General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reasonable time to HIM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-21 1:17 AM

Veteran
Subject: Reasonable time to HIM?

Next year I would like to do the Branson HIM because I've heard it's the last year for it, and I won't have the money to do road racing next summer like I did due to other things coming up (like taking the MCAT). 

My last cycling A-race is in May ... my question is whether or not I will have enough time to train for the HIM and be competitive by late September - as in podium in the male 18-24. My cycling fitness should be there (it better be as a cat3 racer... lol). I can see myself pretty easily incorporating swimming into my training, but I've heard bad things about training for criteriums/RR and doing running. Would this be long enough to get my run in place? I haven't ran in about a year, but was decently fast (sub 1:30 HM) at my best

Edited by Kickback 2011-11-21 1:18 AM

2011-11-21 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3909530

Regular
Subject: RE: Reasonable time to HIM?

A ton of variables.  I did look at what was needed to win the 18-24 and was shocked to see that the 50-54 (my age group) was faster last year.  Now what is up with this?  The year before they were within 1 minute of each other.  

In Branson the most important aspect will be bike.  The course is not hilly but it is also not flat.  In past years the heat can also be pretty bad.  Sounds like the bike is your strongest aspect.  You mention cycling but not TT.   Do you also have a TT background?  

You will need to be close to 5:00.  If you can do a 2:25 bike then you will have some room.  You could do:

Swim -    35 mins

Bike -       2:25

Run -       1:45

5 -8 minutes transition and be in good shape.  You would probably have almost 10 minutes to work with.  A person your age that trains properly should be able to swim 35 mins or better and run 1:45 or better.  The bike is the key.

But it does always depend who shows up.  I have been been shocked both ways in the past.  Super competitive or lack of competitiveness.

A better approach is probably to compete against yourself.  Put together your target time and judge your day based on achieving the goal.  Podium or not you did what you set out to do.

Edited by bartturner 2011-11-21 2:35 PM
2011-11-21 3:00 PM
in reply to: #3910435

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Reasonable time to HIM?
bartturner - 2011-11-21 2:32 PM

A ton of variables.  I did look at what was needed to win the 18-24 and was shocked to see that the 50-54 (my age group) was faster last year.  Now what is up with this?  The year before they were within 1 minute of each other.  

In Branson the most important aspect will be bike.  The course is not hilly but it is also not flat.  In past years the heat can also be pretty bad.  Sounds like the bike is your strongest aspect.  You mention cycling but not TT.   Do you also have a TT background?  

You will need to be close to 5:00.  If you can do a 2:25 bike then you will have some room.  You could do:

Swim -    35 mins

Bike -       2:25

Run -       1:45

5 -8 minutes transition and be in good shape.  You would probably have almost 10 minutes to work with.  A person your age that trains properly should be able to swim 35 mins or better and run 1:45 or better.  The bike is the key.

But it does always depend who shows up.  I have been been shocked both ways in the past.  Super competitive or lack of competitiveness.

A better approach is probably to compete against yourself.  Put together your target time and judge your day based on achieving the goal.  Podium or not you did what you set out to do.

I have done Branson 70.3 the last two years and I totally disagree in saying the bike is not hilly. It is very hilly and a challenging bike course. The run is a very flat, 3 lap course. The first year it was very hot, last year is was a monsoon, so you never know what you will get weather wise.

Where did you hear that it was the last year for Branson 70.3?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reasonable time to HIM? Rss Feed