Outer Banks Sporting Events
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 01m 53s
Overall Rank = 778/2757
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 65/139
Pre-race routine:

Up early and the nervousness began, showered, ate a bagel and drank water.
Event warmup:

Arrived at start 50 minutes prior, ran roughly 3/4 mile then did some light stretching. After this ran another 1/4 mile and then waited for the start! This was where the butterflies really started to fly, visited the Porto-pots several times :)
Run
  • 2h 01m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

1st I think that my success in this race is mainly due to my buddy Austin running with me the entire time. He is an experienced runner who will normally run a half in 1hr30m, he decided since this was my 1st one he would hang back and "enjoy" the run! Of course it may have been a deposit for me running at his pace in the future!

Started at a strong pace and felt I was running comfortably. I was hoping to run the first half at a quicker pace and then when necessary (or forced) slow down to a 9m pace to finish the race. The 1st 6 miles seemed to go by pretty easily. Miles 1-3 went by pretty quick due to having to pass a lot of people. The start was in waves and my corral was in "D". I am not sure what I put in for a finishing time but I was definetely starting too far back! I positioned myself at the front of the wave but we still caught up to wave C pretty quickly. Miles 4-6 flew by, we continued to pass a lot of people and made our first trip back into the subdivision, which was a good change of scenery. On mile 6 was where Austin showed me the diffenence in our "endurance" level. He stopped for a potty break and then caught up with me with-in 3/4 of a mile. He stated he had to go under a 7 minute pace but still showed back up with a smile on his face. Crazy runners!

Around mile 7-8 was when I first had any discomfort. The discomfort started in my lower left calf and seemed to just move up the calf as the miles added up. During miles 7-9 was where I had any real mind games. When my leg started to hurt, I also had some heaviness in my breathing and then my mind jumped in. Began as a whisper (slow down, slow down) around mile 9 it was louder. Took a little effort but was able to hold pace for the most part, but mile 9 was the 1st one to go over a 9m pace.

At Mile 10 was where everything seemed to hit a wall, actually a bridge. This was where the course crossed the bay to go into Manteo, NC. Didn't seem to be a tall bridge but when it is at mile 10 of my 1st HM it did seem to grow as I went up it. I made it up the bridge with minimal loss to my pace but I think I sacrificed a lot to get to the top. Once at the bottom of the hill I attempted to get back to the 9m pace with no luck. The discomfort in my calf was really screaming at me now. Struggled for another 3/4 of a mile before the dreaded 1st stop came! Stopped stretched out my legs and then restarted. This happened 4 times over the last 2 miles, each time I had to stretch out the calf and then go into more of speed walk before I was able to do something that even ressembled a run.
What would you do differently?:

Biggest change I would have made is to slow down more on the bridge. I believe if I would takent his hill slower I would have had more left for the last 3 miles and possibly would not have had so much cramping in the calf. Other than this my effort was good and I pushed through all the minor issues.
Post race
Warm down:

A lot of stretching. After about 45m BBQ and a Blue Moon Draft!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much, I believe I performed at my current ability. My breathing never was stressed nor did I go into any hyperventilating. My heart rate was somewhat higher than I would have wanted early in the race but I do not think it affect the overall race. Once I get more "endurance" into my legs I will be able to quicken this time.

Event comments:

Race was well organized, post race party included free BBQ, beer, and the other normal post race foods. Live band. It was a good time to relax and recover from a strenuous run.
Also have to give a nod to the team X-tream guys. These were Wounded vets who completed the course in hand powered wheel chairs wearing full gas masks. Along with Team X-tream there were 2 other elderly gentleman that completed the course in wheel chairs, If these guys can make it through the course there is no reason for me to stop. These 4 individuals are a great inspiration!

Last updated: 2011-08-31 12:00 AM
Running
02:01:53 | 13.1 miles | 09m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 65/139
Overall: 778/2757
Performance: Good
1: 8:42 @ 157bpm 2: 8:48 @ 160 3: 8:47 @ 161 4: 8:44 @ 165 5: 8:40 @ 167 6: 8:50 @ 169 7: 8:56 @ 169 8: 8:55 @ 171 9: 9:13 @ 170 10:9:20 @ 173 11:9:51 @ 169 12:10:26@ 168 13:10:29@ 164
Course: Course was mostly flat along the main road of the outer banks. Went back into some subdivisions which made for a good change in view. Back in this subdivision was the 1st chance I was able to get a good view of "The Bridge"
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-11-14 1:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: Outer Banks Half Marathon

2011-11-15 4:37 AM
in reply to: #3901472

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Outer Banks Half Marathon

Great job Matt!!

It sounds like your friend probably made a big difference in helping you understand and maintain a pretty even effort for most of the race.  Even pacing is pretty key to being successful during these longer distance races.  Continue learning to use the HR monitor on your Garmin to gauge effort and that will make a pretty big difference too.

This is a solid first half marathon and you have a lot to be happy about.  Continue to gloat to your friends for at least another week.  You placed above 50% of the field in both your AG and overall.  Congratulations!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Outer Banks Half Marathon Rss Feed