Pretzel City Sports
42F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 29m 43s
Overall Rank = 67/123
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 6/13
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 7:30, at a Honey Stinger Waffle and drank a small glass of tea, then ran around trying to remember where all my stuff was. Fortunately, just a run, so didn't need much.
Event warmup:

None.
Run
  • 29m 43s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

After completion of tri-season, I didn't have anything "special" planned as in previous years, where I'd do a half mary or a 10-miler. Realized I'd not done a standalone 5K since before my first tri, over five years ago. Got curious as to how that'd go, tried to find some local races to satisfy that curiosity even though I've only been running pretty much just once a week, maybe some time on the elliptical. This race was originally scheduled for Halloween weekend, but was postponed because of the snowstorm, and I just happened to see that it was available.

Goal was to beat 31 minutes, hoping for better than 10:00/mile. Wasn't sure I'd have a shot at beating 30 minutes but that was the stretch goal and I managed to pull it off. Ran between 9:45 and 10:00 for most of the race, then stepped it up with about .2 miles left to go.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...OK with the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water, walked around a bit, and took off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More training, but I'm in off-season mode right now.

Event comments:

Just a local 5K, proceeds going to Bucks County SPCA, so not a whole lot of expectations about it. Pretzel City is a very simple organization, nothing high tech or fancy, no pre-race music, not even a microphone to make themselves heard. But they were on time, and what else would you expect for a local 5K?

Last updated: 2011-11-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:43 | 03.1 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/123
Performance: Good
Set the Garmin to track kilometers since they come and go quicker than miles and I knew I wanted to be at about six minutes per KM. 1-6:04 2-6:01 3-5:54 4-6:05 5-5:41
Course: Generally flat run on a multi-use trail along the shore of Lake Galena in Peace Valley Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes