Australian Triathlon Forum Queensland » Anyone doing Kokoda Challenge in 2012? Rss Feed  
Moderators: kaqphin, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-20 6:35 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: Anyone doing Kokoda Challenge in 2012?

Hi guys, anyone interested in doing the Kokoda Challenge in 2012?

It is a 96k team  trail ultra held in the Gold Coast Hinterland and I am looking for some team members to do this awesome event.  It is a race if you want to make it a race, for most teams it is a challenge to get to the finish line together as a team. The course replicates the original Kokoda track in PNG where the Aussie diggers fougth off the Japanese during WWII and prevented the invasion of this country. It sells out really quicly...

2011-11-21 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3909234

New user
Subject: RE: Anyone doing Kokoda Challenge in 2012?

Hey Markz - I did it in 2010. One of the hardest yet most-awesome things I've ever done (I think Challenge Cairns this year, 2011, was more difficult as although it was shorter time-wise, the team aspect of the Kokoda Challenge helped dramatically).

Any thoughts on what time you would be aiming for?

And yes it certainly does sell out quick! Last year I registered in the first hour of opening and was put on a waiting list... thankfully my team got accepted.

Ben

2011-11-21 6:06 PM
in reply to: #3909689

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Anyone doing Kokoda Challenge in 2012?
ben_guts - 2011-11-21 7:37 AM

Hey Markz - I did it in 2010. One of the hardest yet most-awesome things I've ever done (I think Challenge Cairns this year, 2011, was more difficult as although it was shorter time-wise, the team aspect of the Kokoda Challenge helped dramatically).

Any thoughts on what time you would be aiming for?

And yes it certainly does sell out quick! Last year I registered in the first hour of opening and was put on a waiting list... thankfully my team got accepted.

Ben

Ben, thanks for the response.

I agree totally - very hard course, talked to many people who did few of them and got the same feedback. I am a member of the Southport running club on the Gold Coast and some guys did Kokoda Challenge years ago, right now no one seems to want to do it again.

My planned time? Honestly, I am quite happy to walk all the way and adjust to the slowest team member. The course is very steep and running in most parts is very hard. I want to enjoy the event, not to kill myself. Anytime before the cut off limit is fine with me. Really.

Mark

New Thread
Australian Triathlon Forum Queensland » Anyone doing Kokoda Challenge in 2012? Rss Feed