Village of Lincolnwood
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 40m 40s
Overall Rank = 23/487
Age Group = M3039
Age Group Rank = 8/50
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6am had a cranberry nut bagel with chocolate chip cream cheese, it was a short race so I thought I'd see how I'd react to the cream cheese! Got to the race site a little before 8am, just enough time not to rush as usual.
Event warmup:

Ran about a half mile 15min before the race at a good enough pace to get my heart rate up and then did 3x100m sprint about 3min before the start.
Run
  • 40m 40s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

I did this particular race since it was a goal of mine to beat my PR that I set when I was 17 at this same race. I did it in 42:40 and got 2nd in AG back in 1998. This goal has kind of been in the back of my mind since I started really running again in the Fall of 2009. At that time I thought I would never be able to beat my youth! Lately I've seen some huge gains in running and decided a few weeks ago to give it a shot and sign up.

Everything told me I was able to do it, mainly my recent race results and training. I put my HM time into Mcmillan's calculator to use as a guide and figured I'd go just a little faster than what it told me.

So, to the race...it was a 10k and 5k together and split a little after mile 1. That first mile I was just keeping up with everyone around me and I ended up running the first mile in 5:55...way too fast! Then when the 5ker's split off I was caught off guard (I hadn't looked at their course) and realized I shouldn't have been keeping up with them. My pace faded with each mile, but I didn't run slower than what Mcmillan's calc had my pace at (6:39/mi).

Around mile 4 I felt like I was going to puke from the intensity of the run, especially since I ended up running the first 5k faster than my recent best back in June. The feeling went away and after passing the 5th mile I tried my best to up the pace a little but was only able to run it 5 seconds faster than mile 4.

I ended up finishing in 40:40, 2min faster than my 17-year-old self's PR! I hit my goal, and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure if I want to do another 10k again lol!
What would you do differently?:

Pace better
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around waiting for friends to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of recent experience on pacing a 10k.

Event comments:

This race has come a long way since the last time I did it. It's a really top notch 10k put together by the village. I'd recommend it to anyone!

Last updated: 2011-11-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:40 | 06.21 miles | 06m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/50
Overall: 23/487
Performance: Good
Course: One loop that went up and down the streets of the neighborhood surrounding the park where we started at.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes