United States
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 19m 41s
Overall Rank = 4/147
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

None...drove there after training a friend, got out, put on chip and number, ran a warm up mile, said HI to friends, then ran.
Event warmup:

1 mile
Run
  • 19m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Crazy splits. Took off at what I decided was a comfortable hard pace, whatever that is. Within the first 100 yards, I was in 6th place. Most of the first mile is downhill and I felt pretty good. Pushing, but not in my "stupid rabbit" zone or anything. During that first mile, I passed 3 people to put myself in 3rd. First and second place were just WAY ahead already, so there was no catching them in this lifetime. At the first mile split, the guy yelled 4:30! A young guy I had passed a minute earlier came up beside me and started laughing. I looked at my watch and it was 5:28, which I told him. We both laughed and he passed me. He continued to increase his lead on me the rest of the race, so I tried to hold on to 4th. I knew the first place girl I had passed earlier was close on my heels. I made it to the turn around and saw one of my old police buddies from Independence in his car blocking traffic. As I turned, I slapped the hood of his car and started back up the hill towards where we came from. The girl was about 60 feet behind me, and the others I passed where on her heels. I was starting to feel tired now, as the crazy pace I had just pushed was beginning to take it's toll. I felt my pace slowing, and the crazy hard wind was now in my face. Great...uphill AND a headwind. I just wanted to hold on to 4th. On I pushed, and when I spit to one side or the other, I would try to look out of the corner of my eye to see if anyone was on my ass. I also tried to listen close for footsteps. I was hurting and wasn't sure if I had enough in the tank to fend off a challenge. At the 2 mile mark, I was really surprised no one had tried to pass me, as I knew my pace was slipping, but I was hoping they were feeling the hill and wind as bad as I was. A few times I thought I heard foot steps a little to close, so I loosened up, got on my toes and pushed my pace for a few yards. As I got close to the 3 mile mark, I chanced a glance back and saw the #1 girl about 50 feet back. I was feeling destroyed and wandered if she was going to try to kick past me. I reached down and asked the reserve tank for just a little more. As soon as I hit flat ground at the turn, I punched the after burners and gave it what I had. I went across the finish line with zero left in the tank...and a few seconds later, the girl in my heels finished. Whew! My chest was about to explode, my cheeks were on fire and I wanted to just collapse, but I mustered enough energy to lift my foot to have my chip removed. The girl came up and thanked me for pushing her. I congratulated her on her victory and staggered off for refreshments. Second 5K of the year. I had wondered if I had lost any "speed" since I had been Ultra training for so many months. Even though this was a slower time than my Spring race, it was a much harder course, so I don't think I lost any or much speed. I'm happy.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing....
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit then ran a mile.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Gravity.

Event comments:

For it's only 4th year, this race is run perfectly and has the best food spread afterwards that I have ever...EVER...EVER seen. Live band. Free kids race. Hoards of door prizes.

Last updated: 2011-11-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:41 | 03.11 miles | 06m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 4/147
Performance: Good
Course: Out and Back. Leaving parking lot of church, north on Turkeyfoot Road, then turn around at half way point and come back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes