General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Places to swim in CO Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-28 3:59 PM

User image

Arvada, CO
Subject: Places to swim in CO
I have recently moved to the Denver area (Arvada) and I am presently swimming at an indoor pool, but with the weather warming would like to swim outdoors. Any locals have suggestions as to where one can swim in open water, and what should I expect as far as temperature? I relocated from Texas where you could swim year-round and only need a wetsuit for a couple of days in January.

2006-04-28 7:48 PM
in reply to: #409646

Subject: RE: Places to swim in CO
If you join Comsa (colorado masters swimming assn) or Bikesource multisport club you can swim Monday and Wednesday evenings and Saturday AMs at the Gravel Ponds in Chatfield State Park. That starts tomorrow (4/29) and I would think Wetsuits are a must till mid to late may. It was pretty comfy in the water in late June last year. That was my first trip out there.

2006-04-28 9:59 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

The Gravel Pond is awesome.  Other open water places are Boulder Rez, Union Rez in Longmont, and I think I heard that Aurora Rez allows some swimming. 

I am most familiar with Boulder rez....no swimming unless there are guards present and you must stay in the roped off area.  I don't think there are guards until Memorial Day, but there might be on some weekends prior to that. 

I always use a wetsuit, but I'm a wimp like that   The water temps don't hit 70 until July. 

2006-04-30 7:50 AM

User image

Boulder, Colorado

Welcome to CO! The Gravel Pond and Boulder Res are great places to swim. Also at the Gravel Pond there is a swim/run race series 1x each month. I put these events on and we get lots of people that come out to get some open water swimming.

www.aquathonusa.com

Check it out!  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Places to swim in CO Rss Feed