General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A Triathletes rant and confusion on weight loss Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-04-02 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4123635

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: A Triathletes rant and confusion on weight loss
FrankieWood - 2012-04-01 8:36 PM

I don't have the all the answers, but I can tell you a few things I learned along the way to  losing 50 pounds and getting close to my goal weight. 

1.  A calorie is NOT a calorie is NOT a calorie.  3 eggs on brown toast is NOT the same as a snickers bar regardless of the calorie count.  It is a whole lot more complex than that.  A balanced approach high in fresh foods, complex carbs and lean proteins is the only way to lose weight in the long run.  And, no matter how gloriously delicious, no-one ever lost weight drinking beer post-workout.  Sorry.  Just not gonna happen.  Save the beer for a Saturday night treat.

2.  It is really easy to overeat after a workout.  I plan snacks that are roughly 1/2 the calories that I have burned during the workout.  A high cardio workout calls for a medium high carb snack, weight training calls for a high protein snack.  Bot DO eat - starving yourself is a sure fire way to put the brakes on weight loss as your body goes into protection mode.

3.  Listen to your body.  Everyone's body reacts differently and no-one else has the perfect advice for you.  My body functions well with lots of protein and very little carb, but not everyone works that way.  Pay close attention to your body and it will tell you what it genuinely wants.

4.  The apple trick - if you think you're hungry, think about about eating an apple.  If that sounds appealing, you are actually hungry - eat an apple.  If it doesn't, you aren't hungry - either thirsty or having a bad craving.  Drink water.

This x1000. You may not have ALL the answers, but in my estimation, these are four of the top ones.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A Triathletes rant and confusion on weight loss Rss Feed  

of 2