.  Can't wait!

"Saucony Progrid Peregrine --  Trail runners helped pioneer the minimalist movement, so it was only "natural" to introduce the ProGrid Peregrine. Built on the same foot-form as the Kinvara and featuring a 4mm heel drop, the Peregrine is a must-have for any trail running enthusiast. Multi-direction lugs provide a sticky grip, so you can focus and feel your way through any terrain."

The Peregrine's sound great!  I'd be interested in your thoughts after a few runs!

2011-12-14 9:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Another Salomon fan here. I swear by the XT Wings for their cushion, sturdiness (indestructible) and speed lace system. I run on trails that have a lot of tree roots, rocks and hills - these shoes are great. I just bought a pair of the Pearl Izumi trail shoes on clearance - wanted to see how they compared...no comparison, the Salomon is much stronger and capable. The Pearl shoe is better suited for non-technical trails, which most races won't be found using exclusively. I am loyal to Pearl on my road shoes, though. Also, with Salomon, you get a tremendous company for warranty issues. They are almost a "no questions" group with gear replacement.

Have fun training! Being out on the trail and seeing deer, turkeys, etc...is incredible
2011-12-17 10:46 PM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
OK, my wife decided to buy me a pair of Montrails for christmas.  She couldn't wait until then to tell me.  So I guess i'll find out how i like them in a week!
2011-12-20 1:59 AM
in reply to: #3937571

djastroman - 2011-12-13 8:50 PM
Maria527 - 2011-12-13 7:32 PM

The Peregrine's sound great!  I'd be interested in your thoughts after a few runs!

I like mine so far.  I was using Brooks Cascadias but did not like the 6's and my 5's wore out.  My LRS owner gave me a pair of the peregrines to try for a few weeks.  I liked them enough to go back and buy them.

I have ran on gravel/dirt roads, horse trails, very hilly horse trails.  The trails surface is snow, slush, mud, horse crap, a few hard paclked areas and swampy with water crossings.  So far so good.

I also have a pair of NB MT10.  I like them on some trails but they suck on rocks, IMHO.

2011-12-20 3:38 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Junction, Colorado
Yes, I do have one suggestion. Please find a running shoe shop that will be able to analyze your foot strike. This quick process will help leaps and bounds. Now, to answer your question, I do like the Salomon XA PRO D ULTRA through REI because the dividend is pretty cool.
2012-01-04 1:04 PM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
GmrGirl - 2011-11-13 5:44 AM

Right now I am running the trails in my New Balance road shoes which are starting to bite the dust.  I need shoes that will have very good traction as my training runs are on very hilly trails that are fairly rugged.  I will also be running them in ice and snow (Got to love winter in Illinois).  I would like something that is light weight. 

All of the shoe stores are trying to talk me into the barefoot trail shoes, but I really don't think they will have the traction I need or hold up to winter training.  I did look at the Merrell Avian Light Stretch but hesitate to drop $100 on a pair of maybe shoes and couldn't find a lot of reviews.

Any suggestions?

I am a runner and as such I go through a lot of shoes.. and believe me, it is NOT about the shoes, it is about learning how to run.   I wrote a blogpost a few months ago about picking a shoe, read it here: "http://sccfendurance.blogspot.com/2011/03/what-is-in-shoe.html".   Picking a running shoe is unimportant if you know how to run..  Most of us take running for granted.  Please read this blogpost as well so you know what I am talking about(http://sccfendurance.blogspot.com/2011/03/injury-prevention.html).    I think that first we need to learn how to run,  then we should develop our endurance, and finally get some speed.  But you don't want to start running long if you don't know how to run, or start running fast if you dont' know how to run. 

I am an endurance junkie,  I have run over 50 marathons and ultras, including several at the 100 mile range and I have done several ironman triathlons.   I can do this because I learned how to run.  check my blog here (http://velasqu7.blogspot.com/), I promise I know what I am talking about. 

cheers and let me know how it goes..

Luis

2012-01-10 7:45 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Got my first pair of trail running shoes last week, the Saucony ProGrid Xodus 2.0 (what's with these ridic long names?) after running only in Brooks Defyance for the last 2+ years. I tried the Montrail Masochists and some Salomon's at the store, but neither of them fit the shape of my foot as well as Brooks or Saucony.

The Xodus is an all-trail shoe. On the pavement or smooth two-track, the shoe is a little clunky, especially at 12.2 oz with a 12mm drop, but if you're on constantly uneven surfaces, like rocks, roots, sand, and carved out single track, they will power over almost anything without slipping or torquing the ankle. Dare I say they're the 29ers of trail shoes? I'd like to try the Saucony Peregrine's next, which run 9.7oz and 4mm drop as a trail racing shoe and keep the Xodus for high mileage training.
2012-01-11 1:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
McHenry, IL

I like Inov-8. The Roclite 295 is my current favorite.

http://www.inov-8.com/New/UK/Product-View-Roclite-295.html?L=27

2012-01-12 2:30 AM
in reply to: #3982874

yeats - 2012-01-10 7:45 PM Got my first pair of trail running shoes last week, the Saucony ProGrid Xodus 2.0 (what's with these ridic long names?) after running only in Brooks Defyance for the last 2+ years. I tried the Montrail Masochists and some Salomon's at the store, but neither of them fit the shape of my foot as well as Brooks or Saucony. The Xodus is an all-trail shoe. On the pavement or smooth two-track, the shoe is a little clunky, especially at 12.2 oz with a 12mm drop, but if you're on constantly uneven surfaces, like rocks, roots, sand, and carved out single track, they will power over almost anything without slipping or torquing the ankle. Dare I say they're the 29ers of trail shoes? I'd like to try the Saucony Peregrine's next, which run 9.7oz and 4mm drop as a trail racing shoe and keep the Xodus for high mileage training.

I switched from Brooks Cascadias to the peregrines.  I was happy with the cascadias but after a few weeks of a demo pair of peregrines I bought them.  Given your speed your would probabley like they are really light.  I shop at Elite Feet in lapeer, they have a store in Brighton, swing by and see if they have a demo pair around. 

Joe

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trail running shoe suggestions Rss Feed