MultiRace
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 27m 10s
Overall Rank = 419/683
Age Group = Under 39 Clydes
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Drove down Saturday, learned several important lessons about traveling for a tri. First, don't spill a large glass of milk in the van as you are getting in to leave. That pushed back our departure by 30-45 minutes. Second, when you lock your bike and wheels in your wife's van, make sure you take the key off of the key chain for the truck. That little oversight cost me another 30-45 minutes once I got to the Expo/Packet Pick-up. Thankfully the crew with Multisport were able to get me a bolt cutter. By the time I got to check-in, there was less than an hour left to rack my bike and visit the Expo. The bright spot in all of this was picking up a SwimP3 player for half price! (Vendor wanted to sell the last one and leave.)

Race morning was uneventful, thankfully. Breakfast was not as good as I normally have, but better than nothing. Had two hamburger buns with peanut butter, would have rather had a bagel, but couldn't find a real grocery store and was stuck with what CVS had on the shelf.
Event warmup:

Walk down to swim start, contort self into wetsuit, waddle to start line. Not a big fan of swimming as a warm-up, it only makes me cold.
Swim
  • 42m 55s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

First lake swim for me, was much better than I expected. Wetsuit was also a surprise, felt very balanced in the water. After the first 200 yards I was able to get into a good rhythm, kept my breathing under control and just swam. During the 2nd lap I was able to find another swimmer that I drafted off of the rest of the way. Thank you #31. That was also the first time I drafted during the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. This was my best swim to date. The only thing I would change was finding a draft partner sooner.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Transition 1 Details:
Time: 1:53
Overall Place: 63
Percentile: 91
Gender Place: 42
Gender Percentile: 91
Category Place: 1
Category Percentile: 100

Nothing. If I could find a race with 4 or 5 transitions, I would love it!
Bike
  • 2h 59m 42s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Very well supported ride. Cops/Deputies at all intersections. Volunteers galore. 2 aid stations with water & food that you passed 4 times. Very well marked turns. A few distance markers would have been nice.

Did stop several times. Once because the wind caught me off guard during a turn and pushed me off the road. Came to a stop and used that time to tighten the bottle rack on the back of the seat as it was starting to hang down and was hitting my legs. Second stop was an attempted potty break. Third time was to give a fellow rider a tube. He flatted 4 miles from T2 and the lady who stopped to help him was riding 650's and he needed a 700.

Pushed a little too hard, especially into the wind. Kept a very comfortable cadence but began to feel my quads burn at about mile 35. Need more training prior to races of this distance.
Transition 2
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Transition 2 Details:
Time: 1:57
Overall Place: 143
Percentile: 79
Gender Place: 100
Gender Percentile: 79
Category Place: 1
Category Percentile: 100

Again nothing. Both transitions under 2 minutes. Had it not been for fast transitions and a 4 minute penalty, the 2nd place guy would have beat me by 2 minutes.
Run
  • 2h 40m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

WORST RUN EVER!!! I honestly thought I could hold 10 min/mile pace. Ha!!! I ended up walking almost half of the 2nd lap, mainly the final 3 miles. It was brutal. Quads cramped almost immediately after the bike. Had to stop several times to stretch and once for an actual potty break. At one point I noticed I was not sweating, so I slowed way down, took a cup of ice at the aid station and tried to cool off as best as I could. Never felt like I was in danger, but was cautious.

Train, train, train, as in make sure you get in all of the training planned. 3 days a week will not prepare you for a HIM.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, shade, pizza, chips, a Coke and find the family. They missed the finish because a passenger on the tram from the zoo to the park, had a seizure and they had to wait for EMS. They missed me by less than 5 minutes. Oh well, there's my reason to do another.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Let's all say it together, T-R-A-I-N-I-N-G!!!!

Event comments:

Not as impressed as I expected. For a "Best of" race, I thought there was a lot more that could be done. Expo was very minimal, I've seen better at local sprint/Oly tris. Again, no XXL shirts, so I have another race shirt that I can not wear. The "discounted admission" for the zoo was $1. So my family had to pay almost $40 bucks to see me run by once and then miss my finish. They also changed the run course without letting everyone know. My family went to where the map said we would pass, but the route through the zoo was different than marked. Post race food & beverage was very disappointing. Not sure I would recommend this race to others.

Last updated: 2010-12-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:55 | 2112 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 334/683
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca S3 sleeveless
Course: Out from beach to yellow bouy, left turn then down and back keeping orange bouys on the right. Out of the water, across the mat, back in for lap 2. 2nd lap was orange bouys only.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:53
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:59:42 | 56 miles | 18.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 382/683
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back with a loop. Start of the ride was great, overcast skies, 70 degrees, and light wind... then during the loop, the sun came out, temps got up towards the 80's and the wind REALLY picked up, 12-15 mph out of the east.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:40:45 | 13.1 miles | 12m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 481/683
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 laps through the campground/park and Zoo Miami. Not too bad, but not a very exciting run. Shade was better than expected but not very consistent. Some areas were very shaded, then there was the parking lots, the lake shores, the prairie/gravel fields.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-11-14 11:31 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: Miami Man 1/2 Iron Triathlon

2011-11-22 5:53 AM
in reply to: #3902297

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: Miami Man 1/2 Iron Triathlon
Nice job! I came to the same conclusion about only running 3x a week last year at my first HIM.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami Man 1/2 Iron Triathlon Rss Feed