Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Urban Meyer to be a Buckeye? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-11-28 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3918143

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: Urban Meyer to be a Buckeye?
pitt83 - 2011-11-28 7:49 PM

Props to the athletic department. Luke Fickel will remain on the coaching staff. Great move IMO. The underclassmen know and respect him.

I like this situation.
Meyer and Smith (AD) had a lot of great things to say about Fickell. He truly is a class act!

2011-11-29 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3918152

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

jacasa - 2011-11-28 8:00 PM
pitt83 - 2011-11-28 7:49 PM Props to the athletic department. Luke Fickel will remain on the coaching staff. Great move IMO. The underclassmen know and respect him. I like this situation.
Meyer and Smith (AD) had a lot of great things to say about Fickell. He truly is a class act!

Fickel may be a class act but your new head coach isn't. 

Recruited kids at Florida.  Sat in their kitchens and living rooms and talked about loyalty and the Gator Nation, and how he would be there.

UF gives him a contract extension until 2014 making him the highest paid coach in the SEC and one of the top 5 highest paid coaches in college football.

Then after Tebow leaves, and after his recruited QB looks like he isn't going to make it, and after being pummeled by UF's arch rival, he leaves.

He holds a press conference and says that he is leaving to spend more time with his family.

Less than 1 year later he takes the OSU job.  The kids he recruited, and lied to, can't leave UF for another school without lossing a year of eligibility. 

Then in an interview last night he talks about his daughter having him sign a contract for his family, and how he is going to put them first and not in front of coaching.  Wait I thought that's why he stopped coaching to be with his family.

The guy is a total bum.

2011-11-29 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3913021

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
"I made this clear to Jeremy Foley (Univ. of Florida Athletic Director), if I am able to go coach, I want to coach at one place, the University of Florida. It would be a travesty, it would be ridiculous to all of a sudden come back and get the feeling back, get the health back, feel good again and then all of a sudden go throw some other colors on my shirt and go coach? I don't want to do that. I have too much love for this University and these players and for what we've built." --  Urban Meyer
2011-11-29 1:26 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
Tell us how you really feel.
2011-11-29 7:52 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

The guy is a hell of a coach but watching him try to explain his way out of his previous statements at his press conference was just comical. He must have used the word "reflect" a dozen times.

2011-11-29 8:34 PM

Veteran
Urban Meyer was a great coach a Florida but I think he burned out and is coming back to soon. He definitely lost that "edge" that makes someone a great coach instead of a good one. Also, I know there are great players in Ohio, etc. but the talent in Florida, Alabama, and Georgia is second to none, which was his recruiting base. I doubt seriously if he will bring a national championship to OSU before he leaves. Just my .02.

2011-11-29 9:37 PM
in reply to: #3919766

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
kdlsch111 - 2011-11-29 9:34 PM

Urban Meyer was a great coach a Florida but I think he burned out and is coming back to soon. He definitely lost that "edge" that makes someone a great coach instead of a good one. Also, I know there are great players in Ohio, etc. but the talent in Florida, Alabama, and Georgia is second to none, which was his recruiting base. I doubt seriously if he will bring a national championship to OSU before he leaves. Just my .02.

The state of Ohio is a mecca for high school football and is ranked 4th when it comes to the # of players in the NFL (ahead of Georgia and Alabama). I realize it sucks for some of you that Meyer goes where his heart is. Will he win a NC? Of course no one knows, but I LOVE his chances!! Go Bucks!!!
2011-11-29 9:58 PM
in reply to: #3919843

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

jacasa - 2011-11-29 7:37 PM
kdlsch111 - 2011-11-29 9:34 PM Urban Meyer was a great coach a Florida but I think he burned out and is coming back to soon. He definitely lost that "edge" that makes someone a great coach instead of a good one. Also, I know there are great players in Ohio, etc. but the talent in Florida, Alabama, and Georgia is second to none, which was his recruiting base. I doubt seriously if he will bring a national championship to OSU before he leaves. Just my .02.
The state of Ohio is a mecca for high school football and is ranked 4th when it comes to the # of players in the NFL (ahead of Georgia and Alabama). I realize it sucks for some of you that Meyer goes where his heart is. Will he win a NC? Of course no one knows, but I LOVE his chances!! Go Bucks!!!

At least until he retires to spend more time with his pet ferret.

2011-11-29 10:39 PM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas

jacasa - 2011-11-29 9:37 PM
kdlsch111 - 2011-11-29 9:34 PM Urban Meyer was a great coach a Florida but I think he burned out and is coming back to soon. He definitely lost that "edge" that makes someone a great coach instead of a good one. Also, I know there are great players in Ohio, etc. but the talent in Florida, Alabama, and Georgia is second to none, which was his recruiting base. I doubt seriously if he will bring a national championship to OSU before he leaves. Just my .02.

Meyer won at UF because he had Tebow and a great defensive coordinator.  Tebow's gone, and guess where that def. coordinator is now?  That's right, that wonderful school up north, where he turned around one of the worst defenses in the country last year to something pretty respectable this year, all with the same players.

Meyer is an ok coach, but he's not as great as everyone says or thinks.  He's not just going to walk into Buckeye land and magically bring you championships.

As for the one sided rivalry comment, you must either not know that Michigan leads the series, or you forgot about the Cooper years where UM went on a 10-2 run during the 90s.

No need to mention the game itself.  UM did all the talking it needed to on the field.  Just to think, if Hoke can win 10 games with personnel that don't fit into his system (or with players that RichRod didn't consider to be very good, especially on defense), what will he do when he gets his players into the system?  The future is looking pretty bright from my viewpoint.

Now I already can't wait for next year.

2011-11-30 7:45 AM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

jacasa - 2011-11-29 10:37 PM

It's nothing about him going where his heart is. (Of course he said mutliple times in press conferences that the UF job was his dream job)  I'm commenting on his personal character.  He's a liar and a scum bag.  Again, he used his children as a cloak to justify his leaving UF.  After recruiting kids, after talking about leaving and then returning, after telling recruits that he wasn't leaving and would be there. After saying what he did. 

The sad thing is that the kids that he recruited at UF, the kids he promissed he would be there as their coach if they went to UF, kids that were recruited by other top level schools, are now stuck, unless they want to lose a year of eligibility by sitting out a year and transferring.  But Urban, gets to go where ever he wants.

Just be ready when things start to go down hill, don't be surprised when he suffers more "health issues" and "family issues" and he jumps ship.  My prediction, you've got 5 years tops with him.

2011-11-30 7:56 AM

User image

NC

GO BUCKEYES! At least, for today.

2011-11-30 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3920171

User image

NC
Brock Samson - 2011-11-30 8:45 AM

The sad thing is that the kids that he recruited at UF, the kids he promissed he would be there as their coach if they went to UF, kids that were recruited by other top level schools, are now stuck, unless they want to lose a year of eligibility by sitting out a year and transferring.  But Urban, gets to go where ever he wants.

Welcome to big time football kids.

2011-11-30 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3920202

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Goosedog - 2011-11-30 8:57 AM
Brock Samson - 2011-11-30 8:45 AM

Welcome to big time football kids.

Yup.  Perhaps its time to change.  Perhaps some NCAA rule changes that impact the coaches elligibility to coach at an NCAA institution.  Something like if a team incurrs NCAA sanctions the coach cannot coach at another institution until the expiration of the sanctions.  If he stays at the school that got the sanctions, fine, no problem.  But no jumping ship while it goes down because of your violations.

Or this one, if you voluntarily leave an institution that you under contract with, you cannot coach at another NCAA insitution until your last recruiting class graduates.

2011-11-30 11:02 AM

Veteran
JACASA- Your point is well taken. I said Ohio has a lot of fine players but you didnt mention that Florida is ahead of Ohio in NFL players by almost a 2 to 1 margin. Also, Alabama and Georgia are very small states. I was talking about the three states "combined" talent is a huge reservoir and these kids typically "stay home". If he hopes to win another national championship he will have to broaden his recruiting practices. Keep in mind a lot of the best recruits in Ohio, PA., and N.J. head south to the SEC.  But my main point is still it takes so much effort to do what he did at Florida and he was a shell of himself his last year there. To do what he did at Florida his family cant come first. However, I hope he does great!
2011-11-30 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3920565

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
kdlsch111 - 2011-11-30 12:02 PM

JACASA- Your point is well taken. I said Ohio has a lot of fine players but you didnt mention that Florida is ahead of Ohio in NFL players by almost a 2 to 1 margin. Also, Alabama and Georgia are very small states. I was talking about the three states "combined" talent is a huge reservoir and these kids typically "stay home". If he hopes to win another national championship he will have to broaden his recruiting practices. Keep in mind a lot of the best recruits in Ohio, PA., and N.J. head south to the SEC.  But my main point is still it takes so much effort to do what he did at Florida and he was a shell of himself his last year there. To do what he did at Florida his family cant come first. However, I hope he does great!

OSU currently has 8 Florida and 3 Georgia kids on their roster. Meyer talked at his press conference about the need to recruit "SEC" caliber kids (i.e. speed).

Keeping a fence around Ohio as much as you can while getting more speed should be well within Meyer and his soon to be staff's abilities.

Personally I think head coaches can be over rated as coaches. Was Tressel a great "coach" or was he a great CEO of a very large business? He surrounded himself with top notch assistant coaches and talent. Meyer spoke to the need to go out and find the best assistant coaches in the country. And like it or not Ohio State is one of the top jobs in the country for coaching.
2011-11-30 3:02 PM

User image

Expert

2011-11-30 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3920937

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
ajusf16 - 2011-11-30 4:02 PM

O-H

I - O!!

2011-12-01 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3920914

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

jacasa - 2011-11-30 3:47 PM
kdlsch111 - 2011-11-30 12:02 PM JACASA- Your point is well taken. I said Ohio has a lot of fine players but you didnt mention that Florida is ahead of Ohio in NFL players by almost a 2 to 1 margin. Also, Alabama and Georgia are very small states. I was talking about the three states "combined" talent is a huge reservoir and these kids typically "stay home". If he hopes to win another national championship he will have to broaden his recruiting practices. Keep in mind a lot of the best recruits in Ohio, PA., and N.J. head south to the SEC.  But my main point is still it takes so much effort to do what he did at Florida and he was a shell of himself his last year there. To do what he did at Florida his family cant come first. However, I hope he does great!
OSU currently has 8 Florida and 3 Georgia kids on their roster. Meyer talked at his press conference about the need to recruit "SEC" caliber kids (i.e. speed). Keeping a fence around Ohio as much as you can while getting more speed should be well within Meyer and his soon to be staff's abilities. Personally I think head coaches can be over rated as coaches. Was Tressel a great "coach" or was he a great CEO of a very large business? He surrounded himself with top notch assistant coaches and talent. Meyer spoke to the need to go out and find the best assistant coaches in the country. And like it or not Ohio State is one of the top jobs in the country for coaching.

Like it or not so is the Florida job...

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Urban Meyer to be a Buckeye? Rss Feed  

of 2