General Discussion Race Reports! » Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlon - Plymouth Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlon - Plymouth - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Plymouth, Minnesota
United States
Lifetime Fitness
Total Time = 1h 15m
Overall Rank = 1/54
Age Group = Open/Male
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

Mini-wheats and some water, pretty low-key
Event warmup:

Swam about 250 yards to loosen up prior to the swim, then a little light stretching on the deck
Swim
  • 10m
  • 700 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim!! Improved from 600 to 700 yards since march. Got a little lazy in the middle (100yd times approaching 1:35), but finished strong.
What would you do differently?:

Nada. I just hope to continue to hit the pool 3-4x/week from now till spring, with hopes of getting to 750 (30 laps) by the next indoor tri.
Transition 1
  • 10m
Comments:

Set time, easily got set up and loosened

nothing. i actually felt a little silly running from the pool to the locker room and then to the cycle studio.
Bike
  • 30m
  • 22.5 miles
  • 45.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I honestly felt very bad for several of the other racers. The "bike" portion of this is set up in their cycle studio, with speedometers duct taped to the frame and flywheel. At least 5 bikers (while I was there) had their sensors come loose, so that a portion of their bike wasn't counted, and then they had to switch bikes (and set it up again) while I continued to spin away. Never mind that spinning at 150-160 reps/min in no way simulates a real race, but it is what it is. There was not a real clear "start time" or countdown to begin our wave. After about 20-30 seconds after the official start, one of the organizers said "OK, you should be racing now" even though they were still resetting people's odometers. Additionally, the 1st place finisher somehow went nearly twice as far as everyone else (or they forgot to reset the odometer?) The helpers were good at getting people towels or water if they needed, and they certainly were enthusiastic, and apologetic to the racers whose odometers got messed up.

I didn't do a good job of staying focused when people around me were having their odometer issues, and my "speed" would drop from the mid 40's to low 40s or even upper 30s. I did have a good kick at the end, but I certainly saved up too much
Transition 2
  • 05m
Comments:

straight forward. Get shoes on, go upstairs, stretch on treadmill, go.
Run
  • 20m
  • 2.86 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run for me, just exceeding my goal distance of 2.85. Had to slow down from sub-7 pace to 7:15 from 13:00 through 16:00, though had a strong kick at the end, running it up to 6:00 over the last minute, and 6:30 for the 2 minutes before.

Maybe try to push that middle a little more (keep at pace instead of slowing down). It seems to be as much a mental toughness issue as a physical toughness. Otherwise a great run for me, and nice to see improvement (went a 7:51 pace in March!)
Post race
Warm down:

light stretching, then just got ready to go. Knew my kids were waiting...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A little more mental toughness is needed (especially for such a short race), but otherwise exactly met my goals.

Event comments:

I'm not sure what a good solution is for the bike portion, but the duct taped speedometers just don't work. One of my friends finished 3rd on the swim and 1st on the run (3.18 miles, and the only person to break 3 miles), but had a bad bike and finished 24th (out of 54) after having to switch. It would have come down to the bike for him and me to win it. I'm pretty sure my cadence (and thus, speed) was faster anyway, but at least he should have had a fair shot.
Otherwise, the race went very smoothly. The workers were well organized and directed people through the facility well. It was also nice that we had a choice between red and black tech T-shirts (as I got a black one in the spring). While short, these races are a great way to assess progress over the course of the year. I'll definitely continue to do at least one each season, if not two (particularly if they're only $25).

Last updated: 2011-11-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:00 | 700 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 1/54
Performance: Good
First 100 was sub-1:20 (very fast for me). i tried to stretch it out and stay consistent, then picked it up in the last 3 minutes
Suit:
Course: Pool swim; had my own lane :)
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:00 | 22.5 miles | 45.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 7/54
Performance: Average
HR 155-170, avg around 163, cadence ~150, pushed to 160 at times
Wind:
Course: Spin bick
Road:   Cadence: 150
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:00 | 02.86 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 3/54
Avg HR 174, Started 171-172, drifted up, had to back down pace briefly, then turned it on over last 3 minutes, running HR up to 184
Course: Treadmill
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-11-21 7:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Subject: Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlon - Plymouth

2011-11-22 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3910823

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlon - Plymouth
Sounds like a frustrating race, but DUDE you got first place!!!!   
2011-11-24 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3911390

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Subject: RE: Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlon - Plymouth

BikerGrrrl - 2011-11-22 8:49 AM Sounds like a frustrating race, but DUDE you got first place!!!!   

Yeah, I hope I didn't sound like I was complaining, simply frustrated for the the other folks. I know I would have been pretty pissed if that had happened to me.  It was certainly gratifying to see my name at the top of the list when the results were posted! It goes to the thread from earlier this week on the tri talk forum about podium finishes...it's 95% about who shows up when I'm at this level of fitness. Steve in a Speedo would have kicked my butt.  I'm most impressed with the gains made since the spring (especially on the swim), and I know that after looking at peteweb's improvements from putting in much more time on the run, that I could hope to have big gains at the end of the race in the coming year.

Thanks again, Emily! happy turkey day!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlon - Plymouth Rss Feed