of 2

2011-11-14 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3901479

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Trouble going long… help?

Hey Scott,

One thing you had mentioned to me a week or so before was that you felt tired / worn out, which surprised me at the time, but now I wonder if it was also a clue as to your performance.  I think the comparison of your last long run to the race is really interesting... your training run had a faster pace, lower heart rate and, while you slowed down, you didn't "bonk".  So, while I think you probably would have been better served going out a little slower in the race, maybe the question should be why weren't you able to speed up to around a 9 min/mile pace or at least maintain 9:15 (which I would have thought you'd be able to hit on race day)?  What was different about race day compared to your long training run?  Or maybe the week or two leading up to race day?  Different eating / sleeping?  Maybe stress (thinking of elevated heart rate)? 

Just a couple of thoughts from a very non-expert and again, bummed you didn't nail it, but I'm impressed with your desire to learn from it.  Maybe something else going on.  Oh, btw, I wouldn't compare this with the Ironman performance... I'm betting that run issue was more from lack of training on the bike (I had similar issue on my first HIM... sounded awfully familiar).

Stu

2011-11-14 7:34 PM
in reply to: #3902084

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
juneapple - 2011-11-14 7:56 PM

Hey Scott,

One thing you had mentioned to me a week or so before was that you felt tired / worn out, which surprised me at the time, but now I wonder if it was also a clue as to your performance.  I think the comparison of your last long run to the race is really interesting... your training run had a faster pace, lower heart rate and, while you slowed down, you didn't "bonk".  So, while I think you probably would have been better served going out a little slower in the race, maybe the question should be why weren't you able to speed up to around a 9 min/mile pace or at least maintain 9:15 (which I would have thought you'd be able to hit on race day)?  What was different about race day compared to your long training run?  Or maybe the week or two leading up to race day?  Different eating / sleeping?  Maybe stress (thinking of elevated heart rate)? 

Just a couple of thoughts from a very non-expert and again, bummed you didn't nail it, but I'm impressed with your desire to learn from it.  Maybe something else going on.  Oh, btw, I wouldn't compare this with the Ironman performance... I'm betting that run issue was more from lack of training on the bike (I had similar issue on my first HIM... sounded awfully familiar).

Stu

Thanks Stu and everyone... trying to digest it all as the input is great. 

I was feeling run down to answer your question. I have two little boys at home. One is two years old and doesn't sleep well lately, so I've been up with him when he wakes up a lot. There is probably another forum for that problem...  but didn't think it was that material to the race. Perhaps it added some to the storm.  

On your point about speeding up, that was part of my assumption going into the race that I could go faster than in training. As mentioned, I used the "Runner's World break 4 hours" plan. I knew I wasn't going to break 4 hrs about half way into the plan but stuck to the distances and thought 4:30 was possible. (The plan is scanned as a picture in my profile and can certainly be debated). However, the plan calls for most of the long runs to be 30-45 seconds slower than goal marathon pace... never running long distance at MP. To your point, I wasn't able to train slower then speed up. Either I'm not one that can dig deeper during races or the plan is flawed... for me at least. Perhaps another lesson learned about following a generic plan by a big magazine. 

2011-11-14 7:38 PM
in reply to: #3901983

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Dream Chaser - 2011-11-14 6:28 PM burkesj - 2011-11-14 4:51 PM Dream Chaser - 2011-11-14 2:59 PM

All my runs used to be Tempo Runs around 5 and 6 miles in distance.  I would run them all just under race pace and finish exhausted, thinking I got in a good workout.  And when I would run long, I would start slightly slower and always fade the last 1/3rd of the run. 

This resonates with me a lot... I have my standard 6 mile course I like to run. Sometimes gets boring so I try to beat my prior times. I also don't have any endurance training. Played basketball and lacrosse in college with any running being go hard and fast as possible.

Edited by burkesj 2011-11-14 7:44 PM
2011-11-14 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3902012

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Subject: RE: Trouble going long...any help?
KathyG - 2011-11-14 6:46 PM

Pacing issue

What I'd suggest doing is what I worked on in 2009. I would do my long runs with goal pace for each mile and overall goal to make each mile faster than last one which meant starting out what felt ridiculously slow. I found it to be a fun game to play and made my long runs more mentally engaging. I got so I would be within 3-5 seconds of goal pace set by my coach each mile.

Come IM day it helped...I had bonked or come close to bonking on the bike as I had been throwing up for 4 hours. Off the bike I was determined to get calories and fluid in. My fastest miles were last 3 of IM run and first and second half run splits were within 7 minutes.  I am not fast but all those long runs forcing myself to slow down first miles really paid off.

No thread would be complete without Kathy's input. Smile Three years of being mostly a BT lurker thought me that. 

Those 'games' might be helpful to keep it interesting. Looking forward to trying them. 

Edited by burkesj 2011-11-14 7:43 PM
2011-11-14 9:22 PM
in reply to: #3902128

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Subject: RE: Trouble going long...any help?
burkesj - 2011-11-14 8:42 PM

No thread would be complete without Kathy's input. Smile Three years of being mostly a BT lurker thought me that. 

Those 'games' might be helpful to keep it interesting. Looking forward to trying them. 

taught... guess I need to learn to post better from my phone too Embarassed

2011-11-14 9:35 PM
in reply to: #3901770

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
2009 numbers aren't good anymore. Don't use them. Get retested. HR zones can change as your fitness increases. My boyfriend's zone 2 range went up 10 bpm over 8 months.

burkesj - 2011-11-14 3:31 PM

TriFlorida - 2011-11-14 3:37 PM What, if any, base training have you done? Your HR seems pretty high for the corresponding paces, especially if you've been consistently running since 2008.

I had a VO2 Max test done back in 2009. Can't seem to find all the info and test results but have attached what I have right now... but I had the same thought about my HR being high on runs. Figured it was just me running too hard.

Scott,

I plugged your max HR into the attached table. The HR zones are configured according to Friel’s HR zones. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sue

General Perception/Perceived EffortApprox % of Max HR (varies amoung individuals)Metabolic SystemMax HR185
 Lower HR Training ZoneUpper HR Training Zone
EasyHR 50-60%Easy Aerobic93111
ModerateHR 65-80%Aerobic120148
Moderate-hardHR 75-85%Aerobic-Anaerobic crossover139157
HardHR 80-90%Anaerobic148167
Lactate Threshold-hard plusHR 85-92%Anaerobic157170
Very HardHR 85-95%Anaerobic157176
All outHR 95-100%Muscular176185

bon

probably will need to see this image in my profile till I can make it bigger.

2011-11-15 5:03 AM
in reply to: #3902012

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA

Pacing issue

What I'd suggest doing is what I worked on in 2009. I would do my long runs with goal pace for each mile and overall goal to make each mile faster than last one which meant starting out what felt ridiculously slow. I found it to be a fun game to play and made my long runs more mentally engaging. I got so I would be within 3-5 seconds of goal pace set by my coach each mile.

Come IM day it helped...I had bonked or come close to bonking on the bike as I had been throwing up for 4 hours. Off the bike I was determined to get calories and fluid in. My fastest miles were last 3 of IM run and first and second half run splits were within 7 minutes.  I am not fast but all those long runs forcing myself to slow down first miles really paid off.

I like to do at least a couple of my long runs for marathon training as "progression runs". I run these on a nice flat course so terrain doesn't affect pace so much, and use a GPS to help me pace. Typically I have done these by running the first third of the run at about 20-30 per mile seconds slower than marathon goal pace, the second third at 10-15 seconds per mile below goal, and final third at or above goal pace. This does a couple of things - 1) Teaches you to go out easy at the beginning; 2) Helps you learn what it feels like to run harder at the end of a long run; and 3) Gets you a longer run with SOME harder effort, but since you start out easier, recovery cost is not as high as doing the long run at a harder sustained effort.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trouble going long… help? Rss Feed  

of 2