General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2012-11-22 9:04 AM
in reply to: #4506701

User image

Veteran
Avondale
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona : Official Thread
mroger82 - 2012-11-21 3:31 PMWho's in for 2013? I'm in along with my wife. We volunteered this year along with two other people. 16 others from my tri club also got in online which is amazing considering how fast it sold out.
My wife and I are in for 2013. This was our first year volunteering at an IM, and 2013 will be the first Ironma for both of us. We are so excited!

2012-11-22 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3911896

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
I ended up with an extra K-Swiss Finisher Jacket, men's medium.  Had my mom pick it up for me Monday morning, I was in no shape to go myself and she wasn't sure what size to get me.  For sale, $153 plus shipping, shoot me a message if interested.
2012-11-23 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

Congrats to all my fellow finishers for 2012 (race report to follow soon).

I will be back yet again for another round in 2013.

2011 - sub 13 hr finish

2012 - sub 12 hr finish

2013 - target is sub 11 hr finish - it all starts today!!

2012-11-23 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4507360

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

cjhild - 2012-11-22 1:41 PM I ended up with an extra K-Swiss Finisher Jacket, men's medium.  Had my mom pick it up for me Monday morning, I was in no shape to go myself and she wasn't sure what size to get me.  For sale, $153 plus shipping, shoot me a message if interested.

Can you post a picture?  I haven't seen what they look like yet?

2012-11-23 2:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodland Hills, CA
My report is up at destroyerdoug.com 
2012-11-24 5:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Anyone know if they produce an IM Arizona race DVD?

Nice race Destroyer, friggin' fast.

2012-11-24 6:00 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose
Finally got my race report up. Here it is: http://doingwhatilikelikingwhatido.blogspot.com/2012/11/ironman-arizona-2012.html
2012-11-24 7:10 PM
in reply to: #4508740

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
FF Stock - 2012-11-24 3:16 PM

Anyone know if they produce an IM Arizona race DVD?

Nice race Destroyer, friggin' fast.

Dunno about a DVD, but here is a link to the race day video if you haven't seen it yet...

2012-11-24 8:09 PM

User image

New York

Great day, 1st Ironman done!  SAid as soon as I was done, "never again."  But two days later....I'm pretty sure I can beat this year's time! 

Thanks to all the Volunteers.

Kat

2012-11-24 9:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
I wasn't aware of this, and just found it, so I thought I'd post here in case others didn't know as well.  On Ironmanlive.com, they have segments of the finish in about 2 hour increments.  So, you can find the time spread when you finished and see your finish.  I saw Jorge post earlier about the stream of the day, so he gets the credit for me finding the individual segments.  If I'm late to the party and everyone knew this, then just carry on and ignore this!
2012-11-24 10:01 PM
in reply to: #4508888

User image

Extreme Veteran
kmac1346 - 2012-11-24 8:21 PMI wasn't aware of this, and just found it, so I thought I'd post here in case others didn't know as well.  On Ironmanlive.com, they have segments of the finish in about 2 hour increments.  So, you can find the time spread when you finished and see your finish.  I saw Jorge post earlier about the stream of the day, so he gets the credit for me finding the individual segments.  If I'm late to the party and everyone knew this, then just carry on and ignore this!
I didn't know about it, so glad you posted!

2012-11-26 1:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin

Looks like almost everybody had great races...sorry to hear about Sara's race.

while I managed a finish, 16:40 was not exactly what I had planned... a difficult swim with people laying on my legs (yeah, maybe I DID look like a rubber lounger out there) and a few swimming on top of me. I managed to knock off a couple freeloaders before getting kicked pretty hard in the right thigh. Still managed a faster swim than my first in IMFL last year, so at least there is one positive. But that kick lasted through the ride, pretty much tightening up enough that my ride was slower than I had hoped. By the time I got off the bike, lower back pain and a right IT flared up... So I ended up walking most of the run. All of you passed me at least once, but I am happy for all your finishes - proud of my IM newbie friends, and very happy for my repeat finishers as well.

I laughed when I heard the "one and done" who said... "I should be able to beat that time" - yeah, welcome to our addiction... "my name is Pat, and I am an Ironman junkie"...

Congrats Destroyer! The rest of you all rock too! And I apologize to those of you who may have been mangled by the IronHeart camera crews. Should be an interesting documentary.

Given all the things that went on this year, I was happy to enjoy every moment. Thanks for a great year, folks!

2012-11-26 2:53 PM
in reply to: #4510464

User image

Sensei
Sin City
triplebypat - 2012-11-26 11:06 AM

Looks like almost everybody had great races...sorry to hear about Sara's race.

while I managed a finish, 16:40 was not exactly what I had planned... a difficult swim with people laying on my legs (yeah, maybe I DID look like a rubber lounger out there) and a few swimming on top of me. I managed to knock off a couple freeloaders before getting kicked pretty hard in the right thigh. Still managed a faster swim than my first in IMFL last year, so at least there is one positive. But that kick lasted through the ride, pretty much tightening up enough that my ride was slower than I had hoped. By the time I got off the bike, lower back pain and a right IT flared up... So I ended up walking most of the run. All of you passed me at least once, but I am happy for all your finishes - proud of my IM newbie friends, and very happy for my repeat finishers as well.

I laughed when I heard the "one and done" who said... "I should be able to beat that time" - yeah, welcome to our addiction... "my name is Pat, and I am an Ironman junkie"...

Congrats Destroyer! The rest of you all rock too! And I apologize to those of you who may have been mangled by the IronHeart camera crews. Should be an interesting documentary.

Given all the things that went on this year, I was happy to enjoy every moment. Thanks for a great year, folks!

Good work with Ironheart.  As it goes.  A coworker of mine is the swim coach of one of your crew here in Vegas - so I was keeping my eye out for you guys.

ALSO, the 6'7" guy married to the showgirl that Mike mentioned at the pre race dinner was ME!  *blush*.  I put that on as a joke (even though it's true).  Figures the most interesting thing about ME, is my wife....

2012-11-26 9:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California

If anyone bought the black Finisher's Jacket in an XL and would prefer a L, I bought a L and would prefer an XL.  Guess I was optimistic that I'd shrunk or something. PM me if interested.

Hope all are/have recovered well.

2012-11-28 2:09 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
2012-11-28 10:34 PM

I did see the video! In fact, I'm in it! I'm right around thed 3 min mark. Pretty cool to be in there! I had a great race. Everything went pretty well. I stuck to my nutrition plan and never bonked. I even got to finish with my dad which was pretty awesome. congrats everyone!

2012-11-29 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA

Sorry I haven't kept up on this thread.  Been busy since the finish. 

I had the time of my life, even though it was a pretty tough day.  I was surprised how crowded the swim was.  I assumed it would thin out after the first two hundred yards or so.  I had people on me pretty much up until the turn-around.  The swim back was fairly uneventful; however, the volunteer pulling me out of the water knocked my Garmin 910 off my wrist, which promptly sunk to the bottom of the lake.  So I had no HR monitor/watch etc for the remainder of the day.  Had to base bike and run solely by feel.

Took it easy on the first loop of the bike, I don't have very many hills where I live, so I know even the modest climb in AZ would be somewhat challenging.  The return trip down the hill, on the first loop was a LOT of fun.  Just after hitting Beeline on my second loop, my right hamstring completely siezed up on me.  Had to get off the bike and stretch it for a couple of minutes before I could go again.  Continued to cramp up the rest of the time on the bike.  I'd have to get off and stretch it for a few minutes every few miles, and I couldn't get any power out of it without it flaring up.  Made for a 2 hour longer bike split than I anticipated.  I was petrified I'd have to either give up, or miss a time cut-off.

Started the run with shin-splints, which I've NEVER had problems with.  I suspect it was from a modified pedal stroke in trying to ward off my hamstring issues on the bike.  It loosened up after the first two miles, during which I had real doubts about finishing.  I was able to run/walk, though not at the pace I'd been training at, due to periods of dizzy/lightheadedness.  The Coke, grapes, and oranges, as well as ALL of the aid station volunteers were incredible.  

I saw my wife and kids on the bridge with 5 miles to go.  Funny part was, while they were cheering wildly, I had no clue how much time remained, or what pace I was averaging.    

Finally crossed the finish line at 16:21:17, well short of my target.  Lindsey Corbin put my medal on me, which was cool. 

Despite everything, I don't think I ever stopped smiling the entire day.  Even when my watch came off, my first thought was, gonna have to do this old-school.  I can't wait to do it all again.

Thanks everyone.

2012-11-29 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4515069

User image

Scottsdale, AZ

Mandsberry -

Very cool writeup!  I would FREAK if I lost my watch before the bike and run so props to you for holding your composure.  

Also, awesome signature.  I'll be doing IMAZ 2013 as part of Team Tillman. 

2012-11-29 5:58 PM
in reply to: #4515069

User image

Regular
mandsberry - 2012-11-29 2:12 PM

Sorry I haven't kept up on this thread.  Been busy since the finish. 

I had the time of my life, even though it was a pretty tough day.  I was surprised how crowded the swim was.  I assumed it would thin out after the first two hundred yards or so.  I had people on me pretty much up until the turn-around.  The swim back was fairly uneventful; however, the volunteer pulling me out of the water knocked my Garmin 910 off my wrist, which promptly sunk to the bottom of the lake.  So I had no HR monitor/watch etc for the remainder of the day.  Had to base bike and run solely by feel.

Took it easy on the first loop of the bike, I don't have very many hills where I live, so I know even the modest climb in AZ would be somewhat challenging.  The return trip down the hill, on the first loop was a LOT of fun.  Just after hitting Beeline on my second loop, my right hamstring completely siezed up on me.  Had to get off the bike and stretch it for a couple of minutes before I could go again.  Continued to cramp up the rest of the time on the bike.  I'd have to get off and stretch it for a few minutes every few miles, and I couldn't get any power out of it without it flaring up.  Made for a 2 hour longer bike split than I anticipated.  I was petrified I'd have to either give up, or miss a time cut-off.

Started the run with shin-splints, which I've NEVER had problems with.  I suspect it was from a modified pedal stroke in trying to ward off my hamstring issues on the bike.  It loosened up after the first two miles, during which I had real doubts about finishing.  I was able to run/walk, though not at the pace I'd been training at, due to periods of dizzy/lightheadedness.  The Coke, grapes, and oranges, as well as ALL of the aid station volunteers were incredible.  

I saw my wife and kids on the bridge with 5 miles to go.  Funny part was, while they were cheering wildly, I had no clue how much time remained, or what pace I was averaging.    

Finally crossed the finish line at 16:21:17, well short of my target.  Lindsey Corbin put my medal on me, which was cool. 

Despite everything, I don't think I ever stopped smiling the entire day.  Even when my watch came off, my first thought was, gonna have to do this old-school.  I can't wait to do it all again.

Thanks everyone.

By chance are you the guy that asked me my pace?  Then ran with me for a mile or so at about 9:45 min/mile?  If so - I didn't know you were a bt'r!  If not - you'll want to know you're not the only one who lost their garmin in the swim!

I had a great race, physically.  All went exactly as planned, even best case scenario, physically...  My issue was on the bike.  About 5 miles from the end of loop one I had a flat.  It was a darn cactus thorn!  Took my time changing the tube, didn't get frustrated.  I was proud of myself.  Got back on the bike, rode into Tempe, waved and my family and headed out for loop two.  About 10 miles out of town, psssssst - another flat!!  Didn't quite keep my cool on this one.  Cried, cussed, used my last tube and cartridge, and got back on the bike.  Thankfully, this one held, and I made it to the run!  

I was so frustrated by the run, that I wasn't going to let anything stop me.  Missed my marathon PR by a minute!  Finished in 13:01 - checked my garmin after, and my "moving time" was 12:20 - so it took my roughly 40 minutes of dealing with flats!  I'll definitely do another Ironman, just not sure when...

Congrats to all the other finishers and starters!  What a day!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 70