General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Longer runs = blisters - what to do Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-22 1:56 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
Subject: Longer runs = blisters - what to do

I'm currently training for a January marathon and Thursday will be my longest run to date at 16 miles.  I've never had blister issues with shorter (sub 10 mi) runs, but they are cropping up despite using Body Glide.  I have a vague recollection when I was running a lot (45-60 miles a week) 10 years ago that this happens to me with longer mileage.

I figured out why I got a bad one on each of my #4 toes last week - pinky toenails were too long.  Easy fix.  But what about the ones on the balls/sides of balls of my feet?  They seem to crop up where I have a wrinkle in the skin right along the edge.

Should I band-aid up my toes (like a guitarist will do for fingers) for Thursdays long distance?  And slap something on the balls of my feet, but what?

What works best for you?

FYI, it doesn't seem to matter whether I wear my Mizuno Wave Riders with socks or either pairs of my Zoots - Advantage and Ultra - without socks.  I do body glide them up but think I'm going to need something a little bit more.

2011-11-22 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3911980

User image

Expert
Savannah
Subject: RE: Longer runs = blisters - what to do

Body glide has always worked for me but it sounds like you've already tried that. 

Edited by mktoson 2011-11-22 2:10 PM
2011-11-22 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN

I'm in the same boat as you right now, training for Disney.  And I'm getting ridiculous blisters during anything longer than 10 miles.  I ought to buy stock in SC Johnson & Co for the number of Bandaids I'm going through.  The other thing I've tried recently are those funny socks that look like gloves for your toes.  Alot of my blisters were from my toes rubbing together, and these socks seem to help with that.

2011-11-22 2:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Riverdal NJ
I have no idea if this would work for running as (knocks on wood) I haven't gotten blisters yet. But when I was backpacking long distances I used to carry moleskin it my pack. It can usually be found in the foot care section of the drug store. Its basically a slightly thicker fabric band-aid without the gauze. It worked well for blisters in backpacking and hiking. 
2011-11-22 2:32 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
I've suffered hardcore from blisters for years (and in fact, got very very ill with blood poisoning this fall after a blister became infected). The thing that has worked best for me is wearing Injinji brand toe socks for running with lots of Body Glide.
2011-11-22 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Go a size larger on your shoes and wear them loose. I had really bad blisters going into my first marathon and had shoes fit by another shop and I trusted their advice and went blister free a week later.

2011-11-22 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3912054

User image

Oviedo, Florida

cbrave - 2011-11-22 3:32 PM Go a size larger on your shoes and wear them loose. I had really bad blisters going into my first marathon and had shoes fit by another shop and I trusted their advice and went blister free a week later.

X2. Going a 1/2 size larger in my shoe worked for me as well.

2011-11-22 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3912054

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
cbrave - 2011-11-22 2:32 PM

Go a size larger on your shoes and wear them loose. I had really bad blisters going into my first marathon and had shoes fit by another shop and I trusted their advice and went blister free a week later.

I got real bad blisters on my heal when I did this.

Just deal with them, your feet will toughen up eventually. In the meantime, pop them with a pin and drain them. Clean with Peroxide. Leave the skin there till it falls off. It will act as a cushion. Keep trying body glide, or spray on some tri-slide.
2011-11-22 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I will assume you're wearing a good wicking sock and not cotton. Some people have had success with the double layer socks from Wrights Socks. The Injinji toe socks mentioned several times work for me. I've also found that rubbing my anti-perspirant stick all over my feet helps keep them dryer, and it's the moisture combined with rubbing that creates blisters. I had severe blisters after several marathons and the Injinji socks, anti-perspirant, and Bodyglide together kept the blisters away for my last several marathons.
2011-11-22 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim
Roomy, minimalist shoes cured all my blister & foot pain issues.
2011-11-22 4:03 PM

Regular
Houston
I have found along with what others have said about the socks and body glide, that making sure I am well hydrated with electrolytes helps with blisters.  When I am wearing my combat boots I used to get really bad blisters all the time, then I switched socks to a kind with like silver threads or something in them.  After that I have never gotten blisters even with brand new boots and 20+ mile ruck marches.

2011-11-22 4:07 PM
in reply to: #3912138

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

I'd go with a size larger shoe and keep using BodyGlide.  Perhaps spray on some Tri-Slide on your socks before putting them on?  I like the antiperspirant idea.  I remember using Tri-slide by itself a couple times and it failed after about 4 miles during the run segment of an Oly I raced this year.  Burning blistery feet galore! >.<

2011-11-22 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3912052

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN

meggfishy - 2011-11-22 2:32 PM I've suffered hardcore from blisters for years (and in fact, got very very ill with blood poisoning this fall after a blister became infected). The thing that has worked best for me is wearing Injinji brand toe socks for running with lots of Body Glide.

Yeah, that's what those things are called.  They've worked pretty well for me so far.

2011-11-22 4:25 PM

User image

Buttercup

Some things to consider:

• Make sure you are sized correctly. I am a full-size longer in my running shoes than my dress shoes (7.5 trainers, 6.5 pumps/loafers/sandals)
  • Make sure you wear running socks - i.e. no cotton
  • If your feet sweat a lot, consider using a running sock that has silver in them; they are noticeably drier and will conduct heat away from your foot
  • Make sure you are in the right type of shoe. If you are bearing your weight disproportionately across the ball of your foot, you are going to chafe where you might not normally chafe or callous.

I started running 6 years ago. The only time I've ever gotten blisters while running was during a marathon race during which it rained for the first 8 miles of my race. My feet were wet and the skin softened and wrinkled; by mile 13, I got blisters where the wrinkles appeared. Hit it with some petroleum jelly and went on my way.

If you're getting blisters, something is amiss.

2011-11-22 6:23 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

Thanks for all the hints!  I do some of them - feet get a good coating of Body Glide whether or not I am wearing the Mizunos with socks or the Zoots without - so far that has worked for up to 10mi (although I didn't have any trouble with my 1/2 mary in the Zoots).

I went to The Running Lab in OC early this year and had my foot/gait analyzed and my feet sized (this was post stress fracture, so felt it was doubly important to protect my poor feet).  They are the ones who put me in the Mizunos and got me back on my feet so to speak.  I really actually prefer the minimalist Zoots.

I wear Thorlos socks when I do wear socks - I think I will give the Injinji a try.

I wear a 9.5 "dress" shoe and an 11 or 12 running shoe depending on the brand.

I like the deodorant idea - will try that with the Body Glide.  It doesn't feel like my feet get too sweaty (not like when I was a kid), but dry feet would be the best.

I think I'll wrap the #4 toes with bandaids and put a couple in my water carrier just in case.  The weird thing was I didn't even know I had blisters until I took my shoes off after the race.

2011-11-22 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3912094

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
davetib - 2011-11-22 4:49 PM

cbrave - 2011-11-22 3:32 PM Go a size larger on your shoes and wear them loose. I had really bad blisters going into my first marathon and had shoes fit by another shop and I trusted their advice and went blister free a week later.

X2. Going a 1/2 size larger in my shoe worked for me as well.

X3.

My wife on the other hand had to resort to taping her feet with Kineseo tape.  It worked wonders for her.  She got some great information from the book "Fixing your feet".

2011-11-22 8:33 PM

Master

Bodyglide will help. But you should also investigate other types of shoes - although it is fairly late in the season.

After your Jan marathon, if blisters are still limiting, consider running in a barefoot/minimalist shoe, no kidding. Once you're shod of the shoe, blisters are rare. You'd think you'd callus the bottom of your foot but it doesn't happen either - stays soft and supple like leather - in fact, if you have any calluses to begin with, they'll get worn down (like a pumice stone treatment!)

2011-11-22 8:40 PM

User image

I use thick thorlo socks - they work for me. Also my running shoes are bigger than my other shoes. And before long runs I cover my feet/ toes with Vaseline. Band-aids don't stick where I put them under my socks so they cause more problems for me than they help.
2011-11-23 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX

I think the people who really know about blisters are people in the ultra running community. There are a number of web sites out there that you can check out with great prevention and care advice. I've included one good starting place below. If you search on "ultra running blister" you'll find a bunch more. After you're on your feet for a couple hours, things start to swell and change shape, so it's pretty common to have these issues just on long runs......especially if you're running in warm or really humid conditions.

http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/training/

Shoe sizes (lengths and widths) may be something you really want to look into. Do your blister areas correspond to seams or any unusual stitching or features on your shoes or insoles? A lot of ultra runners have good success with two very thin socks. You see a lot of people who go this route wear a toe-sock base layer followed by another thin sock on top. Lacing of your shoes cna also change the way they fit and the amount of slip your foot experiences, especially going down hills.

Personally, I've had a few shoes in the last five years that have given me blisters on runs/races of a few hours but were just fine on shorter runs. I concluded that these were not the right shoes for me. Changed brands / models and no longer have this problem. This may be something to talk to some of the shoe guru's about and have them really take a look at the size and features of your foot.

Taping can certainly be effective, both as a preventative technique and after a blister has formed. Lots of different tapes are available, so I'd suggest trying several different types. I think you'll have a lot better results with tape than with bandaids.

There are lots of different things to try. I'd suggest working you way through different tips / techniques to find what works for you. If you keep experimenting, you'll find the right combination for you.

2011-11-23 12:25 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
DiOnMaui - 2011-11-22 1:56 PM

I'm currently training for a January marathon and Thursday will be my longest run to date at 16 miles.  I've never had blister issues with shorter (sub 10 mi) runs, but they are cropping up despite using Body Glide.  I have a vague recollection when I was running a lot (45-60 miles a week) 10 years ago that this happens to me with longer mileage.

I figured out why I got a bad one on each of my #4 toes last week - pinky toenails were too long.  Easy fix.  But what about the ones on the balls/sides of balls of my feet?  They seem to crop up where I have a wrinkle in the skin right along the edge.

Should I band-aid up my toes (like a guitarist will do for fingers) for Thursdays long distance?  And slap something on the balls of my feet, but what?

What works best for you?

FYI, it doesn't seem to matter whether I wear my Mizuno Wave Riders with socks or either pairs of my Zoots - Advantage and Ultra - without socks.  I do body glide them up but think I'm going to need something a little bit more.

Are you wearing good socks, made for running? Or cheap socks?

2011-11-23 12:37 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
One of the reasons I hated running and stopped was due to blisters. I tried what I thought was everything, socks, shoes, a visit to the podiatrist and never solved the problem. What worked best for me was using the spray on bandaid stuff. It seemed to keep my blister free for longer.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Longer runs = blisters - what to do Rss Feed